Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
What else is there? Lotus Notes :confused:

LOL. There are actually business that still use Notes, but I think some of them are migrating to Exchange.

Maybe the person you replied to expects businesses to transfer sensitive corporate email using their iCloud account. :D

We tried working with Apple directly to get iOS devices managed on our secured corporate WiFi, but they just don't seem to care about business customers. The support was terrible. The tech didn't even understand our goals and we couldn't get the support escalated to a higher level tech. We will probably just end up purchasing Windows 8 tablets when they become available.

iOS devices are nice for consumers, but are basically useless for businesses. For example, there are still plenty of businesses that use Flash. We don't use it, but we never used it much anyways.

Last edited:

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I've been testing for this "bug" all day on our Exchange server at work. No cancellations have happened. I get the decline notices as usual. All declines have come from iOS6 devices.

Maybe this stupid "Fortune 500 company" hasn't updated their Exchange server.

nicholc2

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
I've been testing for this "bug" all day on our Exchange server at work. No cancellations have happened. I get the decline notices as usual. All declines have come from iOS6 devices.

We can't reproduce this here either. Maybe they're still running Exchange 2003 or older. :D

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
iOS6 - worst update since iPhone OS 3.0

Yep... it is.

This thing (iOS6) has been a debacle from many angles.

I'm glad to see this Exchange problem surface, because it means I'm not the only one who's been railing about this since iOS6 release.

And for the 1000th time, I wish apple would allow rolling back to iOS5.1

Dealing with mail problems is a nightmare (some of us rely on it for serious stuff - like work).

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
We can't reproduce this here either. Maybe they're still running Exchange 2003 or older. :D
I'm sure you would be amazed of you knew how many large organisations don't upgrade their server infrastructure. I saw a job advert today for an unnamed bank looking for a consultant to upgrade their Exchange 5.5 to 2003.

----------

And there is no way to downgrade a 4s to 5.x either I suppose...
I haven't tried but I'm sure you could restore with an 5.1 .ipsw file.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I work for a major company that is privately owned (if you travel or wrecked your car recently you've heard of us) but would probably be a Fortune 500 company if it was public. Long story short they sounded the alarm on this one ahead of the release... Being the rebellious spirit that i am I upgraded anyway. After a 4-day quarantine they discovered that it only occurs (at least on our setup) when an user has a delegate set up. They have since re-enabled access to those of us without a delegate.

I second that. Users with delegates seems to be at the heart of the issue for us.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
who the hell still uses exchange Jeeps! :eek:

pls join the 21st century

it's not 1995 anymore

Hahaha..

What the hell does this mean?

It's like saying "Electricity? What kind of neanderthal uses that?"
"Air? You still breath air???"

Do you not know what Exchange even is?
It's the most-modern, most-common, most-powerful, [insert additional positive adjectives here] collaborative/groupware in existence.

Humans. That's who still uses Exchange.

Copper D

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Not new to iOS6

This has been an issue for our company for at least a year. It's not a problem new to iOS6.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
If I could I would urge people never to touch Microsoft Exchange due to the fact that admins have the ability to wipe your phone with one click and no permission.

What a buncha ******** that is...

Just curious,

What do you think you ought to do if your national corporation with tens of thousands of employees uses MS Exchange? Tell them to shove it up their arse because you prefer gmail?

Some of these comments are just so stupid and ignorant. Most large corporations use MS Exchange. If you work at a car wash where they use an internet kiosk, that's different.

Apple have really fell asleep at the wheel here. If they want to trust of corporations to use their product, they better start to wake up - and do it soon.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yep... it is.

This thing (iOS6) has been a debacle from many angles.

I'm glad to see this Exchange problem surface, because it means I'm not the only one who's been railing about this since iOS6 release.

And for the 1000th time, I wish apple would allow rolling back to iOS5.1

Dealing with mail problems is a nightmare (some of us rely on it for serious stuff - like work).

As much as I like Apple, it seems they've never treated EAS as a priority. They screw it up almost every major release.

----------

If I could I would urge people never to touch Microsoft Exchange due to the fact that admins have the ability to wipe your phone with one click and no permission.

What a buncha ******** that is...

