Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Ugh, what about T-Mobile? There are hundreds of carriers in the US, 16 isn't ****.

----------

What's the point of buying an LTE phone on a carrier without LTE or HSPA +??

Someone enlighten me?

Because LTE isn't the main selling point to them. duh.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
My thoughts exactly. For the most part, I want the iPhone for GPS (and can live with occasional bridge overflight deformities, etc.), email when I'm not in wifi range, and less than 300 calling minutes per month. On occasion, I'll be on vacation and will want to use the phone as a mobile hotspot to update my web site and for web browsing but I've done that before with a teathered RaZR phone and evdo on Verison and was happy with that speed. Sure it isn't as fast as cable at home but I'm on vacation in a National park. I should be outside enjoying life not inside surfing the internet.

If you can live with the VM network with 300 min/month, then you can see that the savings are the clear winner here:

Virgin Mobile iPhone 5 16GB - $650
plan - $30/mo (300 min)
after a year - $1010 ($2.77/day)
after 2 years - $1370 ($1.88/day)
after 3 years - $1730 ($1.58/day)
after 4 years - $2090 ($1.43/day)

Virgin Mobile iPhone 5 64GB - $850
plan - $30/mo (300 min)
after a year - $1210 ($3.32/day)
after 2 years - $1570 ($2.15/day)
after 3 years - $1930 ($1.76/day)
after 4 years - $2290 ($1.57/day)

Straight Talk iPhone 5 16GB - $650
plan - $495/year (unlimited) + $15 nano SIM card
after a year - $1160 ($3.18/day)
after 2 years - $1655 ($2.27/day)
after 3 years - $2150 ($1.96/day)
after 4 years - $2645 ($1.81/day)

Sprint iPhone 5 16GB - $200
plan - $80/mo (450 min)
after a year - $1160 ($3.18 per day)
after 2 years - $2120 ($2.90 per day)
after 3 years - $3080 ($2.81 per day)
after 4 years - $4040 ($2.77 per day)

Of course, the iPhone 5 prices are based on current price points, so I'm guessing that they'd stay the same once the unlocked version comes out. I'm also guessing that ST will come out with a nano SIM at the same price point.

The way I figured it, add up the price of the phone with the plan, and then calculate the overall cost over a period of time. So, even though the device is cheaper with a contract carrier, it'll be way more expensive overall.

But for some reason, "unlocked" and "no contract" are sometimes confused - these are not the same thing.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Don't be stupid and DO NOT get T-Mobile either. A fool and his money is soon parted. Think about this for a minute. With T-Mobile you have to pay full price for the iPhone elsewhere and then T-Mobile will charge you $50 per month minimum for only 200MB - (yes that is far less than a 1GB). If you want more, you'll have to pay $60, $70 a month - this is the same price you'll get from the other carriers and you won't have to pay full phone price and you will get faster speeds.

T-Mobile has a $30 prepaid plan that includes 150 anytime minutes, with unlimited data and text. I never need that many phone minutes, so that's perfect for me.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
How does Straight Talk work for Voicemail?

It has traditional, dial in voicemail. Though if you're so inclined, you can use google voice to house and forward your number and then you'll not only get visual voice mail, but it translates it to text as well. I'm quite happy with the setup.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
T-Mobile has a $30 prepaid plan that includes 150 anytime minutes, with unlimited data and text. I never need that many phone minutes, so that's perfect for me.

Actually, it's 100 min. However, it's only $.10/min after 1st 100 so extra $5 for 50 min.:p

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It has traditional, dial in voicemail.
I understand that part, but do you get some kind of visual notification that you actually have a new voicemail or do you have to call to check after each time you have a missed call or after turning on your phone following a plane ride?

ibis99

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
I understand that part, but do you get some kind of visual notification that you actually have a new voicemail or do you have to call to check after each time you have a missed call or after turning on your phone following a plane ride?

I use a 4s on VM and IT HAS visual vm just like at$t and Verizon. In fact I've never had a problem with VM.

I'm excited to hear the 5 is coming as ill be the first to grab it and not look back.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
4S/4 prices haven't dropped

Thing that riles me is that the price on the iPhone 4/4S have not dropped at all on Virgin. I was waiting for the price drop to get a plan for my wife. But as it stands, the 4S has the same price as a same-spec 5. Wife doesn't need an iPhone 5, but I'm certainly not going to buy the older phone for the same price. Lack of a price drop also makes me consider staying with Sprint family plan we have now, where I can get a 4S for $99, much as I hate having the bloated bills - since family plan makes the cost difference smaller.

DrNot

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012

I bet you can't get this deal with an iPhone though.

I can get a T-Mobile Blackberry prepaid (gold rewards) $100 card that won't expire for a year. I believe it is only $1/day for internet access. But the problem is... the screen is way too small and the condensed format is far too ridiculous and primitive to use or to be of any benefit (now you know why berry is going down), and even if you don't use it everyday, the phone automatically check the internet everyday (I suppose to update itself or checks stuff out) - so you get charged for using the internet even when you didn't.

