Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
It's quite simple, what is your Mixed Ecosystem Setup?

I am currently using a mixture of Android, Mac OS X and Windows 7.

Smartphone - Galaxy Nexus

Tablet - Nexus 7

Thing is, when the iPad mini or iPod touch comes out to the public... I may just replace the Nexus 7 with one of those.

Laptop - Macbook Air 13

Desktop - PC Build

I am in the process of ordering parts online to build my media/data PC desktop. Windows 7 will be installed into it. The purpose of this platform is to have a 'base' at home and enough juice to run the occasional 'PC only' games. A lot of my data, AutoCAD, 3D rendering and producing/creating will be coming from this...

Tell me though, is there any redundancy in my proposed setup? I'm in the market for a DSLR.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Main desktop is a windows PC so nothing going on there in terms of a closed ecosystem, I use iTunes on there.

I have a MBP that isn't really tied to Apple either since it's just used for web browsing, some light gaming and email/chat. My GF has a MBA so I guess we have also shared Mountain Lion.

I had an iPad and iPhone so I have quite a few apps tied in there but my fiancee also has an iPhone and we shared App store accounts so whatever I bought she could use, minus iPad specific apps. I'm hoping to jump back to an iPad so those will be there ready for me.

And then Samsung Galaxy S3. Had this phone for a month and a half and probably put in $20 into the Google Play store. It's the only device I use for google apps, but luckily most of the things I've bought where either expensive -- Titanium backup or really cheap .25c sale this weekend has been awesome.

I'm not a huge app buyer, maybe spent $50 in iOS and $20 in Android.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Smartphone: Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Tablet: Nexus 7
Laptop: Retina MBP
Desktop: 2011 21.5" iMac

If/when an iPad Mini is released, I might also replace my Nexus 7 with it. I say might because it has some depending factors, mostly retina display. If it lacks that.. I'll keep the Nexus 7.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
GSM Galaxy Nexus (open to replacing it with this year's Nexus)

iPad 3rd Gen (very much considering a Nexus 7 in the near future either to replace or to add to my lineup)

MacBook Air 2011 13" that is paired with a Thunderbolt Display 2011 at home.

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Smartphone: Galaxy S III(With over 200 Apps downloaded from the App Store, this was a tough switch to make)
iPhone 4 that I use as an iPod.

Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro(Wish it were retina)

iPad 3rd gen w/Logitech solar folio keyboard cover.
Firesale HP TouchPad w/stock WebOS(I didn't buy this to turn into a cheap Android Tab)

Still an Apple geek at heart, but recently moved to the dark side with the GSIII. :cool:

Last edited:

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
GSM Galaxy Nexus (open to replacing it with this year's Nexus)

iPad 3rd Gen (very much considering a Nexus 7 in the near future either to replace or to add to my lineup)

MacBook Air 2011 13" that is paired with a Thunderbolt Display 2011 at home.

I have a question about the Thunderbolt Display, I really haven't used them much except for maybe a few minutes at Best Buy and an Apple Store.
What makes them worth their expensive price tag? Seems like you're better off just getting an iMac and a MacBook rather than a MacBook and the Thunderbolt display. I am not "Bashing" you for your choice, I am really interested in knowing from someone that owns one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have a question about the Thunderbolt Display, I really haven't used them much except for maybe a few minutes at Best Buy and an Apple Store.
What makes them worth their expensive price tag? Seems like you're better off just getting an iMac and a MacBook rather than a MacBook and the Thunderbolt display. I am not "Bashing" you for your choice, I am really interested in knowing from someone that owns one.

Fair question. I actually also owned an iMac 2011, but when my parents' computer died on them, I gave them my iMac and my MBA was my only computer.

The MBA is the greatest laptop, but it makes for a miserable desktop experience (duh). So I was thinking of pairing it with an inexpensive monitor, but then I thought I'd have to get speakers, then extra USB ports (mouse and keyboard would otherwise occupy the only 2 USB slows of the Air), then I became obsessed with a larger monitor... so long story short, it just made sense to get an all in one.

