Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanzisripped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hi, I created an account here just to give some information to those that are in the same boat as myself.

First things first, I bought a "non-commitment" AT&T iPhone 5 from the Apple Store at full price.

I then took my current straight talk micro-SIM and cut it down to nano-size (Using the AT&T nano-SIM as a pattern). Just as an fyi, you will need to get some sand paper to finely tune the shape, as it is harder because it's much smaller than the micro. You also have to make it "thinner" as well using the sand paper. Once you get it to fit correctly in the SIM tray, insert it into the phone and then turn it on. Then I plugged it into itunes for activation.

Once this was complete I got the awesome "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message!

While you won't get LTE and what not (I don't really care), Straight Talk users can still get the $45 dollars a month service with the iPhone 5.

jhnlive

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for the headsup

Hi, I created an account here just to give some information to those that are in the same boat as myself.

First things first, I bought a "non-commitment" AT&T iPhone 5 from the Apple Store at full price.

I then took my current straight talk micro-SIM and cut it down to nano-size (Using the AT&T nano-SIM as a pattern). Just as an fyi, you will need to get some sand paper to finely tune the shape, as it is harder because it's much smaller than the micro. You also have to make it "thinner" as well using the sand paper. Once you get it to fit correctly in the SIM tray, insert it into the phone and then turn it on. Then I plugged it into itunes for activation.

Once this was complete I got the awesome "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message!

While you won't get LTE and what not (I don't really care), Straight Talk users can still get the $45 dollars a month service with the iPhone 5.

I use StraightTalk with my iPhone 4S. Other day I was in the Apple store and they said they didn't start selling the unlocked iPhone 5 yet. They said even if I pay the full price, the phone would be locked to AT&T. So I thought waiting few more weeks are worthy. But if your story is true, its a great news that the phone also get unlocked! :)

hanzisripped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah, I don't know what is up with all the conflicting information. I asked an Apple Store employee if the AT&T iPhone would be unlocked and they said NO, even if purchased at full price. I decided to take a chance later that day and I figure Apple has a good return policy if it wasn't unlocked.

So I went back to the store, and when I went to purchase the phone and you have to "sign" the AT&T purchase Terms on the Apple Store employee's iPhone, he actually signed it for me and put "Unlocked." =\

Oh well, as consumers at least we win. We can buy an AT&T iPhone 5 at full price and use whatever pre-paid service we want. I also just heard that you can do the same with a Verizon phone. Maybe someday phones will always be unlocked...

RilesPro

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012

This is awesome news, thank you so much for taking the time to share!

BUT THE QUESTION IS: does every function of ios6 work properly on straight talk?

My iPhone 4S is a sprint one running jailbroken and unlocked on straight talk the problem is FaceTime, iMessage will not activate on ST additionally my phone number is listed as "unknown" under settings. I fixed this but it requires a jailbreak to modify (see my YouTube video).

Perhaps this problem only applies because it was not and AT&T iPhone to begin with.

Can you clarify?

Anyone else try ST with the VZ iPhone 5?

AudioFileZ

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
The news is out there now that if you buy an iPhone 5 from Verizon and pay the early term fee (reportedly $350) you have a true unlocked iPhone that is usable with either network. So my question is if anyone here has done this or knows of a person who has? This seems almost too good to be true even at the price of the phone and termination fee.

hanzisripped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
This is awesome news, thank you so much for taking the time to share!

BUT THE QUESTION IS: does every function of ios6 work properly on straight talk?

My iPhone 4S is a sprint one running jailbroken and unlocked on straight talk the problem is FaceTime, iMessage will not activate on ST additionally my phone number is listed as "unknown" under settings. I fixed this but it requires a jailbreak to modify (see my YouTube video).

Perhaps this problem only applies because it was not and AT&T iPhone to begin with.

Can you clarify?

Anyone else try ST with the VZ iPhone 5?

I don't have any issues with texting, iMessage, my number shows up fine and since the Straight Talk microSIMs use AT&Ts network, Facetime over cellular shouldn't work (as we all know how AT&T feels about that) but I haven't tried it. The only issue is with MMS (which requires jailbreaking with Straight Talk), but iMessage takes care of this.

Last edited:

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009

I then took my current straight talk micro-SIM and cut it down to nano-size (Using the AT&T nano-SIM as a pattern). Just as an fyi, you will need to get some sand paper to finely tune the shape, as it is harder because it's much smallerc than the micro. You also have to make it "thinner" as well using the sand paper. Once you get it to fit correctly in the SIM tray, insert it into the phone and then turn it on. Then I plugged it into itunes for activation.

Everything you said I did the exact same thing last friday even sanding down the edges of my sim card, please note there is no need to make the sim card thinner this has been confirmed on various websites. If you also buying a no commitment att iphone 5, it will unlock itself once you update to the same ios 6 software, this is confirmed by me. I am on att prepaid $25 a month have no issues except for mms which I need to work on....

covac8

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012

hey hanzi, how much was your non-commitment AT&T iPhone 5?

