Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I signed up for iTunes match a couple of months ago when I got an Apple TV because I wanted to try it out. As someone with 75 GB of music and a 32GB iPod (and now a new 32GB iPhone 5!) it sounded like something that I can really take advantage of. However, I've had some major problems with it that have prevented me from using it much. In fact, I haven't really listened to music much at all since getting iTunes Match because I feel like it's too much of a hassle now. Here are some of my main concerns.

1) Previously I could create a playlist and sync my iPod to that playlist. I would put all the music I wanted into that playlist and use it to manage what was on my iPod and how much space music was using.

Now I want to sync that same selection of music to my new iPhone, but it seems that the only way I can do that with iTunes Match is to download each album individually from the iPhone. The only way that I can think of to work around this is to turn off iTunes Match each time I want to re-sync my music.

2) I also created two automated playlists that I've used for years to make loading new music onto my iPod a simple process. I have one playlist that automatically includes any new music that I've added to iTunes over the last 30 days, and another playlist that has any music that I've listened to over the last 30 days. When I download a new album, it gets added to the iPod the next time I sync, and if I listen to it periodically it stays on the iPod. If I forget about it and don't listen to it it's gone after a month and no longer takes up space.

Now with iTunes Match, when I import a new album, I have to first sync my iTunes Match library and then find that album and download it again to the iPod. Is there a better way to add new music to my iPod/iPhone each time?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I signed up for iTunes match a couple of months ago when I got an Apple TV because I wanted to try it out. As someone with 75 GB of music and a 32GB iPod (and now a new 32GB iPhone 5!) it sounded like something that I can really take advantage of. However, I've had some major problems with it that have prevented me from using it much. In fact, I haven't really listened to music much at all since getting iTunes Match because I feel like it's too much of a hassle now. Here are some of my main concerns.

1) Previously I could create a playlist and sync my iPod to that playlist. I would put all the music I wanted into that playlist and use it to manage what was on my iPod and how much space music was using.

Now I want to sync that same selection of music to my new iPhone, but it seems that the only way I can do that with iTunes Match is to download each album individually from the iPhone. The only way that I can think of to work around this is to turn off iTunes Match each time I want to re-sync my music.

2) I also created two automated playlists that I've used for years to make loading new music onto my iPod a simple process. I have one playlist that automatically includes any new music that I've added to iTunes over the last 30 days, and another playlist that has any music that I've listened to over the last 30 days. When I download a new album, it gets added to the iPod the next time I sync, and if I listen to it periodically it stays on the iPod. If I forget about it and don't listen to it it's gone after a month and no longer takes up space.

Now with iTunes Match, when I import a new album, I have to first sync my iTunes Match library and then find that album and download it again to the iPod. Is there a better way to add new music to my iPod/iPhone each time?

If you have iTunes Match turned on, you don't need to sync music at all anymore. Everything is available including all your songs and whatever playlists you have set up on your computer. Have you even turned on iTunes Match on your iPhone? You have to turn it on at every device you plan to use it.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
If you have iTunes Match turned on, you don't need to sync music at all anymore. Everything is available including all your songs and whatever playlists you have set up on your computer. Have you even turned on iTunes Match on your iPhone? You have to turn it on at every device you plan to use it.

Yes, I've turned on iTunes Match on my iPhone (and have since turned it off). The problem when it is turn on, and I get on the bus on the way to work, and want to listen to music, I have to download it over LTE before I can listen to it. Without unlimited date this can be prohibitive, not to mention significantly more slow than just having the music on there in the first place. Even when I'm at work and can connect to wifi, I still have to download albums and songs before I can play them, which makes it a hassle just to listen to music.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
So you're not happy with the music streaming service you've subscribed to because you have to... stream the music? I'm sorry if this sounds obtuse, but how else would you expect it to work?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, I've turned on iTunes Match on my iPhone (and have since turned it off). The problem when it is turn on, and I get on the bus on the way to work, and want to listen to music, I have to download it over LTE before I can listen to it. Without unlimited date this can be prohibitive, not to mention significantly more slow than just having the music on there in the first place. Even when I'm at work and can connect to wifi, I still have to download albums and songs before I can play them, which makes it a hassle just to listen to music.

Well just to be clear, you don't have to download anything either. Just click on the song or playlist to play it as usual. The device automatically pulls the song down and plays it immediately. You don't have to wait until it downloads or anything. It also automatically downloads the next song for you in the background. Your played songs stay cached until the device needs the extra space and they are automatically purged.

While you can manually download playlists and albums, it's not necessary. iTunes Match is after all a streaming service that allows you to not have to worry about managing music storage. If you don't want to stream your music, then why use iTunes Match at all? Just sync the old way.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Well just to be clear, you don't have to download anything either. Just click on the song or playlist to play it as usual. The device automatically pulls the song down and plays it immediately. You don't have to wait until it downloads or anything. It also automatically downloads the next song for you in the background. Your played songs stay cached until the device needs the extra space and they are automatically purged.

While you can manually download playlists and albums, it's not necessary. iTunes Match is after all a streaming service that allows you to not have to worry about managing music storage. If you don't want to stream your music, then why use iTunes Match at all? Just sync the old way.

Thank you. I think you've just hilighted my exact problem with the service. With iTunes match, in order to play music I have to be connected and able to stream it, and consume non-unlimited bandwith in the process. This is problematic on the iPhone, and nearly impossible on the iPod Touch when not connected to wifi.

