Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Would be awesome if I had only a deadbolt. But my actual doorknob locks too so if I accidently locked that one, I'd be SOL.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Kind of interesting, and something I would consider if I could use it. As it stands all my deadbolts are double cylinders, though, since I have glass windows to the side of all my doors. If it relies on a handle to actuate on the inside I'm not interested.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Their website is horrible. Hardly anything works properly. Either everybody and their brother is busting the door down trying to pre-order or this is the worst e-commerce operation known to man.

----------

Kind of interesting, and something I would consider if I could use it. As it stands all my deadbolts are double cylinders, though, since I have glass windows to the side of all my doors. If it relies on a handle to actuate on the inside I'm not interested.

Not that this really has anything to do with Lockitron, but what's the security win there? If someone takes a hammer and busts the glass, can't they just walk/climb through that instead of the door? Are you worried about the crook who uses a glass cutter to cut a hole just big enough to get their hand through so they can work the deadbolt... But oh curses! It requires a key!

My parents got snookered into double cylinders on their front door deadbolt.

They never took out the key on the inside one. :/

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

Your first premise is false: that simply is untrue and will not work. You must enter the passcode to get to the home screen.

HOWER, they can simply tell Siri to "take me home" from the lock screen and Siri will do it. If "home" has not been learned they can ask Siri "who am I" and that will reveal the owner's name and address. Then they can ask Siri to take them there.

Finally, they can say "launch lockitron" to see if the app is installed. If Siri doesn't say "it doesn't look like you have an app named lockitron installed" but instead asks for passcode they will know it is installed. They can't run it but they now know you probably have that lock.

Odds of the person who found/stole your iPhone knowing all that, and also being a criminal who will rob someone's home? I'd say 1 in a billion.

Mike

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not that this really has anything to do with Lockitron, but what's the security win there? If someone takes a hammer and busts the glass, can't they just walk/climb through that instead of the door? Are you worried about the crook who uses a glass cutter to cut a hole just big enough to get their hand through so they can work the deadbolt... But oh curses! It requires a key!

My parents got snookered into double cylinders on their front door deadbolt.

They never took out the key on the inside one. :/

Good! My uncle was a fireman and hates them. Even a key stashed or hanging nearby is hard to get to when trying to escape a fire.

That said I see no reason Lockitron can't make a model that works with double-cylinder deadbolts. Just leave the key in the lock so it can be turned by the mechanism and replace knob on the front with a key. That would be a triple-cylinder lock!

Michael

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
i've used these lockitron locks before and they work well but it's too soon to rely solely on a smartphone and bluetooth. every one of these locks still needs a key as a backup for when your phone battery dies or is stolen or broken, etc.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
i've used these lockitron locks before and they work well but it's too soon to rely solely on a smartphone and bluetooth. every one of these locks still needs a key as a backup for when your phone battery dies or is stolen or broken, etc.

From what I can see, the outside "interface" to your door is unchanged. I suspect the "back door" (see what I did there?) you're talking about is to just stash your door key in a hide-a-key somewhere.

Me? We have a garage door with an opener. That'll do.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
I feel like this would be rife for abuse. I wonder how easy it would be to brute force the door? Not that regular doors are that much more secure to picking.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just pre-ordered one. If this works similar to the hands free unlocking in my car then one of my more boring dreams has come true. Killer expensive, yes, but no more needing to manually unlock door before bringing groceries in is priceless. So worth a try.

It's going on the door inside my garage so even if I lost my phone and couldn't get to a computer to reset my acct before someone was able to figure an unlock for my phone the thief stills has to find a way to hack my garage door opener too then my wireless alarm system. Any thief that smart is going to want a better target than my house for all that work.

----------

Just so:cool:
Hope it comes in different colors.

It does, but none are too refined. I wouldn't put any on my front door.

----------

You can still use your old school key with this version so what's the risk. I wouldn't stop carrying keys, but this makes normal entry easier, esp. when both hands carrying stuff.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Imagines you loose your keys or someone steals them... More or less the same disadvantages as old fashioned keys but some benefits.

But definitely not something for the Swiss market, we do not have these types of locks.

If it fits your needs this seems to be a cool product. I have a similar product for my car, Renault hands free keyless driving, quite cool!

Just curious... what kind of locks do y'all have over there?

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
So you just walk up to the door with your iPhone, and it uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect and immediately unlock the door? How does it know you're approaching from the outside rather than the inside?

It doesn't matter. If you approach the door from the outside or inside, you'll want it unlocked to pass through.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Interesting. I think it would work best on iPod Touches, no 3g. Come home, in range of your own wifi, then unlock the door for yourself.

That's the Bluetooth 4.0 part. I'm sure you could find a way to make it work that way, too. But this has flexibility. "Oh, I forgot to put out extra cat food before leaving for the weekend - I'll just call my next door neighbor, unlock it when he's there, wait for him to leave and re-lock it."

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It doesn't matter. If you approach the door from the outside or inside, you'll want it unlocked to pass through.

Unless you are walking to lock the door. Though you could now do that from your iPhone in the first place.

But in some houses the front door is next to the staircase, so you walk by and it unlocks. Maybe if it had a timeout feature so that if you don't open it after passing by it returns to its previous state.

And to those worrying about it being hacked - it could happen, but they would have to know you have the lock in the first place. Meaning in a random crime it would be very unlikely.

I don't really like how it looks though, doesn't look very nice next to normal chrome or gold door handles.

I wouldn't mind bluetooth triggered locks for my car though!

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Your first premise is false: that simply is untrue and will not work. You must enter the passcode to get to the home screen.

HOWER, they can simply tell Siri to "take me home" from the lock screen and Siri will do it. If "home" has not been learned they can ask Siri "who am I" and that will reveal the owner's name and address. Then they can ask Siri to take them there.

Finally, they can say "launch lockitron" to see if the app is installed. If Siri doesn't say "it doesn't look like you have an app named lockitron installed" but instead asks for passcode they will know it is installed. They can't run it but they now know you probably have that lock.

Odds of the person who found/stole your iPhone knowing all that, and also being a criminal who will rob someone's home? I'd say 1 in a billion.

Mike

If it's one in a billion then there are roughly six individuals on Earth that we should worry about :eek:

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010

Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question. :rolleyes:

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Quite futuristic! Is there a chance this will work for European locks? I mean it looks like US locks seem very standardized, while EU locks are all totally different, I can't think of a single product fitting all of them...

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question. :rolleyes:

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.

You can have it auto-lock after unlocking (at least you could on the previous model). That wouldn't help with walking up to the door if someone is outside ringing the doorbell but at least it will re-lock if you accidentally unlock when walking past it.

You can also get notified when the door is unlocked.

I would assume on the new model you can turn off the passive unlocking feature but then you have to use the app to unlock.

Michael

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Just pre-odered. Why? I don't know...but I like it.

I wanted to but right before the order went through it never asked me for a color option...did you just pre-order any random color?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Great for people that have deadbolts that are not double (need a key inside and out to unlock). Those that have double deadbolts are up the creek. Lol. Pretty much useless on any door that is adjacent to a window, full view door or french door.

Nice concept though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.