Then don't connect your personal device to the corporate mail system. Easy. You provided them permission the moment you loaded corporate data on your device. Most likely this was addressed in your company's IT policies/handbook.

----------

(In researching the pre-iOS6 problems, I found more than one person who claimed to have traced the problems to a bug in how Exchange Server 2003 implemented the ActiveSync/Exchange protocol. They said that the bug was still there in 2007, but fixed with Exchange Server 2010.)

My documentation shows it was addressed in Exchange 2007 SP3.

----------

I'm sure you would be amazed of you knew how many large organisations don't upgrade their server infrastructure. I saw a job advert today for an unnamed bank looking for a consultant to upgrade their Exchange 5.5 to 2003.

????!?!?!?!?!?! Wow.

I could do it for them. Where are the located? ;)

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Glad to see this is finally getting attention. Meeting invite integration with iCal, Outlook, Exchange, iOS, iCloud has been problematic since long before iOS 6 came out. Maybe a fix will be in the works soon with a this kind of attention. Or am I just being overly optimistic?

Amen. Don't forget about swoosh before SMTP.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

We're on BPOS-D so it's definitely updated. But the updates might be a month behind??

Anyway, I think it's more related to the delegate issue as others have mentioned. Did you test this with users that have delegates?

----------

There's a new Microsoft cloud based solution for managing "unmanaged" devices coming along that may make this a bit easier.

More details please. :D

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Huh? Not saying it's perfect, but that's a pretty big generalization. Maps have worked fine for me in my area. Siri has been fine for what I've used it for, including weather in my area. I've added 2 items to Passbook, and they're pretty cool. Basic, but it works. I'm sure over time all of it will improve...

Dude... the point you're missing here is:

Yes it works for you, but it doesn't for many others.

THAT MEANS IT'S BUGGY AS HELL.

Imagine you buy a car and it drives fine for your wife, but whenever you drive it something doesn't seem right. Are you going to put up with that? I don't think so.

Why is it only with apple products, people seem to think everything is justified. "Give it time"? Pfft.

It should never have been released in the first place.
There's no excuse. The list of problems with iOS6 grows by the day.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I could also do it for them but I refuse on principal :)

It was a UK advert so I guess they would be in London.

Yeah, not sure I want to touch 5.5 ever again and why would they not migrate straight to 2010? Meh....I'm looking in NYC anyway. :D

----------

SCCM 2012 and Azure I think.

Think I heard they were going to extend SCCM functionality to cover Surface, but hadn't heard about EAS management. Will this be a true MDM?

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012

I'm thinking this only happens if the person declining the invite is a delegate of the Organizer's mailbox.

A good test would be to delegate permissions to user 1's mailbox to User2. These permissions should allow for the ability to create/Modify calendar invites on behalf of User1. Then have User1 create an invite where User2 is an invitee. The have User2 decline the invite.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

The bigger the organization, the less likely they are to upgrade.

People think of Exchange Server as a standalone upgrade, but you have no idea how many third party / homegrown applications probably use Exchange Server, upgrading Exchange Server would require revisit all of those applications and making sure they work with the new version, could be a serious project and not many IT departments have money for such things; EXCEPT when it become necessary.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Not to nitpick, and fully acknowledging that Apple has a bug to fix here, but ...

The fact that Exchange allows someone other than the creator of the appointment to cancel it is a problem. I would expect an widely used, "enterprise" class server infrastructure like Exchange would be implemented with certain safeguards in mind. Relying on client software to "play nice" in order to function properly is never a good approach.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
We're on BPOS-D so it's definitely updated. But the updates might be a month behind??

Anyway, I think it's more related to the delegate issue as others have mentioned. Did you test this with users that have delegates?

Just checked, and we don't have any users with delegates. We're a SMB (99 employees), so it was an easy check. :p

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
iOS is a toy (for kids). *lol*

;)

Sadly this is becoming a reality. And that's a worry.

Sure... Angry Birds seems to work without any problems.

To be fair, Android is a bigger issue than iOS when it comes to EAS. There are too many odd implementations out there that don't fully support all the features of EAS and we end up having to tell users to buy Touchdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.