----------

Everything you said I did the exact same thing last friday even sanding down the edges of my sim card, please note there is no need to make the sim card thinner this has been confirmed on various websites. If you also buying a no commitment att iphone 5, it will unlock itself once you update to the same ios 6 software, this is confirmed by me. I am on att prepaid $25 a month have no issues except for mms which I need to work on....

how are you guys getting the iPhone5 without a contract? I thought that you have to get the contract in order to get an iPhone5? Also, how do you update the software....does it prompt you once you insert the ST sim?

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
hey hanzi, how much was your non-commitment AT&T iPhone 5?

----------

how are you guys getting the iPhone5 without a contract? I thought that you have to get the contract in order to get an iPhone5? Also, how do you update the software....does it prompt you once you insert the ST sim?

Yes, just tell them youre buying it as a gift so no activation. I paid $650 + $60 in tax. You must have a sim when updating if you want it unlocked through att/apple server

RilesPro

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I don't have any issues with texting, iMessage, my number shows up fine and since the Straight Talk microSIMs use AT&Ts network, Facetime over cellular shouldn't work (as we all know how AT&T feels about that) but I haven't tried it. The only issue is with MMS (which requires jailbreaking with Straight Talk), but iMessage takes care of this.

Awesome! Thanks for the explaining that!

Let's keep this thread alive we're off to a good start..

1. Does anyone have experience with the Verizon iPhone 5 working on Straight Talk also with iMessage working properly? I can think of several reasons the VZ iPhone might be preferred down the road.

2. Does anyone know how to get MMS working without a jailbreak required? iMessage is great but also MMS even better. Unlockit.nz?

jjwebbjj

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
FaceTime over Cellular on Straight Talk

I was initially running iOS 6 Beta on my iPhone 4S and Facetime worked well over cellular. I am now running the real iOS 6 on it and the last time I tried making a Facetime Call over Cellular it still worked. So even though we are under AT&T's network it doesn't prevent us from using FaceTime

hanzisripped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012

This is not entirely true, I bought a non-commitment AT&T iPhone 5 from Radio Shack and it would not unlock itself like the non-commitment AT&T iPhone I bought from the Apple store, so it matters where you buy it from. I ended up having to pay $10 from some dude on eBay to get an unlock.

Also, as I have just cut down another Straight Talk sim, I can tell you that it is too thick and I couldn't put the tray back in without feeling like I was going to bust it. After sanding it down a bit with a nail filler to make it thinner, the sim tray inserted in with ease just like the AT&T nano sim.

bigab51

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Verizon Iphone 5 with Straight Talk

I purchased a 64gig Verizon Iphone 5 from somebody off Craigslist (800 dollars)
and cut the Straight talk micro sim down by hand with scissors using the another nano as a template and help from the internet and i have everything working perfectly. Imessage, Facetime etc all ok.
The sim fits if you cut correctly, it doesnt need to be made thinner. It will fit.
Great to be able to use the Iphone 5 with Straight talk. No LTE of course but i dont care about that, for me 3G is fast enough.
The Verizon Iphone is the one you should all get as they have made theres fully unlocked even under contract.
If you guys or girls have any questions would be glad to help.
:)

----------

Used unlockit.nz for the APN settings.

bigab51

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Was a great deal. Was used as far as him putting his sim in turning it on and realizing he doesn't like IOS and going back to his Android. Was only 2 days after the release of the Iphone 5. I am realizing every day how good a deal I got as I still watch Craigslist to see how much there going for. 64gig for 800 is a amazing deal I know, that's why I jumped on it.

L.A

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012

I had the exact same problem with MMS on ATT iPhone 4s. I tried the "hotswap" which means inserting an unsupported SIM card and then swiftly replacing it with a ST SIM so that you can edit the APN settings. Worked perfectly!

LookingforDoves

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Trying to figure out how to get one...

I'm just about to migrate to Straight Talk and I want an iPhone 5.

So far from this forum, if I go in and ask for a iPhone 5 as a gift, they'll sell me one... True?

But which one should I get? AT&T phone or the Verizon phone?

If I get the Verizon phone it'll be unlocked and AT&T won't?

Also where can I get a nanosim template?

Thanks

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
So with straight talk, can you use navigation apps like Waze?

How about streaming music or video?

wwetech

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
iphone 5 radioshack unlock

This is not entirely true, I bought a non-commitment AT&T iPhone 5 from Radio Shack and it would not unlock itself like the non-commitment AT&T iPhone I bought from the Apple store, so it matters where you buy it from. I ended up having to pay $10 from some dude on eBay to get an unlock.

Also, as I have just cut down another Straight Talk sim, I can tell you that it is too thick and I couldn't put the tray back in without feeling like I was going to bust it. After sanding it down a bit with a nail filler to make it thinner, the sim tray inserted in with ease just like the AT&T nano sim.

I bought a no contract iphone 5 16gb white from radioshack also and all I had to do is email my receipt to ATT and they unlocked within 4 hours.

qsatram

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I bought a no contract iphone 5 16gb white from radioshack also and all I had to do is email my receipt to ATT and they unlocked within 4 hours.

how to close account for no-commitment iphone5 ? Do I have to wait for 1 month and pay 1st month billing or Do it as soon I get the phone ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.