Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I have found lte to be disappointing in Chicago. Both on AT&T (galaxy s 3) and Verizon iPad 3 and iPhone 5. Elsewhere probably awesome. Just Chicago

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
I was getting 20+ Mbps speeds by the lemont st and 75th st area and around 7 Mbps around plainfield and route 83 on Sprint. But Sprint is only about half way done setting up LTE in Chicago, so its bound to be spotty. Where I live, I dont have LTE, but have noticed 3G is a little better (BIG emphasis on the little). I can, for the most part, stream music while driving, so I hope they're working on towers in my area so I can get some LTE my way. But, I was under the impression that AT&T and Verizon had amazing LTE speeds in Chicago, I guess not?

sdfu93

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Chicago has always had capacity issues, like any major city. You'll get much better speeds way out in the 'burbs.

AT&T has half (5x5mhz) the spectrum as Verizon (10x10mhz) in Chicago, so you'll usually get better results from Verizon, especially on offpeak hours. AT&T's LTE is slightly faster and has less latency than HSPA+ in Chicago.

AT&T is supposed to launch another band of 5x5mhz on AWS waves, but to use both bands at the same time requires an LTE-Advanced device (which don't yet exist). The FCC is also giving the go ahead for AT&T to acquire a nationwide 20mhz band, but the iPhone 5 won't be able to use it.

tophermd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Lakeview here too...

FWIW
I've actually been testing this out myself:
I'm getting between 2-19 Mbps down on AT&T iPhone 5
Around 5-22 Mbps down on Verizon iPad 3 (AKA the New iPad)

That's traveling between Lakeview/Andersonville, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, Des Plaines from home to work last 3 days.
In general, Verizon LTE is smoking AT&T LTE in my testing... probably that limited LTE spectrum AT&T has that I've been hearing about on the interwebs.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago has always had issues with every carrier. I know that AT&T only has half the spectrum running in the city and is trying to get the other half soon to match VZW in the area for LTE coverage and speeds.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
FWIW

That's traveling between Lakeview/Andersonville, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, Des Plaines from home to work last 3 days.
In general, Verizon LTE is smoking AT&T LTE in my testing... probably that limited LTE spectrum AT&T has that I've been hearing about on the interwebs.

Yeah I use Verizon for my own use. I always have signal and never dropped calls on vz. I know the speed is because its a City but its still disappointing. But vz smokes AT&T. Does verizon have more spectrum?

----------

Chicago has always had capacity issues, like any major city. You'll get much better speeds way out in the 'burbs.

AT&T has half (5x5mhz) the spectrum as Verizon (10x10mhz) in Chicago, so you'll usually get better results from Verizon, especially on offpeak hours. AT&T's LTE is slightly faster and has less latency than HSPA+ in Chicago.

AT&T is supposed to launch another band of 5x5mhz on AWS waves, but to use both bands at the same time requires an LTE-Advanced device (which don't yet exist). The FCC is also giving the go ahead for AT&T to acquire a nationwide 20mhz band, but the iPhone 5 won't be able to use it.

It always seems such patchwork and us paying for The networks laziness.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'm in Chicago and have been with Verizon since last October. At that time I made the switch from AT&T due to unreliability in the loop on a regular basis and swore I'd never switch back. I've never had issues with Verizon. All my friends and family are on AT&T though.

I've noticed that phone calls sound a LOT better when on a call from one AT&T phone to another AT&T phone vs Verizon phone to AT&T phone. In general I also prefer the fuller sound of AT&T / GSM calls...when they go through... I have the iPhone 5 w/ VZW currently and LTE has been rock solid everywhere for me so far (loop, north burbs, joliet, des plaines).

So my question is, is AT&T LTE in Chicago likely to be more reliable than its 3G / HSPA+? I want to switch back but hated not being able to use my phone in busy areas. Are you guys in the loop / north side experiencing the brutally slow data speeds like before LTE?

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I'm out in Aurora/Naperville. No I do not have a iPhone 5 nor do I know the speeds. Just felt like telling my location. Sorry.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I'm in Chicago and have been with Verizon since last October. At that time I made the switch from AT&T due to unreliability in the loop on a regular basis and swore I'd never switch back. I've never had issues with Verizon. All my friends and family are on AT&T though.

I've noticed that phone calls sound a LOT better when on a call from one AT&T phone to another AT&T phone vs Verizon phone to AT&T phone. In general I also prefer the fuller sound of AT&T / GSM calls...when they go through... I have the iPhone 5 w/ VZW currently and LTE has been rock solid everywhere for me so far (loop, north burbs, joliet, des plaines).

So my question is, is AT&T LTE in Chicago likely to be more reliable than its 3G / HSPA+? I want to switch back but hated not being able to use my phone in busy areas. Are you guys in the loop / north side experiencing the brutally slow data speeds like before LTE?

Yeah I left AT&T cos of dropped calls in the loop also. I'm guessing its not changed for calls as LTE is only for data.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I'm in Indianapolis and so far, the LTE has been impressive to say the least, it pulls on average 25-35 Mbps

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Stopped at midway yesterday. Pretty busy at Midway with iDevices EVERYWHERE.

Not too bad I guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 69

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
FWIW

Not a 'smoking' difference with AT&T averaging 2-19 and VZW averaging 5-22

jaybagley

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
In Jefferson Park last night. I'm seeing between 3.5-27(My Max) in various locations across the city and Evanston.

Attachments

• 2012-10-03 10.45.25.png
    2012-10-03 10.45.25.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 63

~Phi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
chicago
I'm in lakeview and have been getting less than 2 Mbps all morning. I'm not impressed with AT&T LTE speeds in Chicago so far. On launch day I was averaging around 9 - 10 Mbps, but haven't seen those speeds since.

tophermd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Not a 'smoking' difference with AT&T averaging 2-19 and VZW averaging 5-22
yeah,
I didn't want to bore everyone with the detailed results of my testing over 3 days so I just gave the ranges. when you look at the side-by-side tests, however, you see that Verizon LTE is routinely 3-5x faster than AT&T LTE in the same spot.
Reporting the range was a little deceiving/misleading...I apologize. Verizon only had 1-2 results at the low point of the range I gave whereas MOST of AT&T's speedtest results were at the lower end of the range listed for AT&T...hence the "smoking" comment I made in my original post ;)
This was done over 3 days between Lakeview and the north burbs stopping to and from work along the way 4-6 times on each trip to test data speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.