Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/pew-research-center-tablet-ownership-report/

pew-infographic.png

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that more Americans than ever now own tablets, but if you'd ever wanted some quantifiable data to go along with that homespun wisdom, then the Pew Research Center is glad to help. According to its latest report, 22 percent of US adults now own a tablet of some form. While the iPad remains the dominant player in the space with a 52 percent market share, this figure starkly contrasts the 81 percent share that Pew reported in 2011. As you might expect, Android tablets have made significant inroads and now account for 48 percent of the overall tablet space. Leading the Android charge is the Kindle Fire, which alone accounts for 21 percent of all tablets sold. It's worth pointing out that Pew's survey was conducted before the release of either the Nexus 7 or the Kindle Fire HD, which means that even the most recent information is a bit behind the curve.

Ipad USA 2012: 52% share
Kindle Fire USA 2012: 21% share
other Android: 27% share

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
This shows an incomplete story.

They should have graphed the growth in predicted actual numbers of each users over the past 5 years.

That would not show iPad users abandoning their device, it would show that the number of iPad users grew by 20% in the last year. But it would also show the number of android users went from near zero to a number comparable to the current iPad users.

Produce a bunch of cheap tablets, and you attract a lot of users who were not interested in the product a the price that Apple had established.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

They should have graphed the growth in predicted actual numbers of each users over the past 5 years.

That would not show iPad users abandoning their device, it would show that the number of iPad users grew by 20% in the last year. But it would also show the number of android users went from near zero to a number comparable to the current iPad users.

Produce a bunch of cheap tablets, and you attract a lot of users who were not interested in the product a the price that Apple had established.

Yeah I gotta agree with that but it is impressive that Amazon can snag 21% market share in the first year of the Kindle Fire.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012

Is it an "incomplete story" or is it just a story that has an ending that you approve of?

This is exactly why i hate statistics and charts. IF you have an agenda then you can always prove your point by skewing data by introducing factors that include or eliminate factors that create the results that make the best headline. Say something like "Tablets priced $399 and up" and suddenly its overwhelmingly Apple's game, say something like "Tablets sized 9" and lower" and now Apple is eliminated entirely.

Headlines are made by doing this nonsense all the time and theres always a reaction from fans who "want" a result and reject any others that dont fit what they want that result to be.

That said, I dont care about 2012 because this is Apples year. BUT I think 2013 will be the interesting year because with surface, amazon, splintering the iPad line and the dozens of Android manufacturers catching up to the tablet scene then there are so many interesting tablets coming out and it's going to be a difficult choice for consumers.

----------

Yeah I gotta agree with that but it is impressive that Amazon can snag 21% market share in the first year of the Kindle Fire.
Do they include the standard Kindle as a tablet? And if not, what constitutes a "tablet" because some Kindles do go online for web etc. And what about something like the Galaxy Note? Or the touchscreen Playstation vita?

Again, all this data is inaccurate because the line between tablet and phone and large electronic rectangle is so blurred that you can say that a kids LeapFrog LeapPad is a tablet and suddenly theres a major player trying to take down Apple.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I wonder if these charts ever include the used market, people who got theirs second hand i.e. craigslist when it comes to the ipad particularly.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I wonder if these charts ever include the used market, people who got theirs second hand i.e. craigslist when it comes to the ipad particularly.

It's a survey from Pew Research. So if the owner of a used Ipad got asked, it would count.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/pew-research-center-tablet-ownership-report/

Then click on the Press Release.

according to a new, detailed survey of news use on mobile devices conducted by the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ) in collaboration with The Economist Group.

The study is based on a survey conducted from June 29 to August 8 among 9,513 adults including 4,638 mobile device owners.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Why do people buy the Kindle Fire? Its the laggiest POS I have used. Got one for Xmas last year and havent touched it since.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
does the market share account for the number of iPad 3's exchanged due to screen issues, or did they do the responsible thing and subtract those out? i guess that responsibility would fall on Apple in reporting those numbers

----------

Why do people buy the Kindle Fire? Its the laggiest POS I have used. Got one for Xmas last year and havent touched it since.

the software update in January fixed everything and the Amazon App Marketplace expanded to include all or most of the most popular Android apps.

the Kindle Fire (1st gen) right now runs very smoothly

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010

Not everyone can afford $400 for a tablet. Some just want a basic device and less than $200 makes sense for many.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Do they include the standard Kindle as a tablet?
They are referring to just the Kindle Fire (android).

----------

If you don't have any need for the Amazon ecosystem then yes I agree but if you're like me that buys tons of ***** from Amazon then it's a solid device. The Kindle Fire is to Amazon what iTunes is to the Mac and iDevices. ;)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
While I can't argue with their statistics, it is only once source really. And while anecdotal experience is by no way testing something by the scientific method, I would strongly disagree that ~50% of the tablets I see are non-iPad. It's more like ~20% in my experience. Maybe 8/10 tablets I see are iPads and 2/10 are other.

Again, while I don't have any data other than my own non-scientific observations, they seem off.

I didn't RTFA, but are they lumping the Linux-running Kindle and Nook e-readers in to this bunch? I almost never see an Android tablet outside of the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 (and that only very recently obviously). I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung Tab in the wild and I can only recall seeing two Motorolas in public.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Is it an "incomplete story" or is it just a story that has an ending that you approve of?
I would say it is an incomplete story, because the graphic provides a slanted picture. Showing percentage of the population, but not showing how that population has grown creates an impression to the casual reader that Apple has lost some of their user base.

The strange thing is that the press release doesn't really discuss the graphic, leaving the reader to reach his own conclusions without sufficient data.

I have no issue with Android taking such a large share of the user base. Competition spurs innovation. Without Android's sniffing on Apple's heels, we would be stuck with Ipad1, low resolution screens, and IOS4.

Maybe if Android wins a bit more of the marketshare, Apple will start feeling a bit more paranoid and be a bit more innovative as they push IOS7 out. I would love to see split screen, side-by-side multitasking of separate apps on an ipad; it would change a media consumption device into a useful working platform. Yeah, I know, never happen... but throwing a spreadsheet and notepad or email reader and calendar side by side...

Last edited:

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Amazon claimed a 22% tablet market share back in early September

http://paidcontent.org/2012/08/30/amazon-says-kindle-fire-makes-up-22-of-u-s-tablet-sales/

More surprising is Amazon’s claim that “in just nine months, Kindle Fire has captured 22 percent of tablet sales in the U.S

Amazon has never released an actual Kindle Fire sales number, so the 22 percent figure constitutes an unusual disclosure for the company. Even so, we don’t know how large Amazon thinks the entire U.S. tablet market is. I asked the company but don’t expect to get a number in response. Mashable suggests Amazon is going by this recent estimate from consulting firm Frank N. Magid.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Will the $329 price for the Ipad Mini (16GB) help Apple market share?

The fight for tablet market share is on:

Apple
Amazon
Google
Microsoft
Samsung
Barnes & Noble

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.