Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jriddim

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Yeah I saw that review too. I'm not sure what problems he was having, but I was able to remove and reinstall my black Tones pretty easily without any worries of damaging my phone. :)

I'm really liking the case so far btw... I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a small low profile case with a lay on the table design.

Thanks very much, that is good to know. I should be receiving the black version in a day or so. Patiently waiting...

AppleOwl

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
How are the screen protectors that are included with this, esp the back protectors? Anyone care to comment on the quality, ease of install, etc?

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
How are the screen protectors that are included with this, esp the back protectors? Anyone care to comment on the quality, ease of install, etc?

the back protector only covers the back aluminum part not the entire back like others do.

Kaze105

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Anyone have this vs the switcheasy nude? Just wondering how good either one is.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York

Found the screen protectors pretty easy to install (did the hinge method for the first time). Quality isn't quite as good as SGP or PowerSupport, but their serviceable.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I've never heard of the hinge method. Just watched a video and I can't believe how much I've struggled with screen protectors. Can't wait to try it. :)

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I've never heard of the hinge method. Just watched a video and I can't believe how much I've struggled with screen protectors. Can't wait to try it. :)

Hinge method works really well. Used it for the last few protectors I fitted.

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Black version was shipped from the European store today. Looking forward to getting it

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Finally got mine.

It's awesome and as I anticipated its definitely better than the Speck PixelSkin HD.

It fits the phone really well. There is no play whatsoever. In a couple of YouTube reviews there are complaints