Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
It's not for me. I bought the black one this morning and it's already been returned. It's sturdy and tight but it's way too bulky and it totally ruins the look of the phone.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not for me. I bought the black one this morning and it's already been returned. It's sturdy and tight but it's way too bulky and it totally ruins the look of the phone.

I have a white iPhone so the white/gray combo looks sweet. I hope the replacement I got will be ok

hockey17

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
well I was drunk all yesterday for homecoming and my phone slid all the way across a road in this case.

Case held up well and phone is in perfect shape.

Passed the drunk college kid test.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
It is flaking on mine. I have the gloss black one.
Sadly, I am also seeing a very little bit of the rubber flaking on my black Satin version. I otherwise LOVE this case for the looks, touch, and protection it offers. I'll probably just let it wear over the next several months and get a new case if it gets really bad.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
I'm also intrigued by the "Satin" version of the Candyshell which has a soft touch back which is supposed to be far more grippy and resistant to scratching. Anyone give this one a go?

I got one from the Speck Website. So far,I love it!

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Exchanged my white/gray Candy a couple of days ago because the gray was getting discolored. Now my replacement is starting to get discolored.

With my past iPhones I had issues with the flaking.

I always wanted to like Speck Candy but the issues are disappointing

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
Just wondering, does anyone think the case is too slippery? I LOVE how it looks on the white iphone5 but I am just worried about dropping it or it being too slippery. I know there is the grip version that would help, but I am not the biggest fan of the colors they offer. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks! :)

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I had a Speck Candyshell on my 3GS, and just got one for my iphone 5. Here are my findings:

Pros:

1. Great protection from drops. The rubber inside seems like it will absorb impact shock, and the lip will help for face drops.

2. Attractive imo. Really clean design and good construction. Fits well with the iphone design.

Cons:

1. Will scratch your phone over time. It's either the rubber or particles getting in between the rubber and the phone. The edges of my 3GS ended up scratched all over with the shell on. While the new case for the 5 seems to have a new rubber, I wouldn't trust this case for the following reason:

2. The fit for getting your phone in and out is TOO TIGHT. While this provides a great fit if you just leave the phone in there forever, I am sure that ingress and egress is damaging the buttons (power, volume, rocker). While it can take so much damage, one time is all it takes to ruin one. The tight fit also makes for scratches. I have put my 5 in twice, and removed it twice so far without problems. But I am not confident about the long run.

3. The speck case itself is highly prone to scratches. It's only been 2 days and the back as hairline scratches all over. If anything like my 3GS case, it will also scuff and dull over time. The bottom lip on my 3GS ripped down the middle as well.

overall I don't recommend the speck case. It's designed to protect your phone, but seems to introduce more damage. If you don't mind scratches, then go for it. I think it provides great drop protection. I dropped it once getting out of my car, and it slid on a gravel road. No damage whatsoever from the road.

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
I got the Candyshell Satin Black/Slate for myself and the Speck Smartflex Card in Malachite for my wife. This is my first Speck case but my wife has had a few Candyshell cases for her 3GS. I always thought they were great cases. The only issue she ran into with the old ones was the edge around the 30-pin connector breaking after a while. The iPhone 5 cases have a much shorter bridge now between the two sides and it is not as thin so I don't think this will be an issue with the new ones.

I don't really care if it get scratched up eventually. I don't buy a case under the assumption that it will last the life of the phone. I buy a case that takes a beating and gets scratched up so my phone doesn't bare the abuse.

Funny thing is that both of the iP5 cases I got from Speck, (ordered them the day they became available on their website), are now on backorder.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I have a Speck Candyshell Grip Red/Black on my Black iPhone 5. I really like the case and the grippyness of it... but it is kind of bulky and hides the beauty of the iPhone. Also... even though the packaging advertised it as being "red/black", many people have told me that the red looks pink.

Anyway... I still have 2 weeks to take it back to AT&T and I have a SwitchEasy NUDE (clear) on the way. We'll see which one gets the job of covering my iPhone! :D

BIG BUCKNUT

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Recenty got this...
2392C12B-A428-4672-A1BC-8081DFC96957-7467-000002F8B993709D.jpg

I gotta say it is really nice. Sure it scratches a little but the white hides it well. It looks like it should be part of the phone.

