Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
This concerns me. I ride my motorcycle to work every day and my pants get tight when in the sitting position. I’ll have to get a small pack or something. I’ll be watching this to see how many others bend their i5’s

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Maybe it's intentional? I can just see the new advertisement....

ip5.jpg

Gabbelito

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
It's so easy to Photoshop this image (especially with the black background) and account registered Sept. 2012.

Might be a troll, I don't know.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
It's so easy to Photoshop this image (especially with the black background) and account registered Sept. 2012.

Might be a troll, I don't know.

Seriously?

So every time a problem crops up with the new iPhone, it's just trolls, trolling.

I have to shake my head at some members of this forum sometimes.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I tried to plead my case that the phone like every other Iphone is stored in my front pocket, set on my desk, or counter. He happily explained that my phone is now out of warranty and it is considered damaged.

How is a two week old phone "out of warranty"?

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
I just love how the OP initially denied any wrongdoing

then it was pretty obvious what happened when he posted the picture

looks like part of the phone was on the chair while the rest was hanging off = cracked it in half

You fault OP not Apple's

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
You are NOT the only one. I saw a thread a few weeks back that reported the same problem on another iPhone 5, only that one was even worst. Didn't read through the whole thread HERE, but I remember that the other user was DENIED a replacement as Geniuses believed he had done it intentionally...

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I can't help myself... that's freaking hilarious. :)

There's even a crack above the button.

Sometimes people amaze me, this is one of those times.

No bent iPhone 5 here. But thanks for the picture, that should be put up on

Reddit or something, maybe even Fark. I'd love to see the reactions

Reddit? Fark? ??

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
There's no way sitting in the front pocket of tight jeans generates even close to enough force for a phone out of aluminium and glass to bend.

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
There's no way sitting in the front pocket of tight jeans generates even close to enough force for a phone out of aluminium and glass to bend.

I was wearing loose fitting shorts actually. I'm not bitching about the product, I like the phone. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one. I've owned three iPhones, never mucked one up in any way. Why would I lie about damaging or not damaging the phone? I'm not trying to get away with something.
For all the accusers, ****

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Thinner glass and thinner metal band is going to make the phone more prone to bending. Just look at how little metal there is left on the band where the button for volume is located. It is why is never carry in my pocket.:cool:

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Ok loose fitting shorts and you are thin. So that rules out your girth causing the bend.
The phone looks like it went through something with some force to cause the bend and tear in the metal. Yet the glass didnt break.

Last question, were you drunk? :p

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Wow, this sort of settles the argument of the 5 having a better build than the 4/4S. Seems like the previous gens had a very solid body, one that would not BEND at least. Sure on my 4S, I could shatter the glass back. But I can also purchase a replacement back glass for about 10$ on eBay.

I even said in another thread that the 5 looks/feels like it could be bent in half. I guess I wasn't too far off making that statement.

I think the 5 looks great, and is a great phone. And will this bending happen widespread? Prob not. But will it happen to a lot of people? Surely.

Eek. :eek:

rodrighs75

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Thinner glass and thinner metal band is going to make the phone more prone to bending. Just look at how little metal there is left on the band where the button for volume is located. It is why is never carry in my pocket.:cool:

I personally think Apple sacrificed this phones practical use for the weight and thickness of the phone. I have owned past models and they were not prone to bending. The stainless steel band around the phone would have alleviated this issue. I did not purchase the phone and think that my daily handling would have to change. Shattering my screen or scratching the surfaces have always been an issue, but not putting the phone in my front pocket.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I personally think Apple sacrificed this phones practical use for the weight and thickness of the phone. I have owned past models and they were not prone to bending. The stainless steel band around the phone would have alleviated this issue. I did not purchase the phone and think that my daily handling would have to change. Shattering my screen or scratching the surfaces have always been an issue, but not putting the phone in my front pocket.

They sure did. They did not want a repeat of the 4S launch-underwhelming changes, so they needed to make it lighter and in turn really sacrificed the build quality. The lighter 6061 aluminum is also the reason it dents so easily. Should have used 6061-T6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.