Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I think the best looking iPods are the first generation ones.
The wheel and buttons looked like a white speaker.
I didn't like it at all when they moved the buttons to the row (2G)

Ans while the new click wheel works like a dream, it just doens't look as good.

Is it just me that feels this way?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The 3G had the buttons in a row, the 2G was the same design as the first iPod but it had a touch wheel instead of a scroll wheel.

I like the simplicity of the 4G design but I really don't like the gray click wheel. The all-white design of the 3G looks great as does the red light up buttons, if the click wheel was either a much lighter grey or even just a matte finish white with light up buttons it'd be awesome.

Hey, can anyone make a quick mock-up of something like this? I wanna see if it does actually look good.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Chundles said:
The 3G had the buttons in a row, the 2G was the same design as the first iPod but it had a touch wheel instead of a scroll wheel.

I like the simplicity of the 4G design but I really don't like the gray click wheel. The all-white design of the 3G looks great as does the red light up buttons, if the click wheel was either a much lighter grey or even just a matte finish white with light up buttons it'd be awesome.

Hey, can anyone make a quick mock-up of something like this? I wanna see if it does actually look good.

I agree, I like the all white of the 3G design.

I doubt you could make the buttons light up on the click wheel though.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
So many people are confused about the iPod generation thing and which is which. I had a friend who thought the 3rd gen (lighted buttons) was the first type of iPod. He was shocked when I pulled out my 2nd gen. When I got the original back in December of (2001?), I loved the moveable wheel. But it was horrible for running unless the hold button was on. One thing I do love about the first two gens was that I could really use them through shirts and paints. Even the latest aren't as good at doing this as the originals.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
I agree, I like the all white of the 3G design.

I doubt you could make the buttons light up on the click wheel though.

I know.....still be pretty cool though, ooh! have the buttons on the click wheel of the iPod mini light up the same colour as the case! That'd be sweet.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I used to like the boxy design of the first ipods, and I didn't like the clickwheel on my mini 1g that much, but i think apple did much better witht he iPod 4G. my personal favorite.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Loved the movable wheel of my 1st Gen and have always wished that Apple would create a DJ ready iPod for virtual scratching - never happen though. Other than that I love the 3G iPod over the click wheel.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I actually like the 1G setup the best, as I dont' really like the touch wheel, as you can't operate it with gloves on. But, of all the current iPods, I enjoy the mini the best, from a design standpoint. Small and sleek, though it's less rugged than the big guys.

MP

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
First of all, I think the best design is not only by looks but by convienence. And the first generation was the worst due to the actual wheel physically moving. The second generation and fourth generation are almost the same. However, the integrated buttons of the fourth generation are clearly easier than the second gen's buttons being on the OUTSIDE of the wheel, whereas the fourth gen is IN the wheel. So, the 1st and 2nd gen are out.

The fourth generation is more compact, which is pretty cool, but I personally like the third generation the best. The fourth is better for like cases, etc. but its annoying to have to hold down the wheel to click a button. The third generation iPod is touch sensitive so you don't have to press anything. Plus, it has the best layout design of all iPods. Obviously, left is BACK and right is FORWARD, but the way menu and play are placed make it really easy to navigate. Plus, having the wheel all by itself is amazing. And it brought the dock/connector. But the best part is the red backlight of the buttons.

By looks, however, the fourth gen looses because its pretty ugly. And the 1st and 2nd gen loose because the buttons stick out. The third gen is hot and the best iPod ever. Plus, the buttons turn RED. Thats sick, dude.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
In terms of looks, the 3rd gen hands down. That thing looks damn sexy in a dock.

In terms of functionality, the 4th gen. All of the buttons right there is really convinient for the user...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wwooden said:
So many people are confused about the iPod generation thing and which is which. I had a friend who thought the 3rd gen (lighted buttons) was the first type of iPod.

Haha, the best to me is... I told a friend he needed to get a certain version of an accessory, because he had a 4G iPod, and he e-mailed me back to tell me, no, his was actually a 20G iPod! :eek: ;) :D Ahhh, I should've seen that one coming. But he should know me well enough to ask what I meant, and know that I know his iPod held more than 4GB..... :rolleyes:

I'm excited to see so many votes for the 3rd gen. I feel the same way. I really love mine. I would like a larger drive and a color screen, but I really love the touch sensitive keys on mine... I like that the front surface is essentially sealed. And I think it looks good. :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
dotdotdot said:
First of all, I think the best design is not only by looks but by convienence. And the first generation was the worst due to the actual wheel physically moving. The second generation and fourth generation are almost the same. However, the integrated buttons of the fourth generation are clearly easier than the second gen's buttons being on the OUTSIDE of the wheel, whereas the fourth gen is IN the wheel. So, the 1st and 2nd gen are out.

The fourth generation is more compact, which is pretty cool, but I personally like the third generation the best. The fourth is better for like cases, etc. but its annoying to have to hold down the wheel to click a button. The third generation iPod is touch sensitive so you don't have to press anything. Plus, it has the best layout design of all iPods. Obviously, left is BACK and right is FORWARD, but the way menu and play are placed make it really easy to navigate. Plus, having the wheel all by itself is amazing. And it brought the dock/connector. But the best part is the red backlight of the buttons.

By looks, however, the fourth gen looses because its pretty ugly. And the 1st and 2nd gen loose because the buttons stick out. The third gen is hot and the best iPod ever. Plus, the buttons turn RED. Thats sick, dude.

Amen.

I really wish I had a 30 GB 3G iPod, cause right now it would fit all my music with a bit of room to spare.

Oh well.

Here's to hoping the 5G is the nicest yet!

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You mean the 6G. We already have a 5G, it is called the iPod with Color Screen.

I love the 3G, the 4G is just different, and a bit ugly.

TEG

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I like the 3rd generation. When in the dark having the buttons and screen light up, it looks awsome. The 4th generation is very useable but the gray click wheel just throws off the design IMO.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
TEG said:
You mean the 6G. We already have a 5G, it is called the iPod with Color Screen.

At some point, an Apple exec stated that they consider all the color screen iPods to be part of the fourth generation....this is from iPodlounge:

iPodlounge.com said:
Clarifying ambiguities over the actual “generation” or version number of the updated iPods released this Tuesday, a senior executive with Apple Computer confirmed to iLounge this evening that the new color-screened devices are still considered by the company to be “4th generation” (4G) iPods.

While the executive did not provide further naming details, Apple has been calling the new models “iPod with color display” in various support documents and software release notes. The company has publicly referred to the last two major iPod revisions, the iPod With Dock Connector (with a touch wheel and four touch-sensitive buttons) and the Click Wheel iPod, as “third-generation” and “fourth-generation” models, respectively. With Tuesday’s iPods still considered part of the fourth-generation family, one can now safely assume that Apple is saving the “fifth-generation” moniker for an all-new iPod yet to be revealed, perhaps conveniently at the same time as version 5.0 of iTunes.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I have to vote Mini; I love the contrast of the white click wheel with the aluminum. One negative aspect of the mini: the sharp aluminum bottom on my mini cut through my headphone wire while it was in my pocket!

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
The original Hpod!

So Beautiful! :rolleyes:

ipodhp.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.