Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
I installed Skyrim on my MacBook Pro Retina (Windows 7, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 650M) and I am not getting anywhere near the performance others have reported. I struggle to maintain 30fps with all settings on medium and AA/AF turned off at 1280x800. I have the game installed on my SSD whereas other games run very well off a USB 3.0 drive. Fallout 3, which I understand is older, runs at about 25 fps on 'high settings' with AA at 4 and AF at 8. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any recommendations?

EDIT: I have the newest NVIDIA drivers installed.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
No one knows for sure yet... but since the last EFI update that was pushed out, a lot of people have been complaining about issues like this. Seems most people complaining are running Windows though, so it may be a Windows-only thing so Apple didn't notice it in testing since they don't support Windows.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
I installed Skyrim on my MacBook Pro Retina (Windows 7, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 650M) and I am not getting anywhere near the performance others have reported. I struggle to maintain 30fps with all settings on medium and AA/AF turned off at 1280x800. I have the game installed on my SSD whereas other games run very well off a USB 3.0 drive. Fallout 3, which I understand is older, runs at about 25 fps on 'high settings' with AA at 4 and AF at 8. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any recommendations?

EDIT: I have the newest NVIDIA drivers installed.

Try resetting your PRAM (turn computer off, then on again holding cmd+option+P+R until you hear second chime) and SMC (turn off, connect power adapter, then press left control + left option + left shift + power button, all at once, for about a second. Turn on again).

Worked for me when I had framerate issues in every game I had. If the issue is only with Skyrim and other games perform as they should then it's probably something else.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
@Moriarty

Thanks for the advice. That worked wonderfully. With settings on high, Skyrim is running between 45 and 50fps now. Other games that were choppy are also much better.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
As an avid Holmes fan it pains me to give props to Moriarty. In this case he deserves it. But beware his evil schemes!

Also, I like how this makes me feel old school. Haha PRAM reset. That was the answer to every question 10 years ago. :apple:

retinauser007

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Try resetting your PRAM (turn computer off, then on again holding cmd+option+P+R until you hear second chime) and SMC (turn off, connect power adapter, then press left control + left option + left shift + power button, all at once, for about a second. Turn on again).

Worked for me when I had framerate issues in every game I had. If the issue is only with Skyrim and other games perform as they should then it's probably something else.

Moriarty U ARE A GENIUS! saved me from sleepless nights trying to fix my retina THANKS A MILLION!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.