58A0F89E-620B-43FD-94D9-B05098DC7FD0-7467-000002F8B618CB03.jpg

D775231E-1627-4736-A550-18E17BDE14F2-7467-000002F8B851E9DE.jpg

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
The only issue she ran into with the old ones was the edge around the 30-pin connector breaking after a while. The iPhone 5 cases have a much shorter bridge now between the two sides and it is not as thin so I don't think this will be an issue with the new ones.
The interesting thing is that the hole for the Lightning connector is much larger than it needs to be - I wonder if a future revision shrinks the hole a bit and makes that top "bridge" a little thicker and sturdier than it is now.

BTW, coming from a Speck Card Case for my previous iPhone 4, loved the non-grippy but matte finish. My new black CandyShell is a fingerprint and scratch magnet by comparison, but that's OK as long as it protects the phone.

----------

Cons:

2. The fit for getting your phone in and out is TOO TIGHT. While this provides a great fit if you just leave the phone in there forever, I am sure that ingress and egress is damaging the buttons (power, volume, rocker). While it can take so much damage, one time is all it takes to ruin one. The tight fit also makes for scratches. I have put my 5 in twice, and removed it twice so far without problems. But I am not confident about the long run.

If you're going to be taking your iPhone in and out of the case constantly, I can see the issue. The CandyShell is definitely a put-on-and-leave-on case. But now that I have the CandyShell case on, I don't have any reason to remove it. Why do you need to be taking your case on and off so much? The PixelSkin sounds like a better choice for you - easy on, easy off.

popozao

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012

You could try the flip version. It's a little bit easier to get the phone in and out (you can slide the top part on, and then flip the bottom part into place). I just got the black/grey one for my black iphone, and it was pretty easy to get on -- snug, but not super tight. Drawback: they only have the shiny texture for the flip cases.

The shiny black is a fingerprint magnet, but I didn't like the other color combos that were in stock on Amazon when I ordered. I'll wait a few months and the prices will plummet, and I'll get the color I want. I waited too long to get a case as it is -- got a nick right on the front edge of the phone :(. Hopefully, the Flip will save it further abuse.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
If you're going to be taking your iPhone in and out of the case constantly, I can see the issue. The CandyShell is definitely a put-on-and-leave-on case. But now that I have the CandyShell case on, I don't have any reason to remove it. Why do you need to be taking your case on and off so much? The PixelSkin sounds like a better choice for you - easy on, easy off.

I recommend taking it off and cleaning out the inside of the case and the phone. I don't know if it will happen to the 5 with the new rubber and the dimples (dimples won't help where it does not recess) but my 3GS always got lint and debris from my pocket in there which ended up scratching the phone (chrome edge and backplate).

But I agree, if you just leave it on for the life of the phone, then it's a great case if you don't mind the hairline scratches on the back. There is also the issue with the lip getting in the way of your thumb swipes, but that is minor.

Overall a good case with a few nuances. One of the better looking ones imo.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Hopefully Speck adds some additional colors soon ... the iPhone 5 CandyShell in Snakebite Green is just what my wife is looking for. (Note below pic is of 4/4s version)

41ZxkoNO8fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lizzie.

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
USA
mJ6tn.jpg

UtOE1.jpg

Here is the "Pebble/Peacock" combo.
Sorry about the awful quality. I used the iPad 2's camera.

I'll edit this once my CandyShell Flip "Raspberry/Dark Raspberry/Peacock" arrives and post those pictures as well.

EDIT: here is the CandyShell Flip
http://imgur.com/a/xBBT1#xEegK

Last edited:

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
I just got it in black. It is a bit slippery. I don't care that it may scratch easily. Really it's just a temporary case until the lifeproof comes out.

I saw a comment that the case is so tight that it could damage the buttons etc. Do you really think so? Or was the comment more about taking it in and out...not sure why you'd do that but...

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I had got this one, but it was way to bulky. Swicthed it for the candyshell grip. Love this case it's nice and snug. And not really bulky at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.