Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage3.png

Feral Interactive plans to release Batman: Arkham City on the Mac in November. The open-world action-adventure game was first released in October 2011 on consoles, and a month later on Windows.

Feral is bringing the "Game of the Year" edition to the Mac, bundling all released downloadable content for the game into the release.
Batman: Arkham City builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players flying through the expansive Arkham City - five times larger than the game world in Batman: Arkham Asylum - the new maximum security "home" for all of Gotham City's thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds.

Arkham City is a vast, open world, gothic metropolis hiding a deep assortment of side missions, secrets and puzzles that Batman will need all of his skills and gadgets to discover and solve. Along the way, players will use Batman's signature Free FlowTM combat system to square off against countless thugs and a nightmarish rogue's gallery including The Joker, The Riddler, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, The Penguin and Mr. Freeze.
Feral will announce pricing and system requirements closer to the final release date.

Article Link: Batman: Arkham City Comes to the Mac in November

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I can play it relatively fine on my 2011 MBA i5 under Boot Camp.
I'm betting everything you want that this release on the Mac will require an AMD 7xxx or nVidia GeForce of some sort as a minimum requirement... a Windows license is really the best investment any occasional gamer on a Mac can make !

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Is there any way to play with any sort of controller on the Mac? I remember reading that Windows 7 supports Xbox 360 controllers, but do people typically play other games like Grand Theft Auto and Arkham Asylum from the Mac App store with a keyboard and mouse?

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Is there any way to play with any sort of controller on the Mac? I remember reading that Windows 7 supports Xbox 360 controllers, but do people typically play other games like Grand Theft Auto and Arkham Asylum from the Mac App store with a keyboard and mouse?

I used a generic USB controller when I played Batman AA. The good people at Feral made a patch for my specific controller so it worked. Excellent service from them.

Sadly though the game was very stuttery on my 13" MBP 320m (understandable of course). I wish I'd bootcamped it, but I wanted to support the developer. I doubt this new one will run on my laptop at all.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Still sometimes plays like crap on the PC (DX11), can't imagine how it would play on a laptop, and that too on a Mac.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Awesome! Really great news. I love Feral. Will be picking this up for sure. Hopefully they can dish out Borderlands 2 soon as well.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
After so much talk about how games would be hitting the Mac platform at the same time as Windows, we're still way behind. Why even bother? Those that want to play these games will buy them when they're released for Windows rather than a year later when they hit OS X.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I'm Batman!

No, I mean it... when I played that game, I truly felt like the Bat at some moments... I kind of lost the fact that I was crouched on the couch in front the the TV.

I played it 3 times (normal and game plus mode)... (kind of overlapped my sleep time)

It is awesome!

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I hope the controls aren't the same consoley crap as in Arkham Asylum. It was a great game though, but the consolitus should be banned from games with such great atmosphere, details and humor.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I hope the controls aren't the same consoley crap as in Arkham Asylum. It was a great game though, but the consolitus should be banned from games with such great atmosphere, details and humor.

This game is destined for a controller, I don't see how it possibly could affect your 1337 keyboard and mouse wielding highness, that this game was developed for consoles and PC?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

The controls on PC via the 360 controller are amazing. I know it's not cool enough for you, because you probably are a wing commander veteran with patches on his shoulders and also have a proven Giana Sisters C64 runthrough record. But anyway - the game plays fantastic with the xbox360 controller on PC, it pretty much beats any conventional PC input method.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
IF, its £19.99-£23.99, and IF it supports an Xbox 360 controller id consider buying it.

IF its £29.99-£49.99 ill buy the GOTY edition from steam for £19.99 and run it in parallels (I Already own the normal release of this game in steam, and it runs ok in parallels 8 at around 29-33 fps) , but ill be re-buying for the DLC which currently collectively almost costs more to obtain than the GOTY edition)

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Yet another fail for Mac games.

How many years has it been since the switch to intel architecture and the promise of serious game provision???

