Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hi guys

Is there anybody out there that converting bluray MKV rips to MP4's without losing any of the original bluray quality? If so how are you going about doing it..?

Also is it a quicker process? as I'm guessing you can use passthru on the video.

JDrive

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
MakeMKV does not transcode the audio or video.

Sorry misread your post you could demux the audio and video streams with mkvtoolnix and then remux using ffmpeg.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi guys

Is there anybody out there that converting bluray MKV rips to MP4's without losing any of the original bluray quality? If so how are you going about doing it..?

Also is it a quicker process? as I'm guessing you can use passthru on the video.
You can change the mkv container to an mp4 container using Subler (free).

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
i dont know whether this is me doing something wrong but I've tryed converting a mkv to mp4 3 times now and not one of them will play afterwards. i process finishes ok and i get an m4v ouput file but it wont play.

when i try open it in quicktime i get the following error

the document"Headhunters.m4v" could not be opened the movie file format isnt recognised.

i also get this from mplayerx

error

oops, it seams that mplayer has quit without playing the media.

also videospec doesn't recognise the file!!

this is the process im doing in subler

1. open subler

2.file > open > headhunters.mkv

3. i then get a dialog box to select tracks

4. i select the video track, audio tracks , subs and chapter tracks

5. press add

6.press file > save
and save to a location

i then get a choice of file format video-mpeg4 or movie-mpeg4

then subler starts saving which takes about 5-10mins then i get the file thats unplayable.

am i missing something here?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
i dont know whether this is me doing something wrong but I've tryed converting a mkv to mp4 3 times now and not one of them will play afterwards. i process finishes ok and i get an m4v ouput file but it wont play.

the document"Headhunters.m4v" could not be opened the movie file format isnt recognised.

error

1. open subler

5. press add

6.press file > save
and save to a location

then subler starts saving which takes about 5-10mins then i get the file thats unplayable.

Does the mkv use the h.264 codec?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I use the aTV2 setting in handbrake to convert MKv tv shows I get. They work just fine as m4v files, the downside is that they usually end up being a bigger file size afterwards. But they play fine.

mclog

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I use the aTV2 setting in handbrake to convert MKv tv shows I get. They work just fine as m4v files, the downside is that they usually end up being a bigger file size afterwards. But they play fine.

You should be using something like XMedia Recode which doesn't touch the video, just converts the audio to atv suitable format, and puts in m4v container. Only takes a couple of minutes to do an episode, and it's basically the same size afterwards.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
You should be using something like XMedia Recode which doesn't touch the video, just converts the audio to atv suitable format, and puts in m4v container. Only takes a couple of minutes to do an episode, and it's basically the same size afterwards.
Note that he is in the apple ecosystem. XMedia Recode is Windows only. Subler has the same function in the Mac environment. Also, transcoding is required if original file does not use the h.264 codec.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Note that he is in the apple ecosystem. XMedia Recode is Windows only. Subler has the same function in the Mac environment. Also, transcoding is required if original file does not use the h.264 codec.

Definitely. Subler converts DTS / AC3 subtracks to AAC just fine (if you don't have a hardware decoder, connected to your ATV, to decode AC3). Let me know if you need my tutorial on using the audio converter support under ML and I'll dig up the link (posted it in some of the threads here).

----------

Hi guys

Are they "scene" (read: pirated) rips, or, original ones? The former are very easy to convert as they "only" have DTS / AC3 audio and textual subtitles; the latter may be much more complicated (VC-1 video, HD audio, BD subs - all require conversion).

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Also, make sure that 64-bit chunk offset is checked in Subler.

Thanks Cinephi1e that was the missing link! everything worked fine after that the subs are now working in iTunes, but theres one big problem!!!!
on the subs the letter 'l' is been replaced by a forward slash '"/" im guessing the ocr recognision is having problems with the letter "l" is there anything i can do about this? when i load the .sup into BDsup2sub the first window of text matches the second window on the problem area....ive looked for a manual for BDsup2sub but i cant find anything.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Definitely. Subler converts DTS / AC3 subtracks to AAC just fine (if you don't have a hardware decoder, connected to your ATV, to decode AC3). Let me know if you need my tutorial on using the audio converter support under ML and I'll dig up the link (posted it in some of the threads here).

