Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I'm confused as to the benefits of using this app vs setting gmail up as an exchange email. Whats the deal?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012

OK well it looks like in order to get everything to work I have to use the exchange setup (gmail) for contacts, and calendar (notes doesn't seem to matter). Then use the Gmail app for email. Thats all fine wonder how others are doing it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What's the point of this app? There's already Mail.

----------

OK well it looks like in order to get everything to work I have to use the exchange setup (gmail) for contacts, and calendar (notes doesn't seem to matter). Then use the Gmail app for email. Thats all fine wonder how others are doing it.

I'm just using IMAP for Gmail. Why are people using Exchange for it?

----------

Still no multiple accounts support?:confused:

So it's basically Mail that only works with Gmail accounts and only lets you do one account at a time? I don't see any point in that.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
What's the point of this app? There's already Mail.

----------

I'm just using IMAP for Gmail. Why are people using Exchange for it?

If you use the exchange method you get emails almost instantly instead of on a schedule. It syncs everything contacts, calendar, and mine is syncing labels as well.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
If you use the exchange method you get emails almost instantly instead of on a schedule. It syncs everything contacts, calendar, and mine is syncing labels as well.

IMAP is instant, too. I think POP is on a schedule.

davewho

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Austin
Yes, all the time. What about it?

It's much easier to search by keyword in the Gmail app than changing time prefs in Mail, and hoping the search will find what you need. I use Mail for reading and replying to current mail, and the Gmail app for finding older mail.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It's much easier to search by keyword in the Gmail app than changing time prefs in Mail, and hoping the search will find what you need. I use Mail for reading and replying to current mail, and the Gmail app for finding older mail.

You can search by keyword in Mail (From, To, Subject, All), and there are no time prefs. "All" searches all of the contents of the message.

davewho

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Austin
You can search by keyword in Mail (From, To, Subject, All), and there are no time prefs. "All" searches all of the contents of the message.

Yes, the functionality is there, but I've found it slow and unreliable. Also, yes, there are prefs for how long you would like mail to stay on your phone, up to one month back. Outside of one month, you need another option.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Yes, the functionality is there, but I've found it slow and unreliable. Also, yes, there are prefs for how long you would like mail to stay on your phone, up to one month back. Outside of one month, you need another option.

I can't find the settings for how long you want mail to stay there. There are settings for how long you want deleted messages to remain, and that cannot go past one month. But I'm having no trouble finding messages more than 1 month old. A disadvantage I see is that the search in Mail is kinda slow for me.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Report Spam button not available in iOS Mail app.
Is in Gmail.
I frequently fire up the Gmail app for that specific purpose -- being careful to not click the spam in iOS Mail first because I have it set to load images automatically.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I am sure it will be obvious once I post and keep looking but how do you "log out" of your gmail account once you log in the app? I have 2 accounts I need to check and can't get out of the one... :(

Wow, ok, I found it. Obvious, no. But you click on the Sent folder and scroll to the bottom then you'll see a button for Sign Out. I guess it prevents the erroneous logouts....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.