Then I actually found a ridiculously good deal at Best Buy for a refurbished one. It was marked down 250+ off the original price tag. Had a great guy help me, went through every little test we could do with the TBD (pixel tests, speakers, all the ports, etc.) and then sealed the deal when he offered me a 4 year Best Buy warranty that covered dead-pixels, etc. for free). It was a no brainer to me then. So I was sold.

It works great with my Air most of the time (once in a rare while, it won't connect or it won't recognize my mouse). And I simply view it as an long-term investment. I plan to keep this monitor for many many years. I can pair up a Mac Mini in the future.

I don't know if I'd pay the regular $999 + tax, but I happened across a deal that was too good to pass up on. I don't think it makes sense for everybody, that's for sure. If you're starting off with nothing else, the iMac 27 seems to make more sense. I had my Air already, had an extra Apple keyboard, and a spare logitech mouse. It made sense for me.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Being a long time Apple enthusiast (think system 7) that works in a cross platform R&D environment. Add in my addiction to laptops & smartphones & I've got too much to list.

Suffice to say I really enjoy my various MBP's, MBA's, ThinkPads (the new hi-res anti-glare X-1 Carbon I just received is stellar) Mac Pro, iPads, iPhones, Nexus phone, tablet & SGS III just to name the core group, all sync & interface quite nicely interconnected to my home network & third party cloud solutions.

One things for sure, it's never boring. :)

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Fair question. I actually also owned an iMac 2011, but when my parents' computer died on them, I gave them my iMac and my MBA was my only computer.

The MBA is the greatest laptop, but it makes for a miserable desktop experience (duh). So I was thinking of pairing it with an inexpensive monitor, but then I thought I'd have to get speakers, then extra USB ports (mouse and keyboard would otherwise occupy the only 2 USB slows of the Air), then I became obsessed with a larger monitor... so long story short, it just made sense to get an all in one.

Then I actually found a ridiculously good deal at Best Buy for a refurbished one. It was marked down 250+ off the original price tag. Had a great guy help me, went through every little test we could do with the TBD (pixel tests, speakers, all the ports, etc.) and then sealed the deal when he offered me a 4 year Best Buy warranty that covered dead-pixels, etc. for free). It was a no brainer to me then. So I was sold.

It works great with my Air most of the time (once in a rare while, it won't connect or it won't recognize my mouse). And I simply view it as an long-term investment. I plan to keep this monitor for many many years. I can pair up a Mac Mini in the future.

I don't know if I'd pay the regular $999 + tax, but I happened across a deal that was too good to pass up on. I don't think it makes sense for everybody, that's for sure. If you're starting off with nothing else, the iMac 27 seems to make more sense. I had my Air already, had an extra Apple keyboard, and a spare logitech mouse. It made sense for me.

Yeah I suppose if you got the discount, for $999 though, it seems to make more sense to just get the refurbed 27" iMac for $1,400. If your only computer is a MBA for desktop and laptop, I hope you have an external hard drive. :p I have a rMBP which only has 256GB SSD in it, so I generally keep all my music, and movies on the iMac.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Smartphone: Galaxy S3
Tablet: None
Laptop: MacPro 13.3"
Desktop: Windows Vista

I dont use the MacPro to sync my phones.

I dont have a tablet as of yet and dont know if i will get one. Never saw the need for one. Have no idea what id get if i do get one. The N7, Asus Transformer or maybe even the iPad mini or maybe even one of the new Windows Tablets.

Depends on the size ill prefer and i am in no rush at all for one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah I suppose if you got the discount, for $999 though, it seems to make more sense to just get the refurbed 27" iMac for $1,400. If your only computer is a MBA for desktop and laptop, I hope you have an external hard drive. :p I have a rMBP which only has 256GB SSD in it, so I generally keep all my music, and movies on the iMac.

