Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

Had my iPhone 5 since launch day.

Last 3 days i have had a significant amount of 'call failed' calls.
Usually happens between the 3-10 minute period of a call.

It was bearable until today it hung up on a phone interview i had for a job.

Do i have a defective iPhone or is this happening to others?

Info:
- Provider: Telstra (highest performing Australian network)
- Connection at time of hang ups: Full 3G or 4-5 bars LTE
- Model: iPhone 5 Black 32GB

Thanks a lot :)

oh and i'm not 'holding it wrong' ;)

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Hi guys.

Had my iPhone 5 since launch day.

Last 3 days i have had a significant amount of 'call failed' calls.
Usually happens between the 3-10 minute period of a call.

It was bearable until today it hung up on a phone interview i had for a job.

Do i have a defective iPhone or is this happening to others?

Info:
- Provider: Telstra (highest performing Australian network)
- Connection at time of hang ups: Full 3G or 4-5 bars LTE
- Model: iPhone 5 Black 32GB

Thanks a lot :)

oh and i'm not 'holding it wrong' ;)

Not once have I had a call drop. 32gb white on Verizon. My call time is at 3 hours and 32 minutes

sluggozmom

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2011
Massachusetts
I've had some dropped calls.

I live in the sticks, and my commute is 50 miles each way.
I am used to the spots where my calls usually drop. (so many drops that AT&T gave me the 10 A-List numbers even though im only on the 700 minute plan)
I plan my calls accordingly.

Since I got my 5, I don't drop calls in those spots anymore... BUT, I was on a road with 4 bars in 4g and not only did the call drop, I couldn't reconnect...even though my phone said I had a signal. Very weird. Lasted about 5 minutes. I've had a couple more drops in some other unusual spots.

Time to re-map my calling areas.

AT&T 32gb perfect white iPhone 5 :D

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Have not had a call drop since getting the 5.

Now the iPhone 4.... I had 15 or so dropped calls one day before noon which then lead to some RAAAAAGE and me testing the flying capabilities of the phone.

Yes I felt better afterwards:p

The 4S was a little better, maybe 3-5/week.

missionman77

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
-BigMac-

I am having similar issues with my iPhone 5 so I am wondering if there are some defective ones out there? I received mine on launch day and 3 out of 5 calls that I've made so far have dropped.

My 4S (which never had dropped calls) was handed down to my Mother-in-law so I set the two next to each other (both on Sprint) and the 4S has full bars while the 5 has 1 bar. The 4S has a completely enclosed case while the 5 does not have a case so I would expect the signal to be impeded a little on the 4S, but its the opposite.

Provider: Sprint
Model: iPhone 5 64GB black

Dkrogh

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
I've had two dropped calls all while I'm driving. I live in Indianapolis and had full bars when they happened. My cousin is also having issues with his dropping calls as well.

My phone is white 16 gb Verizon, his is white 32 gb AT&T

johnflowery

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
You guys are lucky

I've had some 30 or so dropped calls since I got the thing on Saturday. Most of which are work calls. (Some unhappy clients.)

I used to have a ancient Nokia. It would drop a call in the exact same geography about once a fortnight.

Do you suppose Apple are reading this, or will the usual arrogance prevail.

John

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
My 4 would drop quite a few calls and frequently give me a "call failed" when I was dialing out. I haven't had 1 problem with my 5 yet. I know my wife had a few problems with her 4 also, and she hasn't mentioned any drops with the 5 yet. We are both on AT&T. I haven't tested the 2 known drop areas on my commute yet.

zinteger

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Big Mac - What was the result?

iPhone 5
64 Gb
Telstra - LTE / 3G

I have been simply not receiving calls. I will be be sitting with the phone beside me, full (or most) bars full, and I will suddenly get a text message saying that I missed a call.

I am not certain, but it seems to be since I put this "airjacket" cover:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200838586274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I will take it off the next few days to see.

