Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Excited to get hands on with this ... Remember the very first version as a kid! I hope it is in fact true to its roots and NO social / life crap!!!

----------

I wonder what the performance will be like on the MBP Retina. I'm thinking not great.

The Retina MBP has way stronger specs than showing on the websites min requirements.

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I almost cried when I saw this news months back. I can't even tell you how excited I am for this. I still play Sim City 4 when I need a Sim City kick.

----------

Sadly, I'm not getting my hopes up. It is EA, after all.

* Looks like this will be enforced multi-player. No single-player option.

* City sizes are apparently fairly small, maybe a half of what previous versions have been.

* Probable dumbed-down player controls

Sigh.

It does *look* fantastic, actually quite close to what I'd been hoping to see... 10 years ago.

Hey, if it beats my low expectations, I'll spring for it. But recent history doesn't give me much hope.

The multiplayer isn't exactly enforced. You are able to start a "private" region where you can play by just yourself if you prefer. At least that's the way I understand it from reading about the game. We'll see when it actually comes out I guess.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I almost cried when I saw this news months back. I can't even tell you how excited I am for this. I still play Sim City 4 when I need a Sim City kick.

----------

The multiplayer isn't exactly enforced. You are able to start a "private" region where you can play by just yourself if you prefer. At least that's the way I understand it from reading about the game. We'll see when it actually comes out I guess.

I'm a huge huge fan.

I am desperately hoping against hope that EA doesn't screw the pooch on this game. But, as I mentioned before... past history doesn't support a lot of optimism.

Heck, the whole computer gaming industry is strewn about with outlandish broken promises and wonderful demos which never go anywhere.

We'll see. But I refuse to hold my breath.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Always on online DRM. Damnit!!!!

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Maxis-Says-Always-DRM-SimCity-Necessary-43465.html

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I haven't played this game in a decade or so, and I can't wait. It looks great.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Looks a lot like Cities XL, which is good.

Not liking the sound of this always online thing though. I was playing Fallout 3 on PC last night and for about half an hour I couldn't load a save because Windows Live wasn't responding (I didn't realise when I started the game that it would only be available when online or I'd have disabled the feature, by the time I'd realised it was too late - there's no "move my saves offline" option that I could find. My internet was fine anyway, it was only Windows Live being rubbish).

Oh, and I hate having to use Origin. And I don't want to encourage EA. Maybe it'll be stealable. But then by stealing it maybe I'd be encouraging EA to get even worse about DRM etc...

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
Totally awesome! For once, I can't wait for the dead of winter to arrive! I loved playing this game way back on the Super Nintendo and then eventually on my Windows PC.
I hope it runs well on my Mac. I'll be spending many cold winter nights with this game. :D

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Uh, pricing has been announced...$60 for the limited edition, $50 for the normal. You can already preorder the LE for mac here. There are system requirements as well, though preliminary. It looks like they will be modest, though.

What's the difference between the regular edition and the limited-edition?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Wow that looks amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on this. Mac gaming is finally coming to life again. I know iOS is the main priority for Apple but there is nothing better than playing a great game on my iMac.

I wonder if real town planners use this game now. It's so realistic I wouldn't be surprised.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
I wonder if real town planners use this game now. It's so realistic I wouldn't be surprised.

As a former land planner (employed by a city once upon a time), I assure you no elected official will suggest their employees play games at work of any kind. I know the original intent of Sim City 20 years ago was to give planners this ability but that is no more.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
As a former land planner (employed by a city once upon a time), I assure you no elected official will suggest their employees play games at work of any kind. I know the original intent of Sim City 20 years ago was to give planners this ability but that is no more.

You mean city planners don't dump all their sewage into a forest and hope no one notices?

I am a bit sad that the Sim ____ franchise is less about identifying it as a simulator and more about it being a brand these days. Sim Earth was actually a decent way to show evolution.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
They simplified pipe laying? LAME

They could have added layers of complexity to compliment modern city planning, ie. alternate forms of transport. How about a gondola? Bicycle lanes?
Just looks like more of the same with worse graphics than sim 4. :(

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
The Retina MBP has way stronger specs than showing on the websites min requirements.

Right but it's also powering 4 times the resolution than a regular computer. I'm just saying I have a MBP Retina and love it but it does struggle sometimes with graphics performance because of the amount of pixels it needs to keep track of.

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I might buck the trend here and say it looks super fun.

Played the originals too, been there done that.

I do agree though that the game has been simplified, but from the looks of the demo it should be fun to play.

:)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Looks super fun! I've played every version of SimCity except 3000.

Kinda wish they'd come out with a new SimTower. That was a fun game, too.

SimTower... Man, I used to play that for hours on my Performa 5215!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.