Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Hello, I have an unlocked iPhone 5 in Canada. I'm traveling to the US for a few weeks and I'd like to pick up a SIM and activate prepaid. I've done this in the past with AT&T micro SIMs. Is there such a thing as an AT&T nano SIM that will let me activate on AT&T prepaid (GoPhone I think it's called?)

If not, is there an alternative carrier with whom I could do this?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Hello, I have an unlocked iPhone 5 in Canada. I'm traveling to the US for a few weeks and I'd like to pick up a SIM and activate prepaid. I've done this in the past with AT&T micro SIMs. Is there such a thing as an AT&T nano SIM that will let me activate on AT&T prepaid (GoPhone I think it's called?)

If not, is there an alternative carrier with whom I could do this?

I don't know whether AT&T has nano-sims available for their GoPhone plans yet. I wasn't able to find specific information on their website.
The only other nationwide carrier you could use is T-Mobile and their service is suspect at best.
I realize it's a pain, but you could always cut down a micro-sim to fit the nano-sim slot.
http://www.iclarified.com/24489/printable-nanosim-and-microsim-cutting-guide-download

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I don't know whether AT&T has nano-sims available for their GoPhone plans yet. I wasn't able to find specific information on their website.
The only other nationwide carrier you could use is T-Mobile and their service is suspect at best.
I realize it's a pain, but you could always cut down a micro-sim to fit the nano-sim slot.
http://www.iclarified.com/24489/printable-nanosim-and-microsim-cutting-guide-download

Thanks! I don't at all mind having to cut down a micro SIM as long as it actually works. So it sounds like most of the time the micro SIM is plenty thin enough and doesn't need to be sanded? I'm even happy to buy a sim cutter online, although I'd certainly appreciate a bit of guidance in terms of which one is a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.