Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Samsung still burned Apple with this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM

Actually, to me that advert looks like it was created by clueless morons. They seem to think that some actor claiming that a Samsung phone is cool (what? Since when is anything made by Samsung cool? ) would convince Americans. I was told that it is actually aimed at Koreans who for some reasons fall for this kind of stuff. But to Westerners, this ad comes just over as insulting. And insulting potential customers is just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Congratulations, Samsung.

Even when Samsung pays people to stand in line, they will still only stand in line for an iPhone, not a Samsung.

Man, you are a genius. Seriously, it is blaringly obvious but yet never occurred to me (and many others, I bet). Yes, Samsung actually paid actors to form an orderly queue to (pretend) wait to lay their hands on an iPhone. Pure marketing genius. Showing the public that your competitor is so superior that people queue for their products!

Unprofessional but they do make sence

If the ads make sense, how much more professional can they be?

i really like these ads... but there will always be weiners out there who dislike it.

You spelt "wieners" wrong :D

Anybody else notice the "also works on 4S" at the end of the Panorama ad. Why would they put that on there? I know its true, but that just tells people they don't need to buy a new iPhone to get that new feature.

That's the genius. Wouldn't you want to buy from a company that cares about their customers enough to save them money?

If you have ever studied physics, the physics ad makes Apple look stupid. Bigger screen equals more space behind the screen per mm of thickness. Almost every phone is thinner that what it replaces, technology has a habit of getting smaller over time.

If my wife read that, she would have said "And that's why you don't have any friends".

I have a question for some of you in this thread which is, why do you come here and post positive comments in every single thread? Is it a hobby for you? Does it make yourself feel better about your lot in life or your purchase decisions?

Let's see. I _love_ Apple products. So if someone tells me "look at that great new phone that I bought" and proudly shows me his Samsung Galaxy phone, what do I say? "Great choice, man. Excellent phone". That's what I say, because it doesn't cost me anything and it makes him feel a little bit better. I could tell the truth, I could say "you should have asked me before you buy, and I would have sent you to the Apple Store where you could have bought an iPhone 5, which would have served you a lot better", but what purpose would that serve? It just upsets him.

So why would someone post positive things? Maybe it's common decency? Maybe it's a positive outlook on live, which means that person is more likely to have a happy marriage, no drug problems, and no need for an expensive psychiatrist later in life?

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
First of all - I have studied physics. I'm not a physicist (nor do I aspire to be one), but even I know the ad is just a farce. I've seen all of those equations through the course of my studies, and they're simply not relevant to the point Apple is making.

Second, the laws of classical physics still apply. Just because they don't necessarily apply to subatomic phenomena doesn't mean they're entirely invalid for describing everything else. Any new theories/laws that we come up with will not change what we already know about classical physics; they will just further explain phenomena that we don't currently understand.

Third: How the hell does what Apple did violate classical physics (or any physics for that matter)? You (and Apple's ad) are acting like making the phone thinner and the screen bigger somehow violates the laws of physics. It doesn't. The suggestion that it does is simply absurd. If anything, making one dimension larger while simultaneously making the other smaller is inline with conservation of mass/energy (but of course since Apple is not constrained on the amount of material they can start with, even that line of thought is absurd).

Certainly you've never studied anything, let alone physics.

Apple defying the laws of physics is just a new low for Apple. This ad is just another misleading ad from Apple. Is iPhone 5 smaller than other phones? Yes, it's smaller than some. Why? Here is why:

* very small screen. 4" may not seem that small but it's not a regular 4" sceen, it's a very narrow 4" screen.
* Apple skimped on a lot of components. Let's compare it to Samsung Galaxy SIII. iPhone has half the RAM, half baseband (radio) chips (which prevents it from having simultaneous LTE data and voice on CDMA networks), no NFC chip, no wireless charging, very small battery (SGSIII has 3x stand by time), no memory card/port. I think the laws of physics stay intact. Apple integrity? I am not so sure.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Apple defying the laws of physics is just a new low for Apple. This ad is just another misleading ad from Apple. Is iPhone 5 smaller than other phones? Yes, it's smaller than some. Why? Here is why:

* very small screen. 4" may not seem that small but it's not a regular 4" sceen, it's a very narrow 4" screen.
* Apple skimped on a lot of components. Let's compare it to Samsung Galaxy SIII. iPhone has half the RAM, half baseband (radio) chips (which prevents it from having simultaneous LTE data and voice on CDMA networks), no NFC chip, no wireless charging, very small battery (SGSIII has 3x stand by time), no memory card/port. I think the laws of physics stay intact. Apple integrity? I am not so sure.

Yeah, the screen is narrow. It has a 16:9 ratio. Just like your mighty SG3 or the upcoming Galaxy Note II :rolleyes:

I have a Galaxy Note and as a user of Android and iOS I often feel embarrassed by the rubbish you post here.

