Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Looks like Norway once again draw the short end of the stick.
- No iPhone 5 pre-order from September 14th.
- No iPhone 5 release on September 21st.
- No support for the 4G network which have been running since 2009.
- No Siri.
- No 3D maps.

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
So apparently Washington, DC is not included as one of the cities with 3D mapping? I could have sworn that somebody in this thread said that it was earlier, but I just downloaded ios 6 for the first time and went looking for it but no dice.

Disappointing that they can't do it for one of the major cities in the country.

willemverwey

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Compared to google

what a stupid decision by apple. google maps are 573629x better

Well did google get it right from the start.
I think its a great start. Anyway you can still use the free google earth app. But i would say that its days are numbered. Google Earth also don't have turn by turn navigation.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Surprise surprise, Apple doesn't give a **** about the rest of the world. "Just do loads of American cities and that's all that matters!" Typical Yanks.

Typical Xenophobic (Is it possible to be Xenophobic to America?) answer.

Apple is a US based company. They are going to most likely work on the US (where probably most of their customers are) first most likely.

Besides, I can name companies that have given their home country better things that us Americans haven't gotten/won't be getting/are waiting to get. A few car brands and quad-core phones come to mind....

MarqueeK

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
Typical Xenophobic (Is it possible to be Xenophobic to America?) answer.

Apple is a US based company. They are going to most likely work on the US (where probably most of their customers are) first most likely.

Besides, I can name companies that have given their home country better things that us Americans haven't gotten/won't be getting/are waiting to get. A few car brands and quad-core phones come to mind....

I do agree that Apple being a US-based company, it can't simply take in to account the whole world when it comes to releasing stuff (I live in Japan and I'm not complaining that the iPhone doesn't have Infrared data transfer or built-in Payment chips, those are for Asian companies to make).
However when it comes to a cloud-based map application, Apple's way of doing all their development in one place and avoiding localization by keeping it under veils from even their own overseas locations is just not smart.
Creating a map app needs to be an international effort seeing that the needs of each country, each locality is quite different. As a Tokyoite, turn-by-turn driving directions are pretty much useless and I wish I could turn off the car icon when placing a pin. Instead, what I DO need are train station exit numbers and block numbers to conform the Japanese addressing scheme.
I'm sure other regions have their own standards and needs.
It doesn't matter how many genius developers they hire in the US, they won't be able to pull this off.
It's time to hand over the rein to each locality. That's how Google Map got to where it is now.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Whoa. They pushed NYC Flyover out towards Brooklyn. Before they stopped in the middle of Brooklyn Bridge (so you had the image of the half-melted bridge). Now the bridge is fine, and Brooklyn is partly in 3D also.

Developing.

All of Manhattan now (it used to stop around 115th street). Parts of Brooklyn, parts of Queens, parts of Bronx. Also pushed into surrounding New Jersey, so all the bridges look nice now.

In Staten Island, only up until the bridge landing. So it looks like they wanted to make sure all the bridges were done right, and not half-melted.

Looks like they are expanding out from NYC. Would be interesting to see if the same happens in other cities.

Statue of Liberty is also in Flyover.

Last edited:

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Looks like Norway once again draw the short end of the stick.
- No iPhone 5 pre-order from September 14th.
- No iPhone 5 release on September 21st.
- No support for the 4G network which have been running since 2009.
- No Siri.
- No 3D maps.

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

You guys should spend all the money in The Petroleum Fund and buy Apple - that will set them straight...

On subject: weren't Oslo a featured demo in the C3 marketing material?

Last edited:

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
I could have sworn that somebody said Washington DC had gotten the 3D mapping but it doesn't look like it. Seems odd that they would leave out such a major city.

I could have sworn that somebody said Washington DC had gotten the 3D mapping but it doesn't look like it. Seems odd that they would leave out such a major city.

It's reeeeaaaaallly difficult to get approval to fly in the air space above DC..... Even for Apple. I'm sure they'll get it eventually, but I'm certainly not surprised to see it yet.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Could be a problem getting flyover permission since DC is restricted airspace.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Whoa. They pushed NYC Flyover out towards Brooklyn. Before they stopped in the middle of Brooklyn Bridge (so you had the image of the half-melted bridge). Now the bridge is fine, and Brooklyn is partly in 3D also.

Developing.

All of Manhattan now (it used to stop around 115th street). Parts of Brooklyn, parts of Queens, parts of Bronx. Also pushed into surrounding New Jersey, so all the bridges look nice now.

In Staten Island, only up until the bridge landing. So it looks like they wanted to make sure all the bridges were done right, and not half-melted.

Looks like they are expanding out from NYC. Would be interesting to see if the same happens in other cities.

Statue of Liberty is also in Flyover.

Statue of Liberty isn't for me.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Statue of Liberty isn't for me.

Photo%20Oct%2004%2C%2012%2032%2011%20PM.png

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
You guys should spend all the money in The Petroleum Fund and buy Apple - that will set them straight...

On subject: weren't Oslo a featured demo in the C3 marketing material?

We own about 5% I believe. It's actually the most profitable investment yet ;)

Sir Al

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Calgary has been 3D since iOS launch day
So Ottawa and Vancouver get the shoehorn while the smaller city Calgary gets it? Probably because Calgary is so small they finished it faster, compared to Vancouver that has a ton more complex buildings and structures, especially if they're gonna make Stanley Park 3D (now that would be cool!!).

On a separate note, how does one do the flyover where it actually flies around like in the keynote demo? I tried to show this to a friend and I had to manually rotate it with my fingers which is not as cool as automatically flying over. I tried to pick to places on the map to get directions to/from, but it insisted on using the current location as one of them which is a problem since the current location doesn't have 3D.

Whenever I select something and get "Directions to Here" it starts with current location, when I select "Directions from Here" it goes to current location. If I try to change the current location I need to type an address in, can't I select one from the map instead???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.