The other option that I have, as you've pointed out, is to sync the old fashioned way, and disable iTunes Match. Unfortunately this is what I've had to do. It would be nice if there was something inbetween committing to stream all of my music all of the time and syncing it the old-fashioned way and lose access to most of my collection most of the time.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
It would be nice if there was something inbetween committing to stream kall of my music all of the time and syncing it the old-fashioned way and lose access to most of my collection most of the time.
There is another option.
I sync to a playlist with Match turned off, then turn it back on, the playlist music remains on the device and also the rest of my library is available via Match if there is something I want to download at another time.

ggabriele3

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
I'm with you on the iTunes Match frustration.

My smart playlists are sorted by Date Added, but iTunes Match (since launch! still!) sorts them by artist or, whatever it wants.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
The other option that I have, as you've pointed out, is to sync the old fashioned way, and disable iTunes Match. Unfortunately this is what I've had to do. It would be nice if there was something inbetween committing to stream all of my music all of the time and syncing it the old-fashioned way and lose access to most of my collection most of the time.
If I am understanding you, here's a suggestion that might help:
With my iPhone connected to Wi-Fi, with iTunes Match enabled and Show All Music set to "On" , I can create a new Playlist and add individual songs to it. At the bottom of the new Playlist is an iCloud icon. If I click on it, the songs are downloaded to the iPhone. I can then turn off Show All Music and the playlist remains on the iPhone.Using Wi-Fi or 4G, I can also add to the playlist, delete individual songs, or delete the entire playlist.

Obviously, this process requires that you create playlists before you leave your Wi-Fi network, but it might be a compromise that works for you. I agree that the process I have described isn't as elegant as the method in iOS 5, but I'm getting used to it.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thank you. I think you've just hilighted my exact problem with the service. With iTunes match, in order to play music I have to be connected and able to stream it, and consume non-unlimited bandwith in the process. This is problematic on the iPhone, and nearly impossible on the iPod Touch when not connected to wifi.

As the post above explains, the way that you keep music on your device with Match is to download it while on wifi. Create a playlist on either the phone or in iTunes and put all the music you want to keep locally in it. Download that entire playlist. That music remains on your device until you delete it. The whole point of this system is to allow you to keep some music local while having access to everything else.

Also, in iOS6, music that is streamed is cached so you don't necessarily have to download it again if you've listened to it recently.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Check out this : https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4112

You think you have problems.

I'm considering to start using Match, but this FAQ scares the hell outta me..

I'll keep backups of course, Apple has no right to replace tracks with ones they "think" you should have..

I expect the that "explicit" song to be there, not some crummy clean version of it. After all, thats not the one that it uploaded...

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
London

Ahhhhhhrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!! The system is just so STUPID!!!!

For lots of reasons i want to control what music is on my phone.

Why can't you just tell it which playlists to have on the phone, and then if you want any other's, be able to download them? Or for that matter, take some music off your phone.

For example, say i download a kiddy playlist for a kids party ... the party's then over ... but that music is clogging up my phone. Can't get it off.

Just so stupid!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ahhhhhhrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!! The system is just so STUPID!!!!

For lots of reasons i want to control what music is on my phone.

Why can't you just tell it which playlists to have on the phone, and then if you want any other's, be able to download them? Or for that matter, take some music off your phone.

For example, say i download a kiddy playlist for a kids party ... the party's then over ... but that music is clogging up my phone. Can't get it off.

Just so stupid!

There are posts in this very thread that explain to you how to do exactly what you want. Once you understand how Match works, doing what you describe is quite trivial.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
London
There are posts in this very thread that explain to you how to do exactly what you want. Once you understand how Match works, doing what you describe is quite trivial.

Hi!
I had to re-read the thread - and perhaps i'm being dense (wouldn't be the first time) but the closest that i can get to there being posts here explaining what i want is: "sync to a playlist with Match turned off, then turn it back on".

That's what i've now done, but i wouldn't say that a service which requires itself to be turned on and then turned off AND kept left off, for you to have any sort of control / easy visibility of what's stored and what's not, isn't really intelligent! One of the major gripes i have of this, is that is very hard to see what you have got on the phone and what you haven't. If you're not on wifi, then this can be a bummer, if it turns out that what you want is not on the phone.

I've paid for Match because i want an easy back up of my files, not really to be able to download any of the songs whilst on the go. If i had to choose between being able to download any of my songs / being in easy control of what's on and not on my phone, i'd go for the latter every time.

Cheers :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
With Match turned on, download the entire playlist you want by clicking the cloud icon at the very bottom of the playlist.

Once that playlist is downloaded, you can turn off Show All Music. It will now only show you the music you have on your device.

If you want to have access to the rest of your music to stream or download, turn Show All Music back on.

If you want to delete music that is on your phone, turn off Show All Music, then turn of Match. Delete the music you want gone, and then turn Match back on.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
London
With Match turned on, download the entire playlist you want by clicking the cloud icon at the very bottom of the playlist...

Hi Zhenya,

Got to be quick as i'm dashing off out - but many thanks for taking the time to write me back. I'll have a go at using your method, though i must say that it would be nice for Apple to implement something more simple.

Many thanks again,
Slaterk

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
When you download a playlist as mentioned, does it download JUST the playlist or the entire album of every song in the play list (e.g. if you have the whole album, but only one song is in the playlist, if you download the playlist does it include just that song or the entire album containing the song?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
When you download a playlist as mentioned, does it download JUST the playlist or the entire album of every song in the play list (e.g. if you have the whole album, but only one song is in the playlist, if you download the playlist does it include just that song or the entire album containing the song?

Just the actual songs in the playlist.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Alright, so using playlists I'd have a way to get only the songs I actually want. that's an improvement from how I thought it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.