Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
I think this "protected" business is a red herring. I very much doubt Handbrake would have the ability to add copy protection.

If there's no problem with the DVD itself, I can only assume Handbrake is corrupted in some way. You could try removing and reinstalling it, or try a different application altogether.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
thanks for your response. Just to double check, will this let me edit bits out of my wedding dvds? The reason i want to rip the dvds is to import them into imovie as i am familiar with this and take out 2 minutes worth of footage along with the corresponding audio (some is background music, some places its the speech). I am looking for the best software (and easy to use) that will give me high resolution output. Everyone tells me handbrake is best for this but as you can see, I am having on going issues. For some reason my mac keeps 'protecting' all mp4's so useless to mpeg streamclip and imovies.

Just give a try to the MakeMKV (to rip into MPEG-2 MKV's) + MKVTools (to extract the MPEG-2 video stream to a separate video stream; same stands for the audio) combo. Trust me, the workflow will be quick and easy.

AppleButterfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Your workflow isn't optimal - you shouldn't convert to H.264 when ripping in the first place. iMovie can import MPEG-2 video just fine.

- Re-rip the DVD with MakeMKV (free)

- demux the video track from the MKV file via for example MKVTools (free) - simply extract the stream. (Make sure you use the beta version of MKVTools - download at http://www.emmgunn.com/betadownload.html )

This MPG stream can directly be imported by iMovie.

Using my steps, you not only will be able to read your stuff, but also avoid a generation loss (because of the lack of the unnecessary H.264 transcoding at the beginning) and save a LOT of time.

You can also (separately) extract / import audio tracks.

Let me know if you need a more verbose tutorial: I've written several on MPEG2 and H.264 re/demuxing/track extraction and DVD ripping with the above-mentioned tools and can paste them here. (Can't provide direct links to them as it'd be self-promotion.)

Ok so I went back to handbrake and instead of converting using H.264, I used mpeg 4 /ffmg and mpeg streamclip has taken it. The resulting images look somewhat pixelated and I'm just waiting to convert it to QuickTime to iMovies can accept it.

In case it is pixelated, could you please give a more verbose tutorial with your method? This is all new to me so literally it'll be a guide for a dummy! Thanks

----------

I think this "protected" business is a red herring. I very much doubt Handbrake would have the ability to add copy protection.

If there's no problem with the DVD itself, I can only assume Handbrake is corrupted in some way. You could try removing and reinstalling it, or try a different application altogether.

I don't think it's handbrake. It's the mac.

I did as the other person mentioned in the link I posted earlier and opened up a word and keynotes document and saved as normal. I then changed the file extension to mp4 and immediately the 'get info' showed up as the file was a protected mp4.

Not sure if apple know that the newer versions of mac are doing this but google searches have shown some MacBooks to do this also. Even if they never had handbrake installed (so it is not handbrake corrupting the file extension renaming).

AppleButterfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I disagree. OS X might be describing MP4 files with issues as "protected MPEG-4", but I'm 99% certain that's not the reason the file won't open.

what do you think it is? this whole thing is irritating me. Something that seems so simple in theory, is turning into a nightmare.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Ok so I went back to handbrake and instead of converting using H.264, I used mpeg 4 /ffmg and mpeg streamclip has taken it. The resulting images look somewhat pixelated and I'm just waiting to convert it to QuickTime to iMovies can accept it.

In case it is pixelated, could you please give a more verbose tutorial with your method? This is all new to me so literally it'll be a guide for a dummy!

The problem is still the same: you're trying to convert an already-converted, non-MPEG-2 video stream. If you stayed with the original MPEG-2 video stream, you would save a lot of time, improve quality (no generation loss) and, even better, it'd be imported into iMovie. I've quickly edited some of my earlier tutorials for you:

1, MakeMKV

The first step of the conversion is converting the DVD to MKV via MakeMKV (free download link). It's really a straightforward process: you, after clicking the first icon at the top left, either point MakeMKV to the disc drive (it's the default) or, if you have the (already-ripped) DVD files elsewhere, just browse to the VIDEO_TS.IFO in the VIDEO_TS directory. Then, all you need to do is clicking the third icon (save) and the DVD (or Blue Ray disc, for that matter) will be remuxed to the much more widely supported MKV format:

8978b66bce5a8977f97e9ac667d584c8-703x611.png

The files MakeMKV creates contain the audio, video and (possible) subtitle streams in exactly the same format they initially were, “only” in a brand new (MKV) container. (This is why the conversion is so fast!)

2, download the latest MKVTools beta from http://www.emmgunn.com/betadownload.html and open the MKV file. Select the video track; in the screenshot below, I've selected the subtitle tracks; you'll need to check in the one with "Video" instead.

Then, switch to the “Edit Tracks” tab (middle rectangle in the screenshot below)

Then, click the “Go” button (bottom-most rectangle in the screenshot below):

This was the video. What format are your audio tracks in? DTS? AC3? It's directly listed by both MKVTools and MediaInfo. Depending on their format, you may need to convert them to make them importable to iMovie.

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
what do you think it is? this whole thing is irritating me. Something that seems so simple in theory, is turning into a nightmare.

It's not clear, but the evidence so far points to a problem with Handbrake's encoding or packaging of the file. You could try trashing Handbrake's preferences. If that does no good, you could try to completely remove it from your system and then install it again. It might also be worth trying a different DVD. Do the problematic files play in VLC?

Bkxmnr

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Wichita, KS
Did you by chance try changing the .mpv extension to .mp4 and then try to import into iMovie? It seems to me that I was able to do that once.

AppleButterfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Did you by chance try changing the .mpv extension to .mp4 and then try to import into iMovie? It seems to me that I was able to do that once.

tried and failed. i am not sure what is happening!

----------

It's not clear, but the evidence so far points to a problem with Handbrake's encoding or packaging of the file. You could try trashing Handbrake's preferences. If that does no good, you could try to completely remove it from your system and then install it again. It might also be worth trying a different DVD. Do the problematic files play in VLC?

i just tried again to rename a word document to mp4 and it automatically said the file was protected. This doesnt even involve handbrake so its an issue with the mac.

----------

Ok so i have managed to rip a DVD and import into imovie. Now i have a major issue with pixelation. Since this is a new issue, i have posted a new forum. Thanks for everyone's help thus far. :eek:

----------

Ok so i have managed to rip a DVD and import into imovie. Now i have a major issue with pixelation. Since this is a new issue, i have posted a new forum. Thanks for everyone's help thus far. :eek:

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
i just tried again to rename a word document to mp4 and it automatically said the file was protected. This doesnt even involve handbrake so its an issue with the mac.

When I rip a DVD in Handbrake, I too get "protected MPEG-4" when I click Get Info. But I'm still able to open and edit it. That's why I'm saying it's a red herring — the "protected MPEG-4" status is not what's stopping the file from playing or being imported into iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.