Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyMayneItsB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Behind the wheel of a VW
I recently bought a used AT&T iPhone 4 from a friend who upgraded to an iPhone 5, but before they boxed it up and shipped it to me they wiped it using an iTunes restore and, in the process, upgraded the phone to iOS 6.0.

Is it at all possible to downgrade to 5.1.1 without having been able to save the previous SHSH blobs? Is there any trace of them somewhere on my friend's computer from previous upgrades/restores (he never had it jailbroken and thus never had the SHSH blobs saved to the Cydia servers)? Can someone else's SHSH blobs be edited to be used for mine?

Or am I just completely SOL and stuck with iOS 6 locked to the AT&T network until a new jailbreaking method is discovered for iOS 6 (IF that happens at all)?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and advice,
~Brandon

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
That would make the need to save your blobs useless. If you can crack the 19-blob encryption, you should do ok. Sell the iPhone as factory unlocked and buy an older one on 5.1.1.

HeyMayneItsB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Behind the wheel of a VW
That would make the need to save your blobs useless. If you can crack the 19-blob encryption, you should do ok. Sell the iPhone as factory unlocked and buy an older one on 5.1.1.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. And the phone isn't factory (or otherwise) unlocked, it's locked to AT&T. I was just going to use it on Straight Talk, but I'd still like a jailbreak and unlock.

TheRealPorkchop

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Whiteville, NC
Yup, you're SOL and stuck there my friend. I did the same thing except my situation is little worse, I bought a 4S that was updated. Bad thing, it was previously jailbroke and the blobs were saved, you just can't downgrade a 4S once it receives iOS6.

So like the other poster stated, sell it and buy one that is on 5.1.1 if you don't like iOS6 and/or you wanna JB the phone. That's what I'm gonna have to do.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012

It's not good enough just to buy one that is still running 5.1.1. You need to make sure that the previous owner either saved the SHSH blobs and stored them locally on his computer while Apple was still signing 5.1.1 so he can email them to you, or, the previous owner at least jailbroke his phone and signed into Cydia at least once, in which case the blobs are safe and sound on their servers for you to fetch later on.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I only have the blobs that cydia has fetched for iOS 5.1.1
Can I downgrade my iPad 2 to this firmware if i choose to update?
I am currently on iOS 5.0.1 now and have no need at all to update to 5.1.1 just for the sake of updating. Downgrading to iOS 5.0.1 or later iOS5 versions will be just as satisfactory.

Cydia spesifically says:
SHSH: iOS 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1, 5.1.1

I do not believe I have other blobs than said blobs on my computer, I do think I have an external with said blobs, but only maybe other kinds of blobs than what cydia saves.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I only have the blobs that cydia has fetched for iOS 5.1.1
Can I downgrade my iPad 2 to this firmware if i choose to update?
I am currently on iOS 5.0.1 now and have no need at all to update to 5.1.1 just for the sake of updating. Downgrading to iOS 5.0.1 or later iOS5 versions will be just as satisfactory.

Cydia spesifically says:
SHSH: iOS 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1, 5.1.1

I do not believe I have other blobs than said blobs on my computer, I do think I have an external with said blobs, but only maybe other kinds of blobs than what cydia saves.

That means yes you can downgrade your ipad2 when the new redsn0w comes out.

Download TinyUmbrella
connect iPad
open TU
go to advanced tab, check request SHSH from cydia

now in the main tab hit save SHSH, it should now save locally the available blobs.

Look here for details on downgrading:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/31869383801/blob-o-riffic

@OP sorry your are SOL

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
That means yes you can downgrade your ipad2 when the new redsn0w comes out.

Download TinyUmbrella
connect iPad
open TU
go to advanced tab, check request SHSH from cydia

now in the main tab hit save SHSH, it should now save locally the available blobs.

Look here for details on downgrading:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/31869383801/blob-o-riffic

@OP sorry your are SOL

Thanks,
Good to know If I want to goof around with iOS6 :)
I wish us people with a Dev account could get the jailbreak as it exists now :(

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just call att and ask for the official unlock. Your friend can also call and request it.

idenRen

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I recently bought a used AT&T iPhone 4 from a friend who upgraded to an iPhone 5, but before they boxed it up and shipped it to me they wiped it using an iTunes restore and, in the process, upgraded the phone to iOS 6.0.

Can someone else's SHSH blobs be edited to be used for mine?

Or am I just completely SOL and stuck with iOS 6 locked to the AT&T network until a new jailbreaking method is discovered for iOS 6 (IF that happens at all)?