As for the rest of the hardware specs, Samsung with Android need probably all the RAM, Battery life and processor power they can get. Still, on my Galaxy Note it takes sometimes forever to start apps like the camera, despite all the hardware muscles. Button for changing still/movie mode is often unresponsive, too.

Wireless charging? So, the SG3 has it now, out of the box? Really? :rolleyes:

Oh, battery life: when I leave the house around 9-10 am in the morning, with some browsing on the go, my battery is flat around 3-4 pm in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

Now, do us tech agnostic users a favor... Just go away. But what am I smoking... You won't, of course. :rolleyes:

macfan09

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
Cheese

Am I the only one that noticed that the kid wearing the sun flower costume is already on the iphone screen, even as said phone is being lifted from below the 'capture zone' where said kid is located? :D

jacksongan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
i just bought a samsung s3 after using iphone for years. I had a 3GS and a 4. When i saw the latest iphone, i told myself, enough is enough. God bless Apple.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
The "thumbs" one is so ironic... Previously they were making stuff up about how the iPhone's screen "is perfect" and should not be changed, and now suddenly the bigger screen is "perfect for your thumb" and that's "common sense".

So they are either admitting they had no common sense before whilst rejecting the idea of a bigger screenn or just think we're stupid.

EDIT:

Also, the panorama ad is a bit risky IMHO, they're basically showing something that has been available for years in 3rd party apps and for quite some time on the Android platform (and has been used in a few ads already, e.g. Galaxy Nexus'). They should have focused on all the new stuff that makes it different from other phones like.... Erm... Hmm... Let me think... The screen quality? Or just make four ads about how it's bigger and thinner. That would suffise.

Last edited:

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Uh, sorry but this is "macrumours" and the majority of stories are "Apple" focused so, if you don't like that fact nobody is holding a gun to your head to be here.
You seem to have completely missed the point I was making and ignored my suggestion to take up another hobby. If you like android, good for you but don't tell me about it.

Oh Aristotle, have you forgotten your Socrates?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

It is through opposition not blind faith where truth is revealed. Telling people that they are not welcome because you disagree with them is a simpleton's approach.

So you can stick your fingers in your eyes, and skip half the posts on here, or you can enjoy the debate between people that argue to have fun and make informed choices. So you're point was understood and now you know why I mirrored (mocked) it.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
You spelt "wieners" wrong :D

positive outlook on live,

:D

So why would someone post positive things? Maybe it's common decency?
If my wife read that, she would have said "And that's why you don't have any friends".

Ha, obviously you're a nice guy but you're wife sounds like a dick.

Let's see. I _love_ Apple products. So if someone tells me "look at that great new phone that I bought" and proudly shows me his Samsung Galaxy phone, what do I say? "Great choice, man. Excellent phone". That's what I say, because it doesn't cost me anything and it makes him feel a little bit better. I could tell the truth, I could say "you should have asked me before you buy, and I would have sent you to the Apple Store where you could have bought an iPhone 5, which would have served you a lot better", but what purpose would that serve?

Honesty? It would also inform their next purchase decision.

Forums aren't like if your wife asks you if her new dress makes her look fat. It's about enjoying technology and understanding the decisions companies make.

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
It's sad that nobody at apple has the balls to say "no" to the ad agencies that are rolling out these atrocities.

I'm sorry but these are in poor taste, and they make Apple look one step below as a company, instead of being on another plane. These ads lower Apple to mere mortal status, and fail at elevating it as a company above the copycats and wannabes.

Coming from an admirer of :apple:

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
Saw the iPhone adverts at least 5 times today while watching football and these adverts are so obnoxious and pretentious.

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
First of all - I have studied physics. I'm not a physicist (nor do I aspire to be one), but even I know the ad is just a farce. I've seen all of those equations through the course of my studies, and they're simply not relevant to the point Apple is making.

Second, the laws of classical physics still apply. Just because they don't necessarily apply to subatomic phenomena doesn't mean they're entirely invalid for describing everything else. Any new theories/laws that we come up with will not change what we already know about classical physics; they will just further explain phenomena that we don't currently understand.

Third: How the hell does what Apple did violate classical physics (or any physics for that matter)? You (and Apple's ad) are acting like making the phone thinner and the screen bigger somehow violates the laws of physics. It doesn't. The suggestion that it does is simply absurd. If anything, making one dimension larger while simultaneously making the other smaller is inline with conservation of mass/energy (but of course since Apple is not constrained on the amount of material they can start with, even that line of thought is absurd).

Certainly you've never studied anything, let alone physics.

Answers:

1 - Good for you!
2 - I did not wrote they are invalid, but obsolete.
Go grab a dictionary and learn what obsolete means.
3 - How the hell does what Apple did violate classical physics (or any physics for that matter)? you wrote and my unswear is - What the HELL are you reading!?
When did i wrote Apple violate anything?

But learn this, It says that those laws ( Newton laws are just footPrints to build on ). English id not my mother-language but at least i bother to understand what i read before jumping into crazy conclusions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.