Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I've had my phone for a few days now with no issues, every night I have my (almost totally) charged phone on my nightstand, and it wakes me up with an alarm

This morning I woke up to my other alarms and saw that my phone battery was dead. I charged it in the car on the way to work and it was charging slowly and running pretty hot - was doing nothing with it. At work here I've been charging it most of the day and it is barely charging. Off the charger the battery is draining quite fast. I rebooted it but doesn't seem to have helped

I had an issue like this with old betas of iOS 5 on my 3G, when it would be sending tons of iMessage data for no reason and stuff like that. I don't have a big spike in network data traffic..

What's going on here? I'm mostly concerned with the overnight battery death. I was at least 80% battery when I went to sleep. Was on the home screen too

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Seems like one or more processes are stuck in a loop draining your battery and making the phone run hot because its processor is running at 100% constantly.

Try a hard reset by pressing the home and sleep/wake button simultaneously until the apple logo appears and then let go.

If that doesn't help do a restore. If that doesn't help call Apple.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
When at a very low state the battery will pull in more juice because of the iPhone's fast charge feature (80% in roughly an hour). That heats the unit up, I've noticed my 4s gets warmer when charging from under 20% than if i topped off a 60% charge.

As for the battery discharging so quickly, check the usage in settings, if its ridiculously low...apple store.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Good thinking on the hard reset, I'll try that

Yes I experience the hot 20% charge but this is hot from discharging

I just had a 23% charge and put my phone in my pocket and went to a meeting, less than 90 minutes and my phone is dead and still very warm.

I'm in an area where I get good 3 bar LTE and/or 4G coverage too

This all just started last night. I fooled with the iCloud settings a little bit because reminders weren't always syncing to my phone. I wonder if there's some endless iCloud sync attempt going on

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Yesterday later afternoon and all evening, things were totally normal. Went to sleep with 98% battery. Woke up 6 hours later with a dead phone. No real bump to data usage or anything like that

Is anyone experiencing something like this??

It feels ridiculous to restore my phone to try to address the issue. Is that really going to help?

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Just woke up and was losing a percentage every few minutes after full charge (I've calibrated, restored as new, full charged while off).

So when I was st 96% I did a hard reset and when it turns back on it was at 100%.

Seems iOS software related to me.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Just woke up and was losing a percentage every few minutes after full charge (I've calibrated, restored as new, full charged while off).

So when I was st 96% I did a hard reset and when it turns back on it was at 100%.

Seems iOS software related to me.

Unfortunately this isn't the battery reporting (it was truly dead, after charging for an hour now I'm at 23%), hard reset still reports same % and my phone is warm from charging

I'm assuming it's iOS software issues but I am troubled that nobody else is having a similar issue

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I don't know what your conditions are but a common thing to happen once in a while is if you leave the phone in a place where it just barely gets signal it keeps searching for signal and keeps going in and out back and forth between searching and signal which drains the battery dramatically.

If you are in a low reception area this could be the culprit but if you have strong reception then no.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Mine got really hot and drained the battery really fast after using the Siri turn by turn navigation for the first time ever for a little bit (forgot to end it? Not sure). I just killed all apps running and turned it off.

It did not get hot again after doing all sort of tests to see if it will happen again. Everything looks normal up to now (maybe I need all the tricks to extend the battery life).

In my almost two years of owning iP4 - it happened once and almost everything is too perfect for me.

I know not related to OP or am useless, can't help.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I know this was mentioned but did you check to see what was running? I think something could be running that is totally draining your battery. Other than that I would hit and apple store because I do think it is a software issue and maybe they can help.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for all the info and thoughts on the problem

Last night I gave it a good charge, while charging I did a iCloud backup (I thought maybe this was the issue. Although it shouldn't have been doing one unplugged.) which took about 5 seconds, probably wasn't related. Anyway, I woke up and the phone had ~95% charge, just as I would expect, no issues at all.

HOWEVER I didn't wake up to my alarm, because I hadn't set the alarms.

Now I'm wondering if the battery drain was due to the alarms being set? I'll have to experiment with it

Zedbee

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I had a similar issue today. Only had my new phone 3 days and this morning used the alarm. I'd set a song to go off for the alarm. Pressed Sleep a couple of times, when I got up my phone was incredibly hot and battery was just 16% when it was about 60% when I'd gone to bed. The battery drained at an incredible speed and I had a warning message on my phone that it was too hot. Put it in the fridge(!) and phone turned off. After a couple of min it was cool again so put it on charge. Phone restarted with 6% battery but after I put the pin in it went down to 3% then off, this was whilst it was on charge! This happened a couple of times and after reading this thread I tried hard restart shortcut but just switched off. Then when I got it on next time went to settings and reset there. It's now erased data but I can't get back through the set up process as again whilst it is on charge it gets to about 6-8% battery then loses charge again, so now have a blank iPhone that won't charge :-(

azzyb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I am having the exact same problems as the OP. This problem started last week. I go to bed every night with my phone fully charged and three mornings in a row I woke up to a dead phone. Same scenario where I was charging my phone in the car. Phone is very hot when I charge it.
At first I thought the problem could be my USB cable - I was using one I bought on the street as it was 3 feet long and more convenient than the standard Apple cable.
I tried to reset it and so last night I went to bed with it fully charged, and woke up to a 60% battery. Note: This was within a span of three hours.
Did restoring your phone work?

Irsharoxz

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I had little bit same problem..
I mean i put my phone to charge fully and after removing i go to sleep.. When i see my phone in morning my charge percentage at less than 70 .. What is the issue with this.. Pls some one help me pls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.