Anyone else have similar problems?

vijswat

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
iphone 5 call drop.

hi i had the same problem but ifixed it.i was having a lot of call drop in the 2nd -3rd day.when i got my iphone 5 i filled it will all my photos ,miusic and application as i have them on my laptop.the apps which i filled up was creating the problem.there are some or may be one or two apps which run on the back ground and thats the reason why there are major call drops. just use ur iphone 5 or any iphone just with the basic apps like facebook /skype/whatsapp/viber/twitter/youtube/mycalender/map+/currency/amazon/bbcnews/cnn intl/data usage/teamviewer/iphotes/docstogo/keynotes/angry birds/infinity blade/asphalt7/zynga poker/uno/pac man/sudoku/chess free/aerox/lep's world/FLCommando/worldmate/bump/chaton/weather live.(these dont give problem)(i mean u could put what u have as these dont give problem and these what i have) and use ur iphone and offcourse ur music and pic and videos.u wont have a problem as i have done so.and whenever u put more apps moniter them.regards. i love my iphone 5.

Don Chirag

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I have had this problem as well call failed and it happened once when I was on the phone to my mate it said called failed, I am wondering if this is normal or a wide spread problem.

SCas

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Similar problems for me with iPhone5 in UK - 1) calls failing, and 2) missed call notifications despite no ringing. Very frustrating.

I had hoped 6.0.2 might have addressed this, especially when the problems seem widespread. But no, the problems are still here after the software update.

Has anyone had any word from Apple on this?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I get this when I first call someone. The call connects but it is silent and the timer is going so I know the call has been accepted. It doesn't happen always but it's annoying.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Definitely not normal. I haven't had a SINGLE dropped call on my iPhone 5 since I've gotten it (currently on 5.0.2, iPhone 5 AT&T, Black 64GB).

That said, I wouldn't blame the phone unless you have another, different model phone in the same area on the same network, that isn't having the same trouble.

Jonobigblind

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
I drop c.75-80% of my calls here in the UK on O2 though my iPhone 5. The situation hasn't really improved from the 4 I had before this one really.

I also drop other caller's sound on 100% of FaceTime calls within first five minutes then every two to three minutes upon redialing (only done on home Wifi network).

Conclusion - my iPhone is great for everything as long as I don't try to speak to people on it.

Missi

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Just got the 5 a few days ago. It's a great device, however, when LTE is on, my phone is constantly dropping calls. I went to Verizon and they replaced the SIM card to no avail. It works ok with 3G but that's not why I bought the phone. I'm pretty pissed about this issue. I called apple and they finally agreed to send me a new phone. Just curious how many others have had this problem ?and what ultimately resolved it?

MacMike10

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Try turning 3G off

Try turning 3G off (Go to Settings -> General -> Mobile Data -> Enable 3G and select off. My signal quality has been heaps better and I've had no dropped calls since turning 3G off. I'm quite annoyed about not being to use 3G - can't this be fixed with a software update? The problem is that the phone seems to hang on to 3G at the very edge of coverage and at all costs - even if it means dropping your call rather than handing you over back to 2G.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The iPhone 5 has poor signal strength compared to my old i4 on the same network. Recent Samsungs suffer from this too.
Are they all using the same, inferior, chipset?
It's one thing I'll be looking at come my next purchase. I'll read reviews of the phones before I buy one because a decent signal strength is one of the most important features of a phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The iPhone 5 has poor signal strength compared to my old i4 on the same network. Recent Samsungs suffer from this too.
Are they all using the same, inferior, chipset?
It's one thing I'll be looking at come my next purchase. I'll read reviews of the phones before I buy one because a decent signal strength is one of the most important features of a phone.

The iPhone 5 is hardly "recent." Neither is this thread, for that matter.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The iPhone 5 is hardly "recent." Neither is this thread, for that matter.

I didn't say that the iPhone 5 is recent, even though it is. Lots of people returned the Note 3 due to signal issues, and the S5 isn't much better. My i5 has a crap signal strength compared to the iPhone 4, and I presume that the 5S has the same cellular chipset? Are you saying that the 5S isn't a recent phone either?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.