Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finkle00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Didnt see any other posts about this, please advise if there are.

I plugged in my new IPhone 5 to my altec lansing speaker system at work and launched pandora.

I get this screetching sound and when i move the power cords around or other wires it comes and goes but is not consistent. Its to the point I cant even listen to it.

It even comes thru when no music is playing.

My Iphone 4 never had this issue.

Any Advice?

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
No advice, but when I listen to music or talk using new earpods with ip5 and I rotate the plug in the jack, there's a lot of crackling. Sometimes the crackling occurs while I'm moving around with the phone in my pocket.

lexpression

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Interference and charging

Same problem when charging in car and connected to Cars aux Jack. Don't even have to have anything playing. This is a major problem. I must assume that I have to choose to listen to what I want or charge, but not both. HUGE problem. :mad:

brandolevi

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
This is the only place on the web I could find anyone with the same problem. I've had my iPhone 5 for a few days and when I plug an aux cord into the audio jack I get serious cracklings and interference.
It seems to happen when data is being used.

For example: when using spotify it crackles constantly. When using the iTunes it doesn't make any noise. It crackles when receiving a text.

Anyways. I wonder if there are any ways to fix this. A shielded cable? Or if this is just a problem that only a few of us are having... In that case, what can we do about it if everyone else has a working iPhone.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
For people having trouble with this, did you guys try a different cable? I have noticed that a Belkin cable performed a lot better than a generic 3.5mm cable that I found off of some computer speakers.

vajeff

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
I have the same issue and I am using a Belkin Cable bought at the Apple Store. I will try with another cord or two once I dig them up... Can't wait for the adapter...

Now in my wife's Maxima, where there is a USB port in the center console, the iP5 works just as my past ones have!

My truck just has the 30Pin Connector coming out from behind the dash... So I need to wait on the adapter.

hauntedapples

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
I have been experiencing identical problems with my iPhone 5, and I don't think it has anything to do with the Aux cable in use.

The reason I say this is because it has made the exact same popping and buzzing noises on my computer speakers at work...and my phone was not plugged in. It was simply just sitting on the table near the speakers.

There's some sort of electromagnetic interference - perhaps the power of the LTE signal?

Either way, I never experienced anything like this on my 4 or 4s, and it's really unfortunate that I can't double my new iPhone 5 as an iPod to listen to music without insane popping and buzzing noises. :mad:

----------

Does anyone know if this even something they can fix with a software or firmware update?

rrodriguez0907

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
IPhone 5 - Aux Audio Jack getting interference

I get audio interference if my iphone 5 is next to computer speakers. What's up with that??:(

finkle00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Fixed.....

I turned off LTE, and i have no problems.. Give it a shot and let me know if youR successful?

btw im on verizon...

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Shouldn't be a problem unless you're on EDGE. I'd say it's probably to do with the cable but might be a faulty connection somewhere internally. I'd take it back if you still have issues with a new cable.

finkle00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Shouldn't be a problem unless you're on EDGE. I'd say it's probably to do with the cable but might be a faulty connection somewhere internally. I'd take it back if you still have issues with a new cable.

I have an Iphone 4 right hear and it doesnt have the problem...ive isolated it to not be the cord....100% certain.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Weird.. I'd definitely take it back then. I've got no problems with an aux cable plugged into my Sony car deck even while charging with the lightning cable simultaneously.

ashes0601

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Maryland
Aux Jack

I am having the same issues, except my phone wont play ANYTHING through auxiliary cord. Mine is completely silent, pisses me off because i have 600+ songs. I am so used to selecting my itunes or pandora and cant do that. Has anyone tried to return their phone to apple? Or is this an issue they will need to FIX the phone first?:(

AppleLuvver

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
U.S.
Aux jack interference/crackling

I registered just so that I could post that I am having the same issue w/ iphone 5 (verizon). Had the 4S before this and never had any problems. Same cable. Plugged into aux this morning to stream and had a lot of crackling. Switched to my own music, same thing. Unplugged the phone, and the crackling stopped.

Funny thing is I have streamed with the 5 before this with NO PROBLEMS. The only thing I can think of that has changed is that update they did due to wifi/data issues. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

eseminario

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
same issue here... at first, I thought it was my cable..but I use belkin and I never had a problem before with my iPhone 4... now I'm scheduling a service support ...

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Poor shielding and or grounding is the cause, not the cable. Get the phones replaced and send feedback to apple. They don't read these posts.

AppleLuvver

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
U.S.
Both times that my phone did this I was driving near a police car. Since then it has been fine. Coincidence??

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
I use a bluetooth adapter, maybe it will work for you !
there are several brands to choose from.

aeronauticsrock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
I have the same problem- in my case it is only an issue when data is being used.

So I have just the aux cable plugged in to my phone and stereo- whenever LTE lights up it's BAD.

Anyone have an idea to fix? It couldnt be a problem with the iphone, right?

cennix

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Same problem when charging in car and connected to Cars aux Jack. Don't even have to have anything playing. This is a major problem. I must assume that I have to choose to listen to what I want or charge, but not both. HUGE problem. :mad:

This is even a problem on the iPhone 4S , it doesn't work on my current iPhone when I'm in the car with it charging and trying to listen to music

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I get this problem occassionally, was recently having it happen with my iPod Classic connected to my computer audio system. It is definitely the cables. One thing that is simple you could try- bundle the loose cables and wires, like with cable ties. Make the cord runs as short as possible. That seems to make them act like antennas way less. Pretty much resolved my iPod issue.

dstedman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Same interference - it's the LTE chip!

I'm having the same problem and have narrowed it down to being on an LTE network. When I run Pandora over wifi there is no noise, and when I turn off LTE there is no noise. But if LTE is on and I'm using LTE to get music from Pandora, I can hear the interference/static sound as it downloads each song right around the end of the song I'm listening to. I can also open Facebook or the browser & hear the data come across, so the LTE chip that the iPhone5 is using is definitely causing the interference. I'm running the following:

IP5->.2m Adapter Cable->Universal Dock-> Line Out->XIN Amp->SE530's

Bummer. :(

dan

KillerStephen

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Just registered to say Im having the same problem. Also found that disabling LTE seems to remove the issue. I'm on Verizon.

Did anyone determine a method for correction? Return the phone or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.