Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Been a iphone user forever since the first iphone came out. Had every one of them including iphone5.

Obviously love everything about iPhone and iOS. But finally pulled the plug yesterday when i went with a different provider. Ordered the Samsung galaxy 3.

Main reason - kinda of bored with iOS and iphone. Want to try something new. So far i know nothing about android..but anxiously waiting for the phone to arrive..don't know how i'll feel..might lov it or hate it..

will let you know once i get it.
Has anyone switched from apple to android? any comments? feedback?

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
You're gonna love it! Amazing device it is.

Ideally you would own both an Android and iOS device. ...and why not a Windows Phone 7+ as well.

Then you have access to all major platforms.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I tried the s3 and the nexus. I think they are both great "stand alone devices", but since I have an apple ecosystem the iphone is the way to go. The best way to describe a situation where it really came into play.....

I brought my appletv over to my GF's house but left the remote. If I had my iphone I could use the remote app and all would be well. I had the s3 at the time, so we were left with a hockey puck looking device that we could not watch. I tried all of the remotes on the google play store and none worked.

Also, syncing everything between my mac is much easier and with IOS6 that ecosystem got much, much better. If I was to have a phone and use it as just a phone, the nexus (whenever the new one comes) would be my choice. Jellybean is really smooth and google now is great.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
You'll come crawling back more than likely. The S3 is a phenomenal device, but it lacks the polish and sophistication of the iPhone 5. And if you're syncing content from a Mac, it's a total mess.

And this belongs in the "Alternatives to iOS" section.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Been a iphone user forever since the first iphone came out. Had every one of them including iphone5.

Obviously love everything about iPhone and iOS. But finally pulled the plug yesterday when i went with a different provider. Ordered the Samsung galaxy 3.

Main reason - kinda of bored with iOS and iphone. Want to try something new. So far i know nothing about android..but anxiously waiting for the phone to arrive..don't know how i'll feel..might lov it or hate it..

to get the best user experience, you will want to unlock it, flash a custom rom, and a custom kernel.

xda-developers, or rootzwiki are the best android sites.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

dont worry , you wiill come back to iPhone in the future. Youll be frustrated with android OS. I am selling my s3 because it is so sluggish, too much apps running in the backgroud without opening them, i used advance task killer but it does not work well. It kills certain apps and the apps rerun by itself without opening it. The battery life sucks, charge the whole night, woke up at 8 and the batt is around 30 percent by 2pm. Plus the OS looks cheap. Compare your IOS instagram and Android one, or path, FACEBOOK, etc. you'll see. Youll be frustrated with os update too. ICS is a year old and ICS is still running on what people claim " latest and greatest android phone s3" where the hell are the update? so fragmented. GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You'll come crawling back more than likely. The S3 is a phenomenal device, but it lacks the polish and sophistication of the iPhone 5. And if you're syncing content from a Mac, it's a total mess

I second this. I took the iPhone 4 back in 2010 and got a Droid X because I was having issues with the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4 and my cheek was constantly hanging up on people or conferencing other people in.

I had the Droid X for one year and two months. During that time, I upgraded the device from Froyo (2.2) to Gingerbread (2.3). The OS upgrade itself went fine. It was the waiting for Verizon to push the update that was terrible. That's one of the things that was really annoying about Android. You buy the latest and greatest phone and two or three months later, it has become a dinosaur in terms of updates. Your days of getting an OS upgrade the day it's released by the vendor (Google) are over, my friend.

And, God help you if you have to wipe the device and reload your data. I did that on the advice of Verizon twice because my Droid X would randomly start rebooting during phone calls and becoming generally sluggish after two to three months of use. I don't know if it's still the case now, but a year ago, I had to have three separate apps from the Android Market (aka Google Play store now) to back up my app settings, general device settings, text messages, and call history. If you ever have to wipe your device and reload everything, I suspect you'll be missing the relative seamlessness of iCloud and iTunes backups and restores just like I was.

Finally, this time last year, I wised up, sold the Droid X on eBay, and bought a used iPhone 4. I just sold that iPhone 4 on eBay the other day because I upgraded to the iPhone 5. Sure, the Maps issue with iOS 6 is a big problem; but I'm going to wait it out, use third party apps in the meantime, and know that when iOS 6.1 comes out, I will get it the same day as everyone else and not have to wait weeks or months to get an OS update like I'd have to with an Android handset.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I bought an S3 too and promptly returned it. Hated the screen. the size was fine but the AMOLED color quality is just crap. pentile matrix is noticeable. not anywhere close to being as sharp as the retina. Hope it goes well for you.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010

Went iPhone 4 to MyTouch 4g back to iPhone 4. Android was fine, just wasn't my cup of tea. Sure, the OS had a lot more "features", but they were things I never really used. For example, I thought the widgets would be awesome, but for the ones I used, I never could get all the info I wanted from the widget by itself -- always had to actually open the apps running behind them. This essentially made them huge animated app icons.

