Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Apple would have made Android/Windows 8/Blackberry apps so that I could send free text messages to my friends, like KakaoTalk.
Sure, and I'd love to see browser-based access too, but it ain't happening. iMessage is there to sell Apple devices, unfortunately, so I really don't see them extending their free messaging to Android users, do you?

As designed for compatible devices, iMessage works really well in my experience -- at least since the iOS 6 and Mountain Lion updates.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
I'm fairly certain TB has the bandwidth to push a 27" retina display. I remember reading somewhere that it could push 2 4K screens. Fairly certain...not positive.

Nope, TB has only 10Gbit/s reserved for the display data (display port version 1.1a) and that is not enough to power even one 4K display. In theory you could of course use the Thunderbolt's other 10Gbit/s lane for display data as well to make it same as display port ver 1.2 (20Gbit/s), but then you wouldn't be able to connect anything else to the monitor/same chain since it wouldn't be Thunderbolt anymore.

Of course Apple could bypass this issue by using two thunderbolt connectors for the display (like they have on rMBP). But yeah, one TB port doesn't have enough bandwidth to push 2 4K displays (or even one).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The problem is that many of the TB equipped MBA/MBP only have either pathetically slow USB 2.0 or FW800 to fall back on.

True and I wish Apple would solve the problem by offering its own hub (essentially Thunderbolt Display minus the display).

jasomill

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
For a "failure", my Thunderbolt Display and eSATA hub work very well, and have features (FireWire 800 in the case of the display, native AHCI SATA support in the case of the hub) that are both important to me and*not currently available in competing USB 3.0 devices. Not entirely unlike FireWire in its heyday, vis-a-vis USB 1.1 and 2.0.

USB 3.0, with its ubiquity, backward-compatibility, and improved bandwidth, is an excellent replacement for FireWire 800. Damn shame the Sandy Bridge Macs don't support it. What I'd really love to see is a bus-powered Thunderbolt USB 3.0 adapter with Thunderbolt passthrough that's compatible with OS-integrated drivers. While I understand the "non-chain-ending" Thunderbolt controllers are considerably more expensive, if such a device retailed for $150 or less, I'd buy two.

In contrast to USB 3.0, Thunderbolt could, with only incremental improvements (read: more and faster PCIe lanes), easily replace PCI Express in all applications where "internal" isn't an obvious advantage. As an example, imagine a rack unit with an integrated management controller, redundant power, and port replication for one or more "Mac mini Pro" CPUs connected via a convenient, front-loading "warm-swap" mechanism. Now imagine this unit connected via Thunderbolt to rack-mounted Thunderbolt audio and/or video interfaces, "legacy" rack-mounted PCI express card cages to support existing high-end storage controllers and 10Gbps+ Ethernet interfaces, and possibly even additional, redundant CPU units.

Perhaps a pipe dream, but I'd love to see something along these lines as a replacement for the Mac Pro, with full- and minitower enclosures available as accessories.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
create a modular dock. you purchase the base unit which would be a slim block, no thicker than 0.5" which will contain the logic board. you purchase the individual ports that you want, which are sold in modular blocks that snap onto the base unit. you want an HDMI port? then buy the HDMI module. if you want 3 USB 3.0 ports, you buy that module.

etc.

i don't know why a manufacturer hasn't done this already...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
For a given generation of HD, usually the higher platter speed=higher transfer rates. That said, the majority of 2012 5400rpm hard drives easily exceed USB 2.0 transfer rates almost two-fold. So even 5400rpm drives get a speed boost from TB/USB 3.0

On the other hand, slower speed drives run cooler and use less power.

My home Core i7 has one of the latest SandForce SSD drives for the system and applications - and arrays of "green" drives for the bulk storage.

That's the way to go....

The pricing is insulting. You've got $20 in electronic chips and $15 in packaging and they want how much?

Not really insulting - you forget about the highly paid programmers writing all of the third party device drivers necessary to make T-Bolt actually work....

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Pardon me, but the Matrox looks like a prototype made in a garage.

EDIT: Okay, apparently just bad picture. It looks much better in other pictures.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
think of the 3rd party drivers

In contrast to USB 3.0, Thunderbolt could, with only incremental improvements (read: more and faster PCIe lanes), easily replace PCI Express in all applications where "internal" isn't an obvious advantage. As an example, imagine a rack unit with an integrated management controller, redundant power, and port replication for one or more "Mac mini Pro" CPUs connected via a convenient, front-loading "warm-swap" mechanism. Now imagine this unit connected via Thunderbolt to rack-mounted Thunderbolt audio and/or video interfaces, "legacy" rack-mounted PCI express card cages to support existing high-end storage controllers and 10Gbps+ Ethernet interfaces, and possibly even additional, redundant CPU units.