I suppose they have iOS now, they are probably planning something big. I foresee them bringing an iOS powered streaming Game console/Apple TV hybrid. Possibly using the streaming subscription/cloud processing model of Onlive. Although a commercial failure, it was a great idea!

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple view the desktop platform with a certain end of life quality to it. I can imagine they have teams of engineers working on revolutions in their secret bunkers.

They spent years secretly developing iOS, and that changed the world. I wouldn't be surprised that they are secretly planning on doing it all over again.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I suppose they have iOS now, they are probably planning something big. .

As far as apple are concerned, the Mac OS "desktops" are dead, the laptops are for "power users" and iOS devices are where the money is at, because on an iOS device everything you purchase puts 30% of its purchase cost into apples coffers with no work on their part required.

Apple don't WANT you to buy a MAC, they dont want you running Steam, or developers to make software for it, they want you buying short, easily forgettable, throwaway apps from the iOS store, over and over and over, its why they are building that huge round pool as Apples new HQ, its going to be filled in the middle with all the profits so Tim & Co can go swimming scrooge McDuck style.

as far as the money men are concerned, Consoles = Games = easy Profit, PC/Mac = Games = little profit, iOS devices = Games = mega profit.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
As far as apple are concerned, the Mac OS "desktops" are dead, the laptops are for "power users" and iOS devices are where the money is at, because on an iOS device everything you purchase puts 30% of its purchase cost into apples coffers with no work on their part required.

Apple don't WANT you to buy a MAC, they dont want you running Steam, or developers to make software for it, they want you buying short

Consoles = Games = easy Profit, PC/Mac = Games = little profit, iOS devices = Games = mega profit.

A lot of that is true, but I think the desktop paradigm is due to be replaced. It's actually quite amazing how old most of our latest tech is.

BIOS, IPv4, DNS, ARP, MAC addresses, registers and CPU design. The concepts are the same as 20 years ago, just smaller. (Of course they have been a few incremental breakthroughs) but much of the computer world is the same as before.

Recent chipset designs (system on a chip, etc) whilst merely extensions of old ideas are finally realizing tremendous power and efficiency that is allowing us to truly create fluid graphical interfaces. The joy of iOS is that it seems to put that at the forefront of the experience. And is quite incredible for it.

My iPhone 4 was used heavily for over 2 years, and before that my 3G. Both have performed great. I have not needed to reinstall the OS, they ran great and never made me think about the underlying software architecture. I could just use it.

Of course, I am "into" computers and like to get under the hood, so jail breaking and getting in to the filesystem is fun, but for the user experience, unneeded and creates issues.

So, I think it is a good thing that Apple is doing this, they are doing for their software what they have been doing with their hardware for many years now, taking away user customization in the name of greater stability and reduced support cost.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
The controls on PC via the 360 controller are amazing. I know it's not cool enough for you, because you probably are a wing commander veteran with patches on his shoulders and also have a proven Giana Sisters C64 runthrough record. But anyway - the game plays fantastic with the xbox360 controller on PC, it pretty much beats any conventional PC input method.

Let me explain why the controls sucked for me. I play pc-games because I don't have to have a controller in my hands. One controller in both hands, with limited buttons, slow sticks and no way to customize it. Oh, and Wing Commander is a joystick game ;-) Although it was also playable with a mouse.

Why do I have to hit a button repeatedly to open a ventilation shaft, pull a wall etc? After 3 times it's just a waste of time and it's annoying. It's made for button bashing freaks apparently, not for me. I could just hold a button so 'he' can pull the ceiling on some baddie. The only reason it would take more time is so you can't escape quickly through the tunnels (And that means you need better tactics).

Targeting systems… for those that cannot aim quickly because they have a controller…

Buttons that have multiple functions because the controller has too little buttons. For example knocking someone out is right-button and ctrl I believe, pressing it wrong makes you grab a battarang and thus killing the combo.

Why is the camera so close on his back. It just made me scream in the beginning. Just give me the choice to zoom back from the character. Now half of my screen is filled with Bats.

