Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Ok, so a while ago I installed Java 7 but decided that I didn't need it and it would be best to stick with Java 6. So, I deleted the JDK and also made sure that there was only java 6 by checking the Java Preferences. But not, I can't delete the Java preference pane in System Preferences. Every time I right click and click remove "Java" preference pane it says "The “JavaControlPanel” preferences pane could not be removed because an error occurred." Please help.

Thanks

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
Ok, so a while ago I installed Java 7 but decided that I didn't need it and it would be best to stick with Java 6. So, I deleted the JDK and also made sure that there was only java 6 by checking the Java Preferences. But not, I can't delete the Java preference pane in System Preferences. Every time I right click and click remove "Java" preference pane it says "The “JavaControlPanel” preferences pane could not be removed because an error occurred." Please help.

Thanks

You can read this: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml

and this: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57423014-263/how-to-install-and-uninstall-java-7-for-os-x/

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012

Protokoll

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks. The first link helped. By the way, what exactly does restoring my java do when I enter in this code into terminal: "sudo ln -s /System/Library/Java/Support/CoreDeploy.bundle/Contents/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin"

If it's anything like Linux (which I assume it is), you're symbolically linking (ln -s) the JavaAppletPlugin in your Library folder with the plugin in your Internet folder.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
If it's anything like Linux (which I assume it is), you're symbolically linking (ln -s) the JavaAppletPlugin in your Library folder with the plugin in your Internet folder.

Should I have done this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.