Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nashville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Nashville
You can't go in and use the iPhone 4 as a reference point and demand a new 5. Apple doesn't see the warm tint as a defect. Now if there are patches of yellow and dead pixels that is a different story but you can't just say the screen tint is warmer than the 4 and get a new one.

Go to an Apple store and compare it to those floor models, that picture would be more useful.

I did this about 2 hours ago and my 5 is yellow compared to the iPhone 5 models they have on the floor at the Apple Store here in Nashville. I'm starting to feel I'm in a court room. I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow at which time I will bring all my phones, my iPad and take a picture with the whole Apple iPhone family and let y'all tell me I need to do something else! :) I'm sure one of the Apple reps will ask me what I'm doing and I will just refer them to this thread! :D The Apple rep I talked to today said he had never heard of this issue. He also said the resolution of my iPhone 5 was much better than my iPhone 4.

opnr2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2007
I suggest when the new jailbreak comes out for you to get an app called
Color profile. You can change the color temps on the iphone just like your TVs.

here is a video you can see around the 1:03 min mark the Bold profile will remove the yellow tint issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtNYEMxJ58

My ip5 has a slight yellow tint too so i am in the same boat. But this will fix things, apple should really include this option in settings.

Last edited:

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
For what I've read this is an intended thing. This screen should give more natural and accurate colors than previous iPhones. Also the new one-layer screen helps.

If that's the thing, I'd expect display panels in the Apple store to show the same shade of tint.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
If that's the thing, I'd expect display panels in the Apple store to show the same shade of tint.

Take a pic of a colored scenario with both a 5 and a 4S. Compare them side by side with the original scenario. The 5 should look more similar to reality than the 4S.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Take a pic of a colored scenario with both a 5 and a 4S. Compare them side by side with the original scenario. The 5 should look more similar to reality than the 4S.

What I'm saying is that, I'm comparing a 5 to a 5. Shouldn't the two 5s look the same?

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
You've got two 5s? And their cameras perform different in exact circumstances? Then yes, there's an issue somewhere!

I brought my iPhone 5 to the store and put it in between 2 store display iPhone 5s.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
sorry but your old 4 is BLUE

Your 5 is right.

You're chasing your tail on this one.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I brought my iPhone 5 to the store and put it in between 2 store display iPhone 5s.

You are doing the right thing. Apple should not be allowed to continue this.

Every launch we have yellow screens. Every launch people say Apple is moving to a neutral white point and its intentional. Every year, the blue screens return a month after launch.

I, like you, just want the phone thats on display at the Apple store.

If Apple were really moving to a neutral white point, all phones would have been yellow since the 3GS, when this first happened.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
You are doing the right thing. Apple should not be allowed to continue this.

Every launch we have yellow screens. Every launch people say Apple is moving to a neutral white point and its intentional. Every year, the blue screens return a month after launch.

I, like you, just want the phone thats on display at the Apple store.

If Apple were really moving to a neutral white point, all phones would have been yellow since the 3GS, when this first happened.

Again, use any adjective you choose to make you feel better. Piss yellow in lieu of white is not correct, no matter what call it, warm, accurate, etc.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Well. Then I guess you got a faulty phone.

RIGHT, way to get it man. Im being serious.

Everyone who thinks this is as Apple intends should go put their phone next to display phones. Open the settings menu and look side by side at 75% brightness.

Youll find that >90% of display phones have a cool blue screen.

If thats what Apple is telling me it's selling, thats what I want to recieve.

----------

Again, use any adjective you choose to make you feel better. Piss yellow in lieu of white is not correct, no matter what call it, warm, accurate, etc.

I dont get it, are you argueing with me? Because I agree with you and my whole post backs up what you are saying...read closer?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Next to my old 4s, my 5 looks very different... the 4s is the one that is wrong. I'll take a pic with my wife's iPad to compare...

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
RIGHT, way to get it man. Im being serious.

Everyone who thinks this is as Apple intends should go put their phone next to display phones. Open the settings menu and look side by side at 75% brightness.

Youll find that >90% of display phones have a cool blue screen.

If thats what Apple is telling me it's selling, thats what I want to recieve.

Didn't check mine with the Apple Store ones but I come from a 4S and what I can tell is that I like this screen much better. Not talking about the size here, only colors. Greens mainly. They look much more natural. More similar to my retina iPad. Photos look better too.

Maybe it's just some phones and you got a bad one...

But yes. If you feel yours is faulty then get an appointment with a genius and go show him the comparison with an store model. They should replace it!

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Didn't check mine with the Apple Store ones but I come from a 4S and what I can tell is that I like this screen much better. Not talking about the size here, only colors. Greens mainly. They look much more natural. More similar to my retina iPad. Photos look better too.

Maybe it's just some phones and you got a bad one...

But yes. If you feel yours is faulty then get an appointment with a genius and go show him the comparison with an store model. They should replace it!

Yes, they will. I am waiting til end of October and will do a retail swap at that time. Good chance at anice clear screen at that time. (Sharp screens will be making their way to the states)

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The iP4 had a really cold-blueish tint, the 4S slightly less, the 5 is way warmer. This does not mean it is a yellow tint.

Why does the display models of the 5 have the same cool tint as the other phones then?

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
It's funny how many times it had to be posted that the comparison is being made to other 5's

----------

sorry but your old 4 is BLUE

Your 5 is right.

You're chasing your tail on this one.

So all the 5's in the store are blue and his is right?

:confused:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It's funny how many times it had to be posted that the comparison is being made to other 5's

Yep, when dealing with blind Apple defenders, black and white logic is not enough. They will insist its supposed to be like that no matter what anyone says.

Hate to keep repeating myself but...happens with every major launch. Including the upcoming iPad Mini.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I agree. Take your phone into an apple store and compare them to their display models. Your screen will look like every other iPhone5 in the store.

Way to read the rest of this thread, stallion.

The display models are blue.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Guys, the iPhone is matched to the 6500k white calibration. If you look that up, it meets the sRGB spec that Apple touts. This means the warmer color is normal. This is not the same as the tint on older iphone models. You guys have normal phones.

----------

Way to read the rest of this thread, stallion.

The display models are blue.

So it's basically the majority of the forum > you. Are you hard headed?

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Okay, here is my new iPhone 5 next to my old iPhone 4 with the same exact screen showing. I took the picture with my new iPad, so all Apple products! Judge for yourself! I also added this to my original post at the top. Sorry for not adding this from the beginning.

url]

My Black iphone 5 VS White Iphone 4s

My White Iphone 5 VS White Iphone 4s (sending this white 5 back)

You can see the 4s is actually yellow compared to both the 5 models!

My daughter is having my 3 month old 4s for Christmas.

Attachments

• Brightness.png
    Brightness.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
  • Brightness2.png
    Brightness2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 310

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
...all I can say is the difference in color between my new 5 (and I've had 2 of them now both the exact same) and my old 4s is drastic. The 5 looks so much better. When I had the 4s, I thought it looked great. Now I see the screen on the 5 and the 4s looks blue.

Keep swapping it if you want. Or, pick up some of this, cut to fit, and you should be about where you want:

blue_transparent_vinyl_film_300.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.