Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Guys, the iPhone is matched to the 6500k white calibration. If you look that up, it meets the sRGB spec that Apple touts. This means the warmer color is normal. This is not the same as the tint on older iphone models. You guys have normal phones.

----------

So it's basically the majority of the forum > you. Are you hard headed?

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about, you have proven that.

For the last time, I am not talking about a slightly warmer calibration, which is normal as you said.

I'm talking about holding a phone with yellow tint next to a display iPhone 5, and having the yellow tint phone look way worse, with way warped colors, and obvious color tone issues.

If your phone matches the display phones, then your phone is the phone I'm trying to get. Mine does not.

Do. You. Get. It.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Way to read the rest of this thread, stallion.

The display models are blue.

Not at my store. ALL the display models are warm. Every single one of them. Now if your display is yellower than all the display models, then yes, that's a problem. Not saying there aren't blue displays, just the majority are on the warmer side compared to the 4/S.

I compared my iPhone 5 next to my i4 and it appeared yellowish. I compared that same iPhone 5 next to all the display models and mine had the whitest screen of the bunch.

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
OP ignoring whites for a second, how do the other colors look in comparison? Does the blueish tint phones look washed out compared to your phone? My point is I wonder if we're looking at this the wrong way and only worrying about white, but actually we are getting more natural and better looking displays when comparing all of the other colors and screens.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Two screens will always look different.
Hold your phone next to your monitor, they are different.
Put your laptop next to your monitor, they are different.

The colors of a display vary because of the backgroung lighting.
The LED's are not all the same and what's even more important:

They have different tones when you change their brightness.

Active calibration just compensates these differences by adjusting the output of the graphics card. This is why calibration is done with multiple levels of brightness and also by measuring ambient light.

(Not only the brightness, but also the coloir temperature of your room)

Your phone cannot look correct, because its appearence will vary wether you are indoors, have the light switched on, use lightbulbs or halogen lights.

This is why monitors are not only calibrated, but constantly recalibrated when used for professional work.

Never compare two screens directly. Take a white pieace of paper and put two phones on that piece. You'll see that all three suddenly look colored and not white at all.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
OP ignoring whites for a second, how do the other colors look in comparison? Does the blueish tint phones look washed out compared to your phone? My point is I wonder if we're looking at this the wrong way and only worrying about white, but actually we are getting more natural and better looking displays when comparing all of the other colors and screens.

I wouldn't mind it as such, but blues have a purplish look to it and my green message bubbles from the message app looks lime green =S

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
My Black iphone 5 VS White Iphone 4s

My White Iphone 5 VS White Iphone 4s (sending this white 5 back)

You can see the 4s is actually yellow compared to both the 5 models!

My daughter is having my 3 month old 4s for Christmas.

God that 4S screen looks terrible

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Returning phone

:mad:Today is a sad day, I am returning my iPhone 5 because of the yellow screen. I tried to live with it but unfortunately it niggles at me every time, and for a £700 phone, I expect it to be right. Plus I have envy at my mates iPhone 5, which is perfect with a perfect white screen, the b******d.

I love my iPhone but as today is the last day I can return it for a full refund, it has to be done. I kept trying to get a new phone reserved, but no luck, so I will be phoneless for a few days/ weeks until I can reserve a new phone. It will be a very sad day indeed. I feel like the main guy at the end of goodfellas, when he says his monologue, and states that he feels like any other shmook . I feel the exact same without my iPhone :(

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
people that return their iphone for yellowish screens are idiots.... those screens on this thread look perfectly normal! they are not yellow, you're iphone 4 screens are blueish! very cold colors on those old screens

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
people that return their iphone for yellowish screens are idiots.... those screens on this thread look perfectly normal! they are not yellow, you're iphone 4 screens are blueish! very cold colors on those old screens

and yet another troll who failed to read the thread.

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Well back from the apple store in trafford centre, and all I can say is they get a massive two thumbs up from me :). After all the kerfuffle that I had getting the first phone, I simply walked in to the store, explained the issue, the guy didnt even hesitate and exchanged it for another brand new phone, plus he managed to exchange it for a different memory one without any problems.

The new phone is a lot better, it is a tiny bit warmer looking but no way near as yellow as the first phone, I can certainly live with it. I am very impressed with the customer service.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
and yet another troll who failed to read the thread.

no it's not a troll.... all phones posted on this thread are fine. they look perfectly normal. people just have no idea how a good screen calibration looks

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
no it's not a troll.... all phones posted on this thread are fine. they look perfectly normal. people just have no idea how a good screen calibration looks

I understand what you are saying zhandri, however what I do not understand is why two iPhone 5 screens are very different, why is one white and one yellow, one looks amazing and one looks like me nans walls after smoking 20 a day for 10 years. If you are right then all iPhone 5 screens should be the same, there should be some consistency with the screens. I understand they are made by different manufactures and that there will be some variation, but a yellow toned screen is not right.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
My Black iphone 5 VS White Iphone 4s

My White Iphone 5 VS White Iphone 4s (sending this white 5 back)

You can see the 4s is actually yellow compared to both the 5 models!

