Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
The top glass in the back isn't flush with the aluminum on my phone. The bottom glass is perfectly flush though. Are the glass pieces flush with the aluminum on the backs of your phones? Should I get it replaced/would they replace it just for that?

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
No that is not normal. Both pieces of glass on mine are flush with the aluminum.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont know if I can really tell the difference with sliding my fingers up and down.
Feels like the bottom glass part is a little more even with the metal where the top glass is barelly noticably higher if I can say than the metal part.
Or maybe Im over analyzing it and both pieces are about the same.

Cant believe Im sitting here doing this:D lol
I had enough with these type of threads, you guys are turning me into an OCD freak. Im going to go buy an magnifying glass to check every single millimeter on my iphone 5.
Not:D

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
No that is not normal. Both pieces of glass on mine are flush with the aluminum.

It shouldn't be flush. The top glass is a tiny bit (less than .5mm it looks like) raised.

design_image.jpg
display_image.jpg

spring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I dont know if I can really tell the difference with sliding my fingers up and down.
Feels like the bottom glass part is a little more even with the metal where the top glass is barelly noticably higher if I can say than the metal part.
Or maybe Im over analyzing it and both pieces are about the same.

Cant believe Im sitting here doing this:D lol
I had enough with these type of threads, you guys are turning me into an OCD freak. Im going to go buy an magnifying glass to check every single millimeter on my iphone 5.
Not:D
I have a skin protector on the back, and even then I can feel a very slight indentation. More so on the center top of the glass. The sides of the top glass seem pretty flush. Yeah I agree with you though, this site has definitely made me notice things I probably would have otherwise ignored.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It shouldn't be flush. The top glass is a tiny bit (less than .5mm it looks like) raised.

ImageImage

Did you say 0.5 mm?
Hell no, Apple is screwing us. Im going to Apple tomorrow to have it replaced and measure every single iphone 5 they have in the back stock room:D

----------

I have a skin protector on the back, and even then I can feel a very slight indentation. More so on the center top of the glass. The sides of the top glass seem pretty flush. Yeah I agree with you though, this site has definitely made me notice things I probably would have otherwise ignored.

See what you did?
LMAO:D
I just tested mine too and you are right. The middle part of the back top glass piece does seem to sit a little higher but the sides are more even to the metal.
This is getting crazy.
lol
Lets see what else we will notice:D

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Did you say 0.5 mm?
Hell no, Apple is screwing us. Im going to Apple tomorrow to have it replaced and measure every single iphone 5 they have in the back stock room:D

LOL! I swear some people on this forum are so anal about the tiny things that it borders OCD. Yes, I know our phones are very expensive, but so is a TV and a car, and we don't go inspecting every tiny nook and cranny on those...or maybe some of the people here do.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Could you post a pic? On my iPhone that I got replaced for different reasons, I had a back skin on it which exaggerated the difference. Before I put the skin on, I didn't notice any difference in height. I'm now waiting for another skin to come in the mail for my replacement iPhone 5.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
LOL! I swear some people on this forum are so anal about the tiny things that it borders OCD. Yes, I know our phones are very expensive, but so is a TV and a car, and we don't go inspecting every tiny nook and cranny on those...or maybe some of the people here do.

I would hate to work for Apple and to get a bunch of people like that trying to replace phones with crazy imperfections and looking for the "perfect" one while they go through dozens of iphones that dont meet their "pefect iphone" standards.
I'd go nuts dealing with nuts like that:D

Could you post a pic? On my iPhone that I got replaced for different reasons, I had a back skin on it which exaggerated the difference. Before I put the skin on, I didn't notice any difference in height. I'm now waiting for another skin to come in the mail for my replacement iPhone 5.

There's no way you will be able to see it with a pic.
We're talking about something that you can barelly notice while rubbing your fingers up and down.

spring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I was talking about this part. A lot less than 0.5mm, if anything probably 0.1mm as it's pretty hard to see visually, but you can feel it. Like running your finger from a piece of paper on to the table.

Attachments

• design_image.jpeg
    design_image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 127

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I was talking about this part. A lot less than 0.5mm, if anything probably 0.1mm as it's pretty hard to see visually, but you can feel it. Like running your finger from a piece of paper on the the table.

Ah gotcha. My mistake, but even then, that is such a minute difference that there is no point in swapping it out for a new one. Chances are the replacement will be the same or maybe something else will catch your attention. Just enjoy your phone and exchange it if there's a real reason to.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Ah gotcha. My mistake, but even then, that is such a minute difference that there is no point in swapping it out for a new one. Chances are the replacement will be the same or maybe something else will catch your attention. Just enjoy your phone and exchange it if there's a real reason to.

Amen, this is getting nuts here latelly.
We will all need a psychiatrist soon here:D

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
The glass is slightly raised when you run your finger from top to bottom across the alu.

On your phone maybe. On mine, I only feel the difference in material--the glass causes my finger to drag a bit, the aluminum doesn't.

elsattar

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
not flush too

I was talking about this part. A lot less than 0.5mm, if anything probably 0.1mm as it's pretty hard to see visually, but you can feel it. Like running your finger from a piece of paper on to the table.

Hey, I have the same issue with mine. Minimal, but I have a white iPhone so it picks up a little dirt and shows a little more.

May I ask what you ended up doing about this? Return or kept, if kept, is it forgotten/a non-issue now?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
If the OP has a skin, it'd be visible with the air bubble underneath. See this picture (not mine).

This is getting crazy. I have a back skin on mine (Phantomskinz) and have no bubbles or height difference. Should I return it as I can't feel any seam?

j/k

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If the OP has a skin, it'd be visible with the air bubble underneath. See this picture (not mine).

[/url=http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/xcubistx/iphone_photo117_zps9e06194f.jpg]Image[/url]

No necessarily, skin can be applied without air bubble.

spring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
Hey, I have the same issue with mine. Minimal, but I have a white iPhone so it picks up a little dirt and shows a little more.

May I ask what you ended up doing about this? Return or kept, if kept, is it forgotten/a non-issue now?
I've just decided to keep it. No big deal, hasn't caught dirt or anything.
No necessarily, skin can be applied without air bubble.
I assure you that if there is a small gap, there will be a small pocket of air. It may not be obvious, especially on a white iPhone, but it is there. I'll take a picture of one later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.