I'm in the same boat. Bought a 3GS on 6.0, and was wanting to revert back to IOS 5.1.1. Tried shift restore in itunes, even in DFU mode, still wont work.

Anyone know of any way to get out of IOS 6.0 an revert it ? Or guess I'll just be waiting out a new jailbreak release for 6.0 ?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I'm in the same boat. Bought a 3GS on 6.0, and was wanting to revert back to IOS 5.1.1. Tried shift restore in itunes, even in DFU mode, still wont work.

Anyone know of any way to get out of IOS 6.0 an revert it ? Or guess I'll just be waiting out a new jailbreak release for 6.0 ?

If you don't have bobs you're SOL

idenRen

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
If you don't have bobs you're SOL

Actually I'm not. After hitting up the Dev-Team I got their latest release of redsn0w - 0.9.15b2

Worked on my 3GS 6.0 to jailbreak it. But its tethered. I hate tethered JB's.

But at least it works.

Anyone interested can get it here:

Win: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b2.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Mac: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b2.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Is it at all possible to downgrade to 5.1.1 without having been able to save the previous SHSH blobs? Is there any trace of them somewhere on my friend's computer from previous upgrades/restores (he never had it jailbroken and thus never had the SHSH blobs saved to the Cydia servers)? Can someone else's SHSH blobs be edited to be used for mine?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and advice,
~Brandon

Jailbreak and unlocking at 2 different things.
Even if you could downgrade but you cant anyway you still couldnt unlock the iphone 4 on 5.1.1
Simple solution:
Go to ebay, purchase an imei unlock for $6-7.
A few hours later you're done, your iphone 4 would be forever unlocked and you dont need any Jailbreaks or hacks.
You're welcome.

Edit.
No, you dont need a JB or unlocking to use it on straightalk. They use AT&T's network.
Lots of false assumptions here by you.

necropunk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
London
Actually I'm not. After hitting up the Dev-Team I got their latest release of redsn0w - 0.9.15b2

Worked on my 3GS 6.0 to jailbreak it. But its tethered. I hate tethered JB's.

But at least it works.

Anyone interested can get it here:

Win: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b2.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Mac: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b2.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

How did you downgrade to 5.1.1?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
its possible, I did it the other day

just follow this guide http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/10/15/downgrade-pre-a5-devices-easily-with-redsn0w-0-9-15-b1/

you will have to fetch them remotely from cydia's servers which redsnw has can do

He said that his friend had never jail broken the phone and therefore his SHSH had never been saved in Cydia. How, pray, is he going to download SHSH blobs from a server that doesn't have his blobs? Seriously, read before you post.

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
It could be worth checking the cydia servers for shsh blobs because if the phone has been replace due to a fault it might have been jailbroken without them knowing.... This is very unlikely though.

I just remember I got my iPhone 4 replaced and was gutted to lose my jailbreak but when I checked the cydia servers it had all it shsh blobs because it was a refurbed phone and the previous owner had jailbroken it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

hermin20

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
hi;
i recently buy a new ipad with ios 5.1.1 firmware and i jailbreak it,but in first page of cydia programe only has shown shsh 6.0.1 ! and when i try to save the shsh 5.1.1 for my divice it's not be successful.
pls help me how can i save shsh 5.1.1 for my ipad?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
hi;
i recently buy a new ipad with ios 5.1.1 firmware and i jailbreak it,but in first page of cydia programe only has shown shsh 6.0.1 ! and when i try to save the shsh 5.1.1 for my divice it's not be successful.

You cannot.
It is too late, just like it is too late to save 6.0 hashes.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
hi;

Too late now like my friend said above.
The only way you would have saved 5.1.1 blobs was if you did that September 19 or earlier.
After that 6.0 came out and Apple stopped releasing 5.1.1 shsh blobs.

oakleym82

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Hey there, I'm trying to do the same thing because I really hate the new Maps.

I'm running iOS 6.0 on my iPhone 4 now (haven't upgraded to 6.0.1), and I want to run 5.X but I only have SHSH blobs for 4.3.5.

Can I downgrade to 4.3.5, jailbreak, and upgrade to an unsigned version of 5.X?

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Hey there, I'm trying to do the same thing because I really hate the new Maps.

I'm running iOS 6.0 on my iPhone 4 now (haven't upgraded to 6.0.1), and I want to run 5.X but I only have SHSH blobs for 4.3.5.

Can I downgrade to 4.3.5, jailbreak, and upgrade to an unsigned version of 5.X?

Not without the blob for the firmware you want to go to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.