Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I still have yet to see ONE valid reason why humans shouldn't be able to fly. Forget all those technical reasons and rationale, we've heard it. Just tell me one good reason why I cannot fly? Birds fly. I should fly.

ONE good reason! I DARE YOU!

Honestly, flying takes a lot of energy. If we could fly, it'd probably feel like sprinting, except with our arms and for longer distances - which means most of us would choose not to fly anyway.

We're a nation of fat chickens.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This is the Thunderbolt port all over again. It has been almost 2 years and we still don't have many TB devices.

That is because almost nobody owns a computer that has a TB port. When you consider that all Macs put together comprise less than ten percent of the market, the percentage of computers in the wild with TB ports is just a rounding error.

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I have still not read a single valid reason why Apple is not selling a dock themselves.

When I got my first iPad I bought a Dock, but the moment I put the iPad in its case the Dock was completely useless because it no longer fit and I did not want to remove the case. I now sit the iPad on a beautiful Just Mobile UpStand (http://goo.gl/0JTdj) and plug a cable in the side. It is so much better than the stand ever was.

I think Apple canceled the iPad Dock, perhaps due to poor sales. Remember the stupid keyboard dock they came out with? Man, oh man, was that the dumbest design ever! I am still not sold on iPad keyboards, but even the worst of the current bunch are much better. I wish someone would come out with a keyboard built in to a thin cover like with the announced Windows Tablets.

imthenachoman

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
For this whole a-dock-is-important vs not-important debate, it's a matter of lifestyle preference, right? Some people do not mind the cluttered look, and extra work, of grabbing a cable, plugging it in, and then putting their phone down on some table with cable visible. Some do. I much prefer the clean and elegant look of a dock -- both at home and in my car. I don't want to have to muck with a cable. I want to take my phone out of my pocket and rest it in some dock -- no grabbig cables.

I still have yet to see ONE valid reason why humans shouldn't be able to fly. Forget all those technical reasons and rationale, we've heard it. Just tell me one good reason why I cannot fly? Birds fly. I should fly.

We're too dumb and would fly too close to the sun. You've heard of Icarus' plight, right?

docks are overrated

You sir, or ma'am, are wrong.

I made my own FREE lightning dock by modifying the earpod case :)
Took me about two and a half hours to figure out.

I do not know if we are allowed to cuss here but [explicative removed] BRILLIANT! I'm going to do the same and add some kind of mold to the base for added support.

REDNAVE

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I modified it further with a more metallic/carbon fiber look =)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 142

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Are there HDDs that can feed 10GB/s of throughput? To my knowledge, even the fastest flash based drives don't break the 1GB/s barrier. Slower physical disks won't even saturate a USB2 connection.

Ever heard of RAID?

But even without that in mind, my iMac has four USB ports, and just like any sane person, both my external HDDs are connected with no hub in between.

That leaves me with only 2 usable ports.

With Thunderbolt, I can daisy-chain, get more speed and even save the USB ports for anything else.

My 7 port USB hub is almost full and I'd really like to shift my drives to a decent, new and welcomed technology, problem is that many offers for this seem to be so lacking and/or expensive, that I seriously get annoyed by this.

I'm sitting here with a 2011 iMac and STILL wait for reasonable products.

It's quite a letdown, especially as I'm in the market for new drives as my current storage is slowly but surely getting maxed out.
That's not to say I actually need to replace one of my drives, as it's old and starting to show its age.

Not willing to run a NAS either, really not.

Glassed Silver:mac

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
That's anodization, not paint. Sliding it into and out of something softer than the aluminum isn't going to damage the anodization. Anybody familiar with the process (including Apple) knows that.
That's only true if the anodization process has been done properly. If e.g. the basis material has not been cleaned properly, the anodization layer will not be as strong and thick as needed to withstand scratches and the such.

Considering the current riots in Foxconn's iPhone factories, chances are that exactly things like this happen - and the quality guys are on strike right now (or something like that).

So in theory you may be right...

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Are there HDDs that can feed 10GB/s of throughput? To my knowledge, even the fastest flash based drives don't break the 1GB/s barrier. Slower physical disks won't even saturate a USB2 connection.

PCIe SSDs, such as the OCZ Revo X2 drives are rated at 1.5GB/s read, and 1.25GB/s write at $1/GB, or less. Since Thunderbolt is a PCIe extension, it should be possible to reach such speeds, and higher, on an external Thunderbolt SSD.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Probably because it would restrict functionality of the headphone jack, which is now located on the bottom.

We've had iPods for years with the headphone jack on the bottom and that certainly never stopped Apple from releasing dock adapter inserts to use them docked.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
I have still not read a single valid reason why Apple is not selling a dock themselves.

This is what Apple says - We wanted to give something to accessories makers
And give iphone user more choice as they can use what they like.

There is real answer- Apple doesn't want to deal with another complains. There is no doubt they have few docking models (perhaps they suck) they are no "good" enough to sell.
But, hey they will get better. at least headphones got better now, no matter how many years they sucked

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If I do make the switch to an iPhone, the only device I want to dock it with is my alarm clock next to the bed. Other than that I will have to agree with Apple. Having a dock right next to a desktop or just to keep the phone upright is nice, but not TOTALLY necessary.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I want to know why Apple doesn't have a version of this new connector with a Thunderbolt connector at the other end instead of USB...

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I want to know why Apple doesn't have a version of this new connector with a Thunderbolt connector at the other end instead of USB...

That would be beyond overkill for starters. As people have pointed out, the memory in current iDevices isn't even fast enough to exceed USB 2.0 speeds. The only advantage I could see to using TB is that it can supply 10W of power natively.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

If you post a picture of yourselves, I'll take a guess.

NOT ENOUGH FEATHERS MAYBE?

They grow less with age, probably testosterone related.

----------

- and the quality guys are on strike right now (or something like that).

So in theory you may be right...

The quality guys are most likely putting higher demands onto the workers and reject a lot of parts.

So, the assembly liner workers are actually on strike because if they are paid by the piece (or get bonuses based on pieces) they lose money (taking longer)

If they are paid hourly wages, they will be evaluated badly for faulty production and may be fired.

Foxconn gets pressure from Apple about all the scratches etc. and needs to look into improving the production process.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I believe this is because Thunderbolt is overkill for the vast majority of devices.

Its not overkill, its a great connection. Its just that Apple has no clue on how to price it well, set some standards on product releases nor did they take into account that USB 3.0 would crap all over it.

Basically, it was a complete failure.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Its not overkill, its a great connection. Its just that Apple has no clue on how to price it well, set some standards on product releases nor did they take into account that USB 3.0 would crap all over it.

Basically, it was a complete failure.

Yep, Apple's fault because third party manufacturers didn't make products for it. Apple's fault that Intel sets licensing prices for a technology it technically owns. Apple's fault all around, eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.