And never try arguing with the rep that you never used the net, they'll have the phone records of net access and the time and you can't prove it was the phone and not you.

----------

The price will probably drop if they are not selling or to clear inventory for the 5. Yep, I'm not paying full price for an obsolete phone.

Thing that riles me is that the price on the iPhone 4/4S have not dropped at all on Virgin. I was waiting for the price drop to get a plan for my wife. But as it stands, the 4S has the same price as a same-spec 5. Wife doesn't need an iPhone 5, but I'm certainly not going to buy the older phone for the same price. Lack of a price drop also makes me consider staying with Sprint family plan we have now, where I can get a 4S for $99, much as I hate having the bloated bills - since family plan makes the cost difference smaller.

----------

If its on Sprint's slow data network, then its not worth it.

You basically have to compare if $30 is justified as a savings plan or being taking for a fool at $70/month is better. While it is true that the $70 is part payment for the iPhone over 2 years - after two years you will still be paying for the phone.

This is like the best scam in the world - keep charging for a product that the customer has already paid for. Note: Companies are not your friends. They are here to milk you for every penny they can get. Guess who is laughing all the way to the bank with their million dollar bonuses?

Will220

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Way too much hate on VM

In the New York City suburb that I live in due to company cell phones our family cannot have a family plan so the siblings have VM smartphones. In our area, even on the iPhone, it is not slow AT ALL and in a speed test with a VM iPhone 4s and Verizon iPhone 5 on 4g (on youtube) did not embarrass the VM iPhone. We vacation all over and have not been disappointed anywhere...If this is true my day has been made...but it needs to happen very soon. like before the holidays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cUPj6j0lKI&feature=plcp

Last edited:

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I use a 4s on VM and IT HAS visual vm just like at$t and Verizon. In fact I've never had a problem with VM.

I'm excited to hear the 5 is coming as ill be the first to grab it and not look back.
Unfortunately, Virgin Mobile phones do not work outside the US. No international roaming and it is SIM locked, so no local cards, either. If I am paying full price for a phone, I want to have it full featured.

justinkaisse

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Unfortunately, Virgin Mobile phones do not work outside the US. No international roaming and it is SIM locked, so no local cards, either. If I am paying full price for a phone, I want to have it full featured.

OHhhhhhhh I feel the same way. Payin' a largish pile o' pe$os; and, ummm its neutered? Kick in the nethers.

BUT, hopefully, it will be one of these three models:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-lte-model/

The person writing it is of the opinion that the CDMA version will be the most compatible, outside of the US, of any of the phones.

Last edited:

glitzy

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
If I was to buy an Iphone 4s at Best Buy say today and The Iphone 5 comes out with in the 30 days, Could I return the 4s and get the 5?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Geez, it's been over 2 weeks since this story! I keep checking almost daily LOL

While Sprint's network is a lot more competent in my experience than AT&Ts, I'm still very skeptical compared to US Cellular (or Verizon even). BUT an iPhone 5 for $40-50/month + tax? It's getting REALLY hard to resist giving that a shot!

TruthSeeker7

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Truth

Call Apple. The VirginMobile post is a LIE. There are NO iPhone 5 phones set for VirginMobile. Just got off the phone with Apple and they have NO models ready for VirginMobile.

With that said, why cant we get around the carriers refusal to set up an iphone that is unlocked?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Call Apple. The VirginMobile post is a LIE. There are NO iPhone 5 phones set for VirginMobile. Just got off the phone with Apple and they have NO models ready for VirginMobile.

With that said, why cant we get around the carriers refusal to set up an iphone that is unlocked?

Umm...you realize you're just wasting someone at Apple's time by doing that, and raising the prices for everyone a little bit, right?

It makes absolutely zero sense to call them and ask. Regardless of what the reality is, they can't tell you, and a low level person isn't going to know anyway.

Of COURSE the 5 will come to Virgin if Virgin keeps carrying the iPhone-the only question is when.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
If you assume most iPhone users pay $75/month, a $30 plan would save them $45/month. That means the initial monetary outlay for the iPhone 5 would be made up in 14-18 months, depending on which model you buy. After that it's all money in the bank. You'd be a minimum of $270 ahead after two years.

Of course, this all assumes that the $30/month quote includes both voice and data. (Since iMessage came about, I don't think we need include texting in calculations anymore.)

My plan is $20 a month ahaha

----------

Oh and of course Apple is just going to tell random people about their future plans with rolling out phones? :rolleyes:

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
How does Straight Talk work for Voicemail?

Sorry for the late reply. When you press the voicemail tab on the iPhone, it automatically dials your voicemail number. So, it's old-school voicemail, but it's integrated with the phone's voicemail function.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Sorry for the late reply. When you press the voicemail tab on the iPhone, it automatically dials your voicemail number. So, it's old-school voicemail, but it's integrated with the phone's voicemail function.
Thanks for the reply. Do you get a visual notification, such as alert window popping up or the badge on phone app icon showing how may messages you got?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.