Same as you, I was bored with iOS. Android made me appreciate it more. Android can be a great OS, that's for sure, but only for certain types of people (same case with iOS). I'd say Android is better suited for those who have the time and motivation to take advantage of a more open and customizable OS. Unless you actually want to invest time and effort making Android work great for you, you probably won't enjoy it much -- out of the box, it was very underwhelming to me.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You'll be back

I agree. I pulled the same nonsense. Went from the iPhone 4 to the Razr Maxx. Sure it has LTE, but what a pain. Did not integrate well with my other Apple products. LTE antenna on Razr was average at best. Would lose LTE in my house at times, but so far the iPhone 5 has been rock solid. Battery life better on maxx, but iPhone 5 is no slouch. Had the razr maxx for 7 months, a few months too many. Glad I am back with Apple.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Choice is good. Try it and you may really love it.
Android is capable of doing much more in the hands of an end user, but unless you the type of person that likes root'ing a phone and trying different kernels and hacks most people dont see this advantage.
After trying both and understanding the limitations of iOS I still prefer iPhones.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Choice is good. Try it and you may really love it.
Android is capable of doing much more in the hands of an end user, but unless you the type of person that likes root'ing a phone and trying different kernels and hacks most people dont see this advantage.
After trying both and understanding the limitations of iOS I still prefer iPhones.

Much more than what dude? What is this "more" people keep referring to with Android phones? I've used it and there wasn't anything more it could do than my iPhone. In fact in a lot of cases it didn't do the things that work really well on the iPhone.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Much more than what dude? What is this "more" people keep referring to with Android phones? I've used it and there wasn't anything more it could do than my iPhone. In fact in a lot of cases it didn't do the things that work really well on the iPhone.

Well, you know, you can bump the phones to transfer pictures. :D
That ad cracks me up. That's the best Samsung can do to claim it is better than the iPhone 5?

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I own the S3 in addition to the iPhone 5. I use the SIII occasional, but when it comes to a go-to device, I always choose my iPhone 5. I love iCloud and the Apple ecosystem that I have with my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro. However, if I didn't have those then maybe I'd go with the SIII more, not sure

adamj575

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
I, like you, became tired of ios. I swapped to the galaxy nexus as soon as it came out. At first it was cool, but then after a while i realized how much it sucked (imo) compared to my iphone 4. Upgraded to a 4s. After a while it got boring too. This time instead of swapping platforms I jailbroke it, which I will do from now on as soon as an untethered jailbreak is available. Then knowning the iphone 5 was still 6 months away I again fell for the hype that was the S3. Same story all over again. I loved it at first but after using it a while I noticed some buggyness (this was partly my fault for rooting and installing custom roms) and some slowdown and overall everything was more complicated than an iphone. When the iphone 5 came out I switched back to it and could not be happier that I did. I have learned my lesson and if I feel the need to play around with android again ill get out my nexus 7, which for now is stuck in a drawer and never used - it does not come close to my ipad, and I am contemplating selling it and either getting a macbook air 11" or possible an ipad mini when it is revealed.....sorry for the long post but thats my story...lol

daviddcmd

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010

Stick with it. You won't like it at first but you'll appreciate it once you get comfortable.

Download and learn Tasker. You can program the phone to do certain tasks in the background. Mine mutes the speaker and dims the screen at night. Turns off WiFi when I leave home.

You can change the look of the phone anytime you want. It's really fast.

There's so much you can do with this phone.

I was a long term Iphone user but glad I made the switch.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Does that cost a lot of money?
to buy a phone every year and then one right after the iP5?

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Does that cost a lot of money?
to buy a phone every year and then one right after the iP5?

In my case, i'm returning the iphone 5. With my new contract, i'm getting 2 phones..oen for my wife..the iphone5 and the galaxy s3 for myself..

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

I have to agree. Actually, the iPhone can do more IMHO due to the fact that there is an app for just about everything. Android is getting there app wise but you still have a few apps here and there that you can't get on Android or don't have the same experience.

The other kicker for me is that it has been known for a while that Samsung is a copier not an innovator. Why would someone want to buy the copy versus going with the original innovator?

It's been said before but let's discuss OS updates one last time. For Android, the newest OS is Jellybean. How many phones new/old do you think are currently running this new OS? Not that many. To make matters worse, how many phones released this year or last year that will get the new OS? Not that many. Why? Because the carriers use this as leverage to get you to buy a new phone. You are literally rolling the dice when you pick Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the various carriers when it comes to phone support/updates.

The other major pain that I'm surprised noone else has mentioned is piss poor battery life. Did you know that to get decent battery life you will end up disabling a lot of features (Live Wallpapers, widgets, and others) just to get your phone to last throughout the day? You better invest in charging cables, extra batteries, and a backpack to carry them in.

Forced Close Messages.....Get use to that as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Made the same mistake as you. It's such a bad decision...thank God the AT&T store was:

A. Friendly about the matter of returning it.
B. Had iPhone 5's in stock.

I hope you score one easily when you go back in looking to return that Galaxy S III. :rolleyes:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
You'll come crawling back more than likely. The S3 is a phenomenal device, but it lacks the polish and sophistication of the iPhone 5. And if you're syncing content from a Mac, it's a total mess.

And this belongs in the "Alternatives to iOS" section.

What's sophisticated about getting lost? Just curious?

Also if he has a gmail account syncing content is a non issue. If he wants his iTunes library on his phone download the google music app and it uploads them automatically or he can transfer the whole thing to a SD card and keep his music there. So what's there to sync?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.