Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has learned that at least one Fortune 500 company is requesting that its employees not upgrade to iOS 6 over a bug with Microsoft Exchange meeting invitations. The issue has also been reported on Apple's support discussion boards.

The issue appears when users decline a meeting invitation from an iOS 6 device. Instead of simply sending a notification to the meeting organizer that the user will not attend, iOS 6 is sending meeting cancellation notices to the entire distribution list, effectively canceling the invitation for all attendees.

NewImage8.png

We received this memo that was sent out to all employees at a very large company:
Information Technology Notice

To: Mobile device users who connect personal Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) with company email.

What: On September 27, IT notified you of an intermittent issue caused when calendar appointments are declined from devices running the latest Apple operating system (iOS 6). Apple and Microsoft are providing IT with daily updates on their progress toward a resolution.

Impact: When appointments are declined from an Apple mobile device running iOS 6, a cancellation is sometimes sent to all meeting attendees instead of sending a decline notice to the meeting organizer.

Action to take: Do not upgrade your Apple mobile device to iOS 6. If you have an iPhone 5 or have already upgraded a device to iOS 6, please do not accept or decline calendar appointments from your Apple device until further notice.
Affected companies have notified both Apple and Microsoft, but there does not appear to be a public timeline for a resolution. iOS 6 users have reportedly been affected by another issue with Exchange, this time affecting push delivery of emails.

Article Link: Fortune 500 Company Urging Employees Not to Upgrade to iOS 6 Over Exchange Bug

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I may do this for kicks/giggles. I think people would actually thank me...

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
who the hell still uses exchange Jeeps! :eek:

pls join the 21st century

it's not 1995 anymore

vkramer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
If I could I would urge people never to touch Microsoft Exchange due to the fact that admins have the ability to wipe your phone with one click and no permission.

What a buncha ******** that is...

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Apple: Improving productivity worldwide. :)

Joking aside one has to wonder sometimes who tests software updates at Apple.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Not to mention meetings you have already accepted or declined on your computer still come to your calendar. That happened in iOS 5 but at least you could delete the notifications. you can't do that in IOS6 without accepting or declining them again. PITA.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
If I could I would urge people never to touch Microsoft Exchange due to the fact that admins have the ability to wipe your phone with one click and no permission.

What a buncha ******** that is...

If you hook up your private phone to your companies then its your problem and not the admins. If they do that to your work phone, then again, not your issue.

You clearly never worked for a corporate.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I would hope a company of these sizes would not be recommending any x.0 software updates.

Exactly. If it has to work, you stay with known stable releases. I give people similar advice when they use their notebooks and desktops for work.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
wow spend $$$ on QA engineer

QA going down the hill ...

Apple is not spending the money where it is needed;

2 million dollars to Bob? a month?

History repeats itself, apple is becoming too big; things like this starts.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Or

Why is there no "Software Update" section in Settings/General/Restrictions ?

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
"...effectively canceling the invitation for all attendees".

It sounds like the issue is just that all attendees are notified your cancellation. I doubt one attendee decline would cancel the meeting for all.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
who the hell still uses exchange Jeeps! :eek:

pls join the 21st century

it's not 1995 anymore

Please point me in the direction of a better alternative. Thats right, there is none. There isn't anything close to the level of control, syncing, and versatility of exchange and active directory. These things work great when implemented properly. There are just a lot of IT people who lock them down improperly or go overboard with restrictions, or just plain set up things wrong. Its not hard to implement them properly. Its just that a lot of IT people from the big IT rush in the late 90's/early 2000's that only pursued it because it was the new cash in job have no idea what they're doing. People from that same time that actually understand and have a passion for computers can do a much better job, but they seem outnumbered by huge numbers of incompetant IT people.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
"...effectively canceling the invitation for all attendees".

It sounds like the issue is just that all attendees are notified your cancellation. I doubt one attendee decline would cancel the meeting for all.
And, if it did cancel the meeting for everyone when one person declined, that sounds like an Exchange bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.