Why, after restarting a challenge, do I have to wait and see the intro of the challenge every time. Nobody didn't really think about it really, some challenges are difficult and you have to restart them after doing something wrong. My computer is able to load the scene quickly, consols not but I'm playing on a pc.

Just give me normal saves, no I have no opportunity to play a particular scene again quickly (I liked fighting big groups of baddies), just ridiculous.

The game is amazingly funny and dark and detailed, but due to the controls and game-design it was really flawed. A shame really. Nevertheless I might buy Arkham City when the price is right.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Let me explain why the controls sucked for me. I play pc-games because I don't have to have a controller in my hands. One controller in both hands, with limited buttons, slow sticks and no way to customize it. Oh, and Wing Commander is a joystick game ;-) Although it was also playable with a mouse.

Why do I have to hit a button repeatedly to open a ventilation shaft, pull a wall etc? After 3 times it's just a waste of time and it's annoying. It's made for button bashing freaks apparently, not for me. I could just hold a button so 'he' can pull the ceiling on some baddie. The only reason it would take more time is so you can't escape quickly through the tunnels (And that means you need better tactics).

Targeting systems… for those that cannot aim quickly because they have a controller…

Buttons that have multiple functions because the controller has too little buttons. For example knocking someone out is right-button and ctrl I believe, pressing it wrong makes you grab a battarang and thus killing the combo.

Why is the camera so close on his back. It just made me scream in the beginning. Just give me the choice to zoom back from the character. Now half of my screen is filled with Bats.

Why, after restarting a challenge, do I have to wait and see the intro of the challenge every time. Nobody didn't really think about it really, some challenges are difficult and you have to restart them after doing something wrong. My computer is able to load the scene quickly, consols not but I'm playing on a pc.

Just give me normal saves, no I have no opportunity to play a particular scene again quickly (I liked fighting big groups of baddies), just ridiculous.

The game is amazingly funny and dark and detailed, but due to the controls and game-design it was really flawed. A shame really. Nevertheless I might buy Arkham City when the price is right.

I received Arkham Asylum free with my nvidia card purchase. I was kinda like "Eh, Batman? Meh." But then I installed it. Why look a gift horse and all that. And ... I loved it. It felt just right for my gamer skill level. I could have fun, play, enjoy the characters, graphics, visual design and story (which is all quite good), etc. It kept my interest. As a non-extreme and non-dedicated gamer that actually prefers FPS over "casual" games, I really was surprised at how much I enjoyed it and the lack of game fatigue.

Then I got to Killer Croc's Lair.

Totally effing impossible.

Sigh.

What a waste of time since I will never finish the game now. When Arkham City was announced, I was interested, but I kept thinking "oh, unless there's another part like Croc's Lair. Nah. Not really interested after all."

This is why I'm not a true gamer. They all have at least one offensively bad segment that makes me have to give up and never play again. And with the consolitis, killing features like free save (which would make it possible to get through Croc's Lair, the bastards), games are just getting worse. Harder is not necessarily more enjoyable.

So my move to Mac with fewer games is quite a weird experience. On one hand, I miss big games with awesome graphics. On the other... meh, whatever.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007

No, I play PC games because some type of games are way better with keyboard and mouse. But some really are better with controller. Sorry, but the whole gameplay of Batman Arkham City is designed for a controller like the X360 one, and it work VERY well. If you simply don't like using a controller, then don't play games that are made for controllers.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
Keyboard and mouse

I played AA and AC with keyboard and mouse. While it may be better with a controller (haven't tried it), I had no problems and never found myself complaining about the controls. The real questions is, do I want to pay for it again?

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Oh crap ! This still ain't on Mac ??? LOL

Why even bother gaming on Mac ?

tumblr_mb6gdvZeKB1r8jvb3o2_500.gif

----------

I played AA and AC with keyboard and mouse. While it may be better with a controller (haven't tried it), I had no problems and never found myself complaining about the controls. The real questions is, do I want to pay for it again?

Just get a Logitech Rumble Pad !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.