I have a 2 TB external. A must, indeed, with only an Air.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Do you have the HDD setup with your router or directly to the Air itself?

I'm thinking about setting up a Drobo system to my setup.

I have an Airport Extreme but don't connect my External to it. I just plug it into the back of my TBD whenever I need it. I don't have Time Machine set up either. I rarely use my Ext HD. Only to do backups every few months or so.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Smartphone : Primary iPhone 4S, Backup OG Motorola Droid Razr
Tablet : Primary Motorola Xoom LTE, other iPad 3 wifi
Desktop and laptop : PC's

I try to stay away from Eco systems. I don't like getting so deep in one I can't try anything else affordably. I'll always prefer an open system because they'll tie into other things at minimum cost. Like streaming content from my Xoom to my PS3.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Desktop : iMac
Laptop : HP
Tablet : ipad
Phone : iphone 3GS soon be replaced by Android Note 2 or Nexus?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Desktop: Linux primarily with Windows 7 for Steam games - soon to be a thing of the past I hope.
Notebook: Chromebook 5 550
Tablets: iPad 2/Nexus 7
Phones: iPhone 4/Galaxy Nexus/
ZTE Blade

Google pretty much has all my stuff in sync across all devices. Contacts, calendars, cloud storage, Google Music and Google Docs works wonders for me on all my stuff.

The freedom to flit between platforms makes life very easy. I've also had some time with Windows Phone fitting on fine too.

Seamless!

jjvdhoef

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Desktop: Linux primarily with Windows 7 for Steam games - soon to be a thing of the past I hope.

What, you think steam for Linux will have all your favorite games? Guess again. It will be Mac OS steam, but worse...

I have a HTC Desire, which i will be exchanging for an iphone 5 really soon. The payment options for apple apps are much better over here than the google stuff. Otherwise I might have gotten a One X or something.

My iMac I dual boot into windows 7, for Excel and steam, and Mountain Lion.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What, you think steam for Linux will have all your favorite games? Guess again. It will be Mac OS steam, but worse...

Civilization V and Left4Dead/Left4Dead2 would start me off on Linux as I spend the majority of my time playing those on PC. L4D is at least on it's way so I've got lucky there.

Solstice11

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Montana
Tablet: iPad 2
Desktop PC: Custom Built Windows 7 PC
Smartphone: Motorola DROID Bionic (Wish I had an iPhone)
Media Player: iPod Touch 4g (Soon to be 5g)

RealRuler

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
Phone: Galaxy S3
Tablet: iPad 3, Kindle Fire HD 7
Computer: XPS 15, 2011 MacBook Air 13
Other: PS3, Xbox 360

It's nice not being tied down

Last edited:

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
The Family and I
Work: Mac Pro/sl
Home: Mac Mini/sl, Acer Laptop/linux, MBP/ml, HP Desktop/winxp, NintendoWii
Mobile: iPhone 5, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 3, various ipod touches.

The only clashes I have is to sync all my contacts/cal/email etc - still working that out for flexibility - just have to go OS-agnostic with google for the most part.
Planning to ditch Acer Laptop soon, or make it just a skype communication device/media player for the children.
Need to replace the old HP Desktop with something decent too.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Smartphone HTC Thunderbolt (sadly running GB still)
Tablet Acer Iconia A500 (running ICS)
Laptop Mid-2012 15" MBP with hi-res screen
Desktop Custom-build Windows 7 box for gaming

Additionally, I use a 13" MBP and Dell E6410 (soon to be upgraded) for work, as well as an iPad 2.

For my personal devices, Trillian handles all IM tasks (now cloud-based, syncs across all my personal devices except the desktop), Roboform for password management and sync, Google Drive for document sharing between devices and Google Music for streaming/buying music. I have the music manager installed on my Windows PC, and plan to copy purchased tracks to iTunes on my MBP, if/when I purchase any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.