Perhaps a pipe dream, but I'd love to see something along these lines as a replacement for the Mac Pro, with full- and minitower enclosures available as accessories.

I'm not sure that I completely understand your concept, but want to point out that T-Bolt is basically "external PCIe".

As such, since PCIe was designed as an internal peripheral bus, it doesn't lend itself to sharing among systems.

To oversimplify a bit - the CPUs are the "masters", and the devices are the "slaves". Connecting multiple "masters" to a T-Bolt chain would create a huge amount of additional complexity if it were even possible in the general case.

And, since it appears that none of the docking station companies have managed to handle the complexity of a single master - creating "a huge amount of additional complexity" doesn't seem like a good path to follow.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I'm not sure that I completely understand your concept, but want to point out that T-Bolt is basically "external PCIe".

As such, since PCIe was designed as an internal peripheral bus, it doesn't lend itself to sharing among systems.

To oversimplify a bit - the CPUs are the "masters", and the devices are the "slaves". Connecting multiple "masters" to a T-Bolt chain would create a huge amount of additional complexity if it were even possible in the general case.

And, since it appears that none of the docking station companies have managed to handle the complexity of a single master - creating "a huge amount of additional complexity" doesn't seem like a good path to follow.

Huh?
What do you think grid computing is?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...so USB 3 doesn't get you much more than the inefficient CPU hogging protocol.
Not under Mountain Lion on Mid-2012 hardware (Macs). ML has obviously optimized USB 3.0 drivers (which support the UASP). Is this true? I do not know. If this is true, then USB 3.0 is hardware accelerated on a Mid-2012 Mac + ML, because:
wikipedia.org said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed – host controller (xHCI) hardware support, no software overhead for out-of-order commands

USB 3 host controller (xHCI) provides hardware support for Streams

UASP support requires compatible enclosures or other UASP compatible USB 3.0 hardware.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
What are you talking about? FireWire 800 is sweet, my drives sound much better running even FireWire 400 than USB 2(smooth sounding writes not choppy), and FireWire 800 pretty much goes as fast as the drive so USB 3 doesn't get you much more than the inefficient CPU hogging protocol. Ask anyone in digital video, FireWire was a savior and thunderbolt is even more awesome. Just because the masses don't get it doesn't make it a failure.

Miss the point.

If Apple made more products for it and actively helped others design products FW would be far more prevalent.

And did you see my sig??

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
create a modular dock. you purchase the base unit which would be a slim block, no thicker than 0.5" which will contain the logic board. you purchase the individual ports that you want, which are sold in modular blocks that snap onto the base unit. you want an HDMI port? then buy the HDMI module. if you want 3 USB 3.0 ports, you buy that module.

etc.

i don't know why a manufacturer hasn't done this already...
It would cost more than just making a 'full' dock.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Huh?
What do you think grid computing is?

I think that "grid computing" is based on systems connected over network interfaces.

T-Bolt is not a network interface, so you can't make a grid of systems connected by T-Bolt.

Since I said "I'm not sure that I completely understand your concept" I was simply trying to point out that if the earlier post meant to say that you could connect systems using T-Bolt that there was a big problem.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Why anyone would want to spend $400 for a hub is beyond me. Pick up a refub TBD for around $829 and get a n awesome screen and true docking station.
Or start a new Ivy Bridge Mac mini (base model) in the target disk modus (via Thunderbolt). This should give you four USB 3.0 interfaces. Waiting for the 2012 Mac mini...

----------

And did you see my sig?
No, i'm blind. :p

mediacomposer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Boston, MA
It's crap like this that keeps me sticking to my Firewire 800 External Hard Drives for video editing... Apple and third parties need to get it together with this Thunderbolt stuff... :mad:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Sad, but it is clearly time for a hasty retreat back to USB 3.0.

And, let's not forget to go back to Betamax and horse and buggies!

THese darn people inventing and/or using new technologies , making adapters and all should really leave us alone.

It was so peaceful!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
It would cost more than just making a 'full' dock.

but it reduces costs b/c the company doesn't have to keep re-engineering the "full" dock as Belkin finds itself having to do over and over again

it would be a great kickstarter project

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The pricing is insulting. You've got $20 in electronic chips and $15 in packaging and they want how much?

It's Apple/Mac accessory. Hence the price. Now that PCs got TB the prices and availability will improve drastically.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Or start a new Ivy Bridge Mac mini (base model) in the target disk modus (via Thunderbolt). This should give you four USB 3.0 interfaces. Waiting for the 2012 Mac mini...

----------

No, i'm blind. :p

Very interesting suggestion on the mac mini. I learned something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.