Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomicbloke

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
iOS 6 maps is a failure. Steve Jobs would have never allowed such a terrible product to be released.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
*Apple store employee inspects Apple maps.*

"I'm sorry but we can't fix this, would you like to exchange it for Google Maps?"

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Does this mean we will now see select Apple retail employees wearing helmet-mounted cams in the vicinity of their Apple Store? Not likely. But still, this doesn't quite compete with Google's camera-equipped vehicles traversing the planet. I hope Apple also plans a substantially more comprehensive way to enhance the accuracy of their maps app.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Gee, I hope they're not relying on store drones to update the maps... surely something as important as maps require a more highly trained (and dedicated) employee.

However, employees are called "genius". :D

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
This.

I'm in little ole' England, pretty central too as it happens yet I'm still about an hour's drive from any Apple store, guess my maps won't be "fixed" by these Geniuses... :D

This is a combined effort, mostly for verification, rather than input.
Since millions of users are actively submitting data, verifying the changes is one huge task. For areas, where Apple Stores are located, the staff is usually hired locally, so they can not only input new data, but also verify whether submissions regarding local content are actually true, because it is possible that Google users will try to willfully submit false information to undermine new maps. Its called sabotage and we've already seen examples of such sabotage when Apple Maps were accused by droids of inability to show hundreds of Canadian townships when it turned out that most of these missing towns were actually farms and districts within cities (which were shown correctly).

Last edited:

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
yo! Apple. Why don't you stop being cheapos and spend some of that billions to actually hire thousands of people who's job is dedicating to fixing your maps. Get those people out on the streets, on foot, in cars, anything. That's how Google Maps got to the level of quality it is today.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
This is great for places with Apple Stores! Not-so-good for places without Apple Stores... It's been over a month since I reported a few fixes for my city (Recife, Brazil) and none of them have been applied. This crowdsourced thing isn't going so well for Apple Maps so far :\

Azazello007

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
exactly!

Why don't they just follow up with our error reports??

I personally submitted hundreds, since launch. Not a single one was corrected, some of them gaining bit publicity...

I had submitted corrections from day one but NONE were corrected.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I reported some errors weeks ago, they still haven't corrected them... how long will this take?

They can't trust every error report they get.

Reports will need to be verified and checked before they update the maps.

If 120 people in an area flag an error they are more likely to act on it.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
How difficult is it to just sit on a computer and using Google Maps to verify stuff?

I keep Reporting A Problem but nothing has actually changed yet. Pay me per location, I'll sort my area out in a week flat.

jasonbterry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
all in expectations...

it seems to me that people's disapproval of the new Apple Maps is only a testimony to how terrific their products are on average. Google maps was nowhere near what Apple Maps are now when it first launched... I, personally, expected that there would be errors/inaccuracies with this first roll-out, but i also expected/expect that 90% of that will get cleaned up pretty briskly. crowdsourcing the corrections will move things along quite well and all of this will be a thing of the past.
my personal experience with maps has been fabulous, actually. no problems at all. however, i did find my first major disappointment in the application a couple of days ago when i realized that exit numbers are not labeled on the map as you survey the interstate. Rand McNally has given us that since dirt and it seems a no-brainer... if you wanna blow my mind, Apple, let me see an indication of my current mile marker on a constant basis when i'm traveling on the interstate so that i can always know exactly what mile i am at instead of having to wait for one of those little green signs.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Mapping data should be provided by the countrys' government or a single organization that manages this. The funding comes from those who license the map data (eg. Apple, Google, Tom Tom, MapQuest, etc).

This way, when a store closes and a new one opens, the government updates the database, and boom - all services now have the updated maps.

The differentiating factor of each service could be things like POI reviews, photo gallery of the place, store hours, etc.

With millions of users using smart phones or maps with POI info, stores should willingly have one point of contact to say, we updated our hours. Once changes made, it reflects to those who pull the data for users to access.

I know this will never happen, but I hate using different maps and having data be different on each.

eldaria

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Sweden
Don't involve users, Engage them

Using Apple store employees won't make the coverage. I mean in Sweden there is only one as far as I know, and it just opened.
Many countries don't have an Apple store.

So here is an idea.
Apple should make a reward system, not a big money making sustem, but some kind of reward system.
Kind of like how Waze is doing it, but involve some real reward like winning iTunes gift cards.
For example, if I submit an update, depending on what type of update, if it is redrawing the map, or just adding, changing or removing a POI, it gives different amount of points.
Some kind of verification system should be in place, so for example adding a POI should have to be done by a certain amount of independent people, and perhaps verified by trusty people who check Yellow pages or similar.
When you get to a certain amount of points you get a status of some kind, perhaps a moderator status and perhaps you get the right to participate in a lottery or similar for iTunes or Apples store gift cards if you are participating.

Make it available for all countries, and you will see people doing this not by chance but to actually get rewards and recognition.

It would be a low cost for Apple, easy for users, and Apple would get a massive influx of data.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
You can't blame them for trying. I know its not perfect now but it'll keep improving and I haven't had any problems yet with it.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Mobile Me?
Ping?
Siri?
Lion?

...Final Cut "Pro" X?

So Apple Store Drones will roam the neighborhoods? Hope their editions get better priority over the user submissions, because those seem to be thrown in the trash or sent into outer space. When they're done we will all move near an Apple Store and all of our problems with Maps will be solved.

Make a ****ing tool Apple - how hard can it be?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Using Apple store employees won't make the coverage. I mean in Sweden there is only one as far as I know, and it just opened.
Many countries don't have an Apple store.

So here is an idea.
Apple should make a reward system, not a big money making sustem, but some kind of reward system.
Kind of like how Waze is doing it, but involve some real reward like winning iTunes gift cards.
For example, if I submit an update, depending on what type of update, if it is redrawing the map, or just adding, changing or removing a POI, it gives different amount of points.
Some kind of verification system should be in place, so for example adding a POI should have to be done by a certain amount of independent people, and perhaps verified by trusty people who check Yellow pages or similar.
When you get to a certain amount of points you get a status of some kind, perhaps a moderator status and perhaps you get the right to participate in a lottery or similar for iTunes or Apples store gift cards if you are participating.

Make it available for all countries, and you will see people doing this not by chance but to actually get rewards and recognition.

It would be a low cost for Apple, easy for users, and Apple would get a massive influx of data.

I do like this idea.

However, the "fix the maps yourselves" attitude is not right for a company who have just charged you £529 for a phone.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
True. When Google touts its huge team working on its own maps, do people assume they each have a Ph.D. in digital cartography? Many of them just need a drivers license.

Indeed. As well, it's not going to be every single employee. If it's saying "select employees" that could easily mean ones with a higher technical proficiency than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.