Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hey guys my Early 2011 MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of ram froze for the second time. I have no idea what is causing it but I do know is that these two freezes have only happened since I installed Mountain Lion. I was able to take a snapshot of my console when the froze began and the picture just continues in the console for a while. I've heard of other people having this problem(on apple communities) but no answers. Please Help!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 9.15.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 9.15.40 PM.png
    271.3 KB · Views: 179

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012

I tried holding down "d" for the hardware test and it didn't not work. Then I tried holding option and "d" and I got a window called Internet Recovery. I tried entering in my network's name and password and it didn't work. I tried three times until it froze and I had to shut down my Mac.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
It turns out I can't do the hardware test because it may be a disk that I threw away. But, even if I didn't get any disks with my computer, holding they D key doesn't do anything and when I hold down Option + D I get the Internet Recovery window and it doesn't except my network name and password. So does anyone no about this freeze im getting and how to fix it?

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Hey guys my Early 2011 MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of ram froze for the second time. I have no idea what is causing it but I do know is that these two freezes have only happened since I installed Mountain Lion. I was able to take a snapshot of my console when the froze began and the picture just continues in the console for a while. I've heard of other people having this problem(on apple communities) but no answers. Please Help!

Thanks

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 update! Hopefully this fixes the freezing issue!

i have been experiencing the same freeze issue as you since 10.8.0.

i upgraded the ram and hdd myself.

i know its the same freeze issue because me and many others have posted the same logs as you detailing the exact same information.

i have rarely experienced it since 10.8.1 though.

i doubt 10.8.2 fixes it, but i hope atleast it makes it occur even more rarely.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012

i upgraded the ram and hdd myself.

i know its the same freeze issue because me and many others have posted the same logs as you detailing the exact same information.

i have rarely experienced it since 10.8.1 though.

i doubt 10.8.2 fixes it, but i hope atleast it makes it occur even more rarely.
Yes I got it after I installed Mountain Lion. I've only had it happen twice though and the second time was a while after the first. So what model Mac do you have?

ParryD

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Hey guys my Early 2011 MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of ram froze for the second time. I have no idea what is causing it but I do know is that these two freezes have only happened since I installed Mountain Lion.

Same here guys. Using MBP 13" (Late 2011) bought in June 2012 with Lion 10.7.3. Upgraded to 10.7.4 and everything was smooth & perfect.

Since the time I have upgraded to ML 10.8 > 10.8.1 > 10.8.2; have experienced freeze thrice with nothing moving except the mouse.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Same here guys. Using MBP 13" (Late 2011) bought in June 2012 with Lion 10.7.3. Upgraded to 10.7.4 and everything was smooth & perfect.

Since the time I have upgraded to ML 10.8 > 10.8.1 > 10.8.2; have experienced freeze thrice with nothing moving except the mouse.

Cross my fingers and knock on wood, I've only had one freeze, documented in the 10.8.2 experiences thread.

So you don't have to dig through such a long thread for all the details, I'll mention here that I'm running 10.8.2 on a late 2011 15.4 in hires antiglare MBP with 16 GB of Centon RAM.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
been having freezes since mountain lion upgrade tested ram all checks ok , its a early 2009 macbook

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
MacBook Pro froze for the 2nd time!
Update the Adobe Flash Player plugin to the latest version (or disable the plugin in your web browser) and disable the automatic graphics card switching (via System Preferences or via gfxCardStatus). Older versions of the Flash Player (and probably older versions of Google Chrome and other apps) are incompatible with the automatic graphics card switching.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
been having freezes since mountain lion upgrade tested ram all checks ok , its a early 2009 macbook

Yeah, I think it may be the graphics card.

----------

Update the Adobe Flash Player plugin to the latest version (or disable the plugin in your web browser) and disable the automatic graphics card switching (via System Preferences or via gfxCardStatus). Older versions of the Flash Player (and probably older versions of Google Chrome and other apps) are incompatible with the automatic graphics card switching.

Would I need this for my Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
All The Best!

Ok, what's your best way out of a freeze? Power Button?

I don't get them very often. To me a freeze occurs when I'm ready for my Mac to do something and it is not. If I can pick restart I do. If I get tired of waiting, I hold the power button. It was a lot faster with the hybrid SSD in my Macbook. I could come back from a reboot in under 20 seconds. Even at 7200 RPM, my MBP can take over 30 seconds to reboot. One of these days, I'll either put in an SSD or I'll put in a hybrid SSD so I get my fast boot times back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.