My daughter is having my 3 month old 4s for Christmas.

Piss yellow on the right.

----------

Again, for the 10,000th time. When bright white colors are represented as yellowish, it's not right, no matter what you think.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Piss yellow on the right.

----------

Again, for the 10,000th time. When bright white colors are represented as yellowish, it's not right, no matter what you think.

no it's what your brain thinks is yellow. it just looks yellow because people are used to the blue screens. it will look yellow now but after some time you will get used to it and it will look like a perfect white

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
no it's what your brain thinks is yellow. it just looks yellow because people are used to the blue screens. it will look yellow now but after some time you will get used to it and it will look like a perfect white

Oh, that explains it. It's what your brain thinks is yellow. My brain thinks that pit bull charging at me full steam with teeth showing is going to bite me. I better wait and see because maybe it's really a chihuahua wanting to play fetch. Man.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Oh, that explains it. It's what your brain thinks is yellow. My brain thinks that pit bull charging at me full steam with teeth showing is going to bite me. I better wait and see because maybe it's really a chihuahua wanting to play fetch. Man.

it's because all screens today are blueish because it looks clearer and sharper people like you (that have no idea) think "WOW THAT'S HOW A SCREEN HAS TO LOOK" i hope you realise there is no color white in a screen it get's mixed by all the colors and 6500K is the white standard which will tend to look a little red for people because they stare at those ***** configured TV and screens. it looks that way to you because your eyes got used to it and think that this is how white has to look and if you can't accept that your brain is playing tricks on you... well unlucky for you

I just love it how people like you think that those screens are wrong and they are bad... YOU think they are red or yellow because you've been staring at the blue 9000K screens for years and you can't tell what a real white has to look like on a screen. better get your TV and stuff calibrated and stop crying on the forum "if the screen looks yellow it's wrong". i guess you never even touched a screen calibration device. ok yeah k stands for kelvin btw i doubt you know :rolleyes:

check this website if you want to learn something:
http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/monitor-srgb-mode.html

and btw: I'm just talking about the iphone 5

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
it's because all screens today are blueish because it looks clearer and sharper people like you (that have no idea) think "WOW THAT'S HOW A SCREEN HAS TO LOOK" i hope you realise there is no color white in a screen it get's mixed by all the colors and 6500K is the white standard which will tend to look a little red for people because they stare at those ***** configured TV and screens. it looks that way to you because your eyes got used to it and think that this is how white has to look and if you can't accept that your brain is playing tricks on you... well unlucky for you

I just love it how people like you think that those screens are wrong and they are bad... YOU think they are red or yellow because you've been staring at the blue 9000K screens for years and you can't tell what a real white has to look like on a screen. better get your TV and stuff calibrated and stop crying on the forum "if the screen looks yellow it's wrong". i guess you never even touched a screen calibration device. ok yeah k stands for kelvin btw i doubt you know :rolleyes:

Nice explanation, still does not change anything. Piss yellow screen. Place it next to bright white paper, it's yellow. Load white background, it's yellow. Place it against white painted wall, yellow. Take good working phone, place it against aforementioned surfaces, hey, it's very close, no piss, nicotine yellow look. Hmm. You keep the urine stained phones, have at it.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Mine has a warmer, more yellowish tint compared to my 4S. I went to the Apple store and compared it to 3 other 5s, only to discover that I have the whiter, brighter screen. The display models looked awful compared to mine.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

So if these screens are so correct, please explain the forum posters who have compared their phones to other iPhone 5's, found huge differences, have exchanged their phones, and found the new phones to be much better/less yellow.

If it's intentional, how can that scenario exist?

You are trying to say that because iPhone5 screens are slightly warmer, which they are, that applies to people with defective, overly yellow screens as well. Both warm screens and defective yellow screens exist. These people want the warm screens. Not piss yellow screens.

Hope that makes more sense. Although seeing as this has been explained several times in this thread, I'm not holding my breath that it will ring true for you this time.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
So if these screens are so correct, please explain the forum posters who have compared their phones to other iPhone 5's, found huge differences, have exchanged their phones, and found the new phones to be much better/less yellow.

If it's intentional, how can that scenario exist?

You are trying to say that because iPhone5 screens are slightly warmer, which they are, that applies to people with defective, overly yellow screens as well. Both warm screens and defective yellow screens exist. These people want the warm screens. Not piss yellow screens.

Hope that makes more sense. Although seeing as this has been explained several times in this thread, I'm not holding my breath that it will ring true for you this time.

well i don't see any piss yellow iphone 5 screens in this whole thread, so if i don't see any pics i won't believe there are any

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Can someone please explain what's actually going on? This is all so confusing and frustrating. My screen definitely has a subtle but noticeable yellowish/warmer tint. Yellows are more pronounced while blues are more indigo looking. Is this really a new design aesthetic from Apple, the result of varying LCD manufacturers, or a break in period?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.