----------

Are they "scene" (read: pirated) rips, or, original ones? The former are very easy to convert as they "only" have DTS / AC3 audio and textual subtitles; the latter may be much more complicated (VC-1 video, HD audio, BD subs - all require conversion).

these are blurays that i have bought and ripping myself and the contents for the city of god are:-

video(h264)
audio(dts) 3/2+1
subtitle(pgs)
subtitle(pgs)

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
oh it gets worse the text on the screenshot is ment to say "Shaggy"

Attachments

• snap58.jpg
    snap58.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 189
  • snap59.jpg
    snap59.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 244

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia

error

1. open subler

5. press add

6.press file > save
and save to a location

You need to tick the "64 bits chunk offset" box for files bigger than 4gb. It's a file size limitation.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks Cinephi1e that was the missing link! everything worked fine after that the subs are now working in iTunes, but theres one big problem!!!!
on the subs the letter 'l' is been replaced by a forward slash '"/" im guessing the ocr recognision is having problems with the letter "l" is there anything i can do about this? when i load the .sup into BDsup2sub the first window of text matches the second window on the problem area....ive looked for a manual for BDsup2sub but i cant find anything.
I would suggest using Jubler to edit the files. Common for OCR apps to make these types of errors.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
while where on the subject of lossless do you guys think its worth it? i mean were talking 25gb+ lossless vs between 1gb and 5gb encoded. obviously the latter is more appropriate for the likes of iOS devices but for the aTV the only restrictions are the size of your hard drive(s)

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
while where on the subject of lossless do you guys think its worth it? i mean were talking 25gb+ lossless vs between 1gb and 5gb encoded. obviously the latter is more appropriate for the likes of iOS devices but for the aTV the only restrictions are the size of your hard drive(s)

You do realize that the aTV won't play lossless HD audio formats though, right? You have to convert it to Dolby Digital first.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
You do realize that the aTV won't play lossless HD audio formats though, right? You have to convert it to Dolby Digital first.

yes seems a shame!! when i look inside the mkv container the audio format is DTS Coherent Acoustic is that HD? and why wont the aTV support that is it some sort of hardware restrictions/limitations?....or is it just apple being apple?(sorry had to get that in!!)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
oh it gets worse the text on the screenshot is ment to say "Shaggy"

What did you use for text OCR? SubRip? Did you know the latest version of Subler have excellent OCR'ing capabilities?

----------

yes seems a shame!! when i look inside the mkv container the audio format is DTS Coherent Acoustic is that HD? and why wont the aTV support that is it some sort of hardware restrictions/limitations?....or is it just apple being apple?(sorry had to get that in!!)

Nope, DTS Coherent Acoustics is the same as the plain (compressed) DTS. Nevertheless, not even that can be decoded by the ATV3 - and can't be passed to an external decoder either. That is, you must convert them to AC3 (if you do have an external decoder) or, even worse, AAC (if you don't have an external decoder).

For this conversion, Subler is just fine. By importing an MKV file twice and, in the second import, you deselect everything but the audio track, you can have both an AC3 and an AAC audio track in your target M4V.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
What did you use for text OCR? SubRip? Did you know the latest version of Subler have excellent OCR'ing capabilities?

No I used BDsup2sub, I dropped the .sub that I extracted using mkvtools into BDsup2sub and then saved/ran and I got a .sub and .idx out the other end then i muxed the .idx/.sub into the mkv using mktoolnix(mkvmerge) then change the container using subler

I've got a feeling I'm doing something wrong in bdsup2sub. I was under the impression that when you load the .sup into bdsup2sub that the two windows (see above image)represent the .sub that I inserted and the .sub that will be created...and if both match that's what you'll get in your .sub when bdsup2sub is ran.

Ps...this thread is a great learning curve, thank you for everyone's help.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

No I used BDsup2sub, I dropped the .sub that I extracted using mkvtools into BDsup2sub and then saved/ran and I got a .sub and .idx out the other end then i muxed the .idx/.sub into the mkv using mktoolnix(mkvmerge) then change the container using subler

I've got a feeling I'm doing something wrong in bdsup2sub. I was under the impression that when you load the .sup into bdsup2sub that the two windows (see above image)represent the .sub that I inserted and the .sub that will be created...and if both match that's what you'll get in your .sub when bdsup2sub is ran.

Ps...this thread is a great learning curve, thank you for everyone's help.

I don't think it's a problem of bdsup2sub - it's pretty much failsafe. (Just remember to set the output language!) Subler, so far, worked for me just great in OCR'ing VobSub subs, also in English so I don't udnerstand why it produced so bad results with your subs.

Are you sure you're using the latest Subler? It uses an implicit English OCR dictionary - therefore, it's not a problem if you've forgotten to download it.

Another solution would be using SubRip for VobSub OCR'ing. It requires more time (you'll always have to train all chars first) but, in general, may output better results.

Let me know if you need a dedicated tutorial on using BDSup2Sub / Subler / SubRip, I've published several articles on their OCR support and can paste them in here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.