Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I don't think there's ever been a tech product that Apple or anyone else created that didn't have some issue. They're not gonna be perfect. But for me, the positives outweigh the negatives. The screen is crisper and bigger, the weight loss is noticeable, and the speed is awesome. I'm keeping mine. Best phone i've ever had.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I think many people associate heft with build quality. The feather weight of the iP5 causes some to believe the overall phone is flimsy and prone to break.

Couple those (imaginary) concerns with reality- there are some iPhones that are defective out of the box- and a light dose of a version of mass hysteria ensues.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I think it's impressive that Apple managed to locate the softest aluminum known to man for their iPod Touch line.

It's almost impossible to keep 100% scratch free. You'd have to slap a clear shield over it immediately.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
A few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?

I much prefer the 5 for many reasons. I'm not sure I can think of any situation - in my opinion - where the 4S is a better choice, except perhaps if price is an issue.

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
I much prefer the 5 for many reasons. I'm not sure I can think of any situation - in my opinion - where the 4S is a better choice, except perhaps if price is an issue.

What if you sit outside on windy days and don't want your papers to blow away? :)

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Same here. Used the wifes 4S today and was suprised at how slow it felt.
LOL, the 4S is not slow at all. And the 5 isn't that much faster. You guys are ridiculous.
I guess if I made the mistake of upgrading to a 5 from a 4S I'd have to tell myself that it's so much better too.

I use my brain and upgrade every 2 years though.

The 4/4S is more solid. Can't deny that.

DJ Al B Bad

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Texas, USA
I'm not sure about everyone else but I have always used a Speck Case. I love my iPhone 5 and still have my 4s as well. Would I go back? No! It just feels awesome and I love the AT&T LTE service.

My 4s is now dedicated to the gym, Mojo rig, and backup if needed.

I am using the iPhone 5 Speck Grip Case and it's awesome! If interested I can post a pic later.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I've never had an iphone before but I'm already spoiled. Was a passenger in a car and went from LTE to 3G suddenly for a few moments and I was having flashbacks to modem days... then I popped back into LTE territory and it was all good.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Tell your friends to shoot me an email. I'll gladly trade my 4s to them and "downgrade" to their iPhone 5.

This reminds of the ad I seen on a Craigslist where a guy wanted to trade his iPhone 5 for a 4S and wanted $850 cash to go along with the deal as well.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
When I first laid hands on the 5 I thought it was too light and flimsy.
After using it a couple days I now feel the 4 is too slow and bulky/heavy.

It did require some adjusting in terms ofusing one hand tapping the upper part of the screen, no downgrading for me.

hafruit

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
The only thing I don't like about iPhone 5 is most of my apps are still optimised for the old screen. Kind of spoils the experience but I hope most are updated soon.

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
As soon as I walked out of AT&T with my i5, I went to the ghost armor kiosk right next to it and it went from the stock plastic to a full body ghost armor cover.Front,back, and sides. And my 4S went to wifey. She loves it coming from a Bb torch. And me, I love my i5! The speed, screen, and like most said yes the design definitely grew on me. So no, I will not be going back to a 4S or even consider switching over from i5. (S3? Seriously)

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The only thing I don't like about iPhone 5 is most of my apps are still optimised for the old screen. Kind of spoils the experience but I hope most are updated soon.

What's embarrassing is that Apple didn't even update their own Apple Store app to take advantage of the iPhone 5 screen.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I skipped upgrading to a 5 and have been using a 4S since January on Verizon. Due to Verizons horrible service in my area, I have now cancelled the service and now using my AT&T 3GS that I could not cancel due to the horrible Verizon service.

I'll be using the 3GS till whatever new iPhone comes along next. I'll just use the 4S as an iPod for the few times when I just want to quickly connect via bluetooth in my car.

The iPhone 5 wasn't a good enough upgrade from the 4S for me.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Yes I went back to my 4s, then I looked at my daughter and told her, here you go, Merry Christmas and don't touch my iPhone 5 ever again. :D

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Why would someone goes back to the iphone 4S? There is no reason to do this because the best iphone is the iphone 5.

About quality I could say that there is no issue with my iphone 5, it does not have any scratches and it is a black one.

I have my old iphone 4S unlocked 64GB in my desk sleeping. I could use it any day I want and I will not use it any more because the iphone 5 is the latest and best iphone ever.

Maybe the first iphone 5 have quality issues but the latest are flawless like everything from Apple.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Why would someone goes back to the iphone 4S? There is no reason to do this because the best iphone is the iphone 5.

About quality I could say that there is no issue with my iphone 5, it does not have any scratches and it is a black one.

I have my old iphone 4S unlocked 64GB in my desk sleeping. I could use it any day I want and I will not use it any more because the iphone 5 is the latest and best iphone ever.

Maybe the first iphone 5 have quality issues but the latest are flawless like everything from Apple.

You want a light phone? Then learn to live with the aluminum back. It would have been better to put carbon fiber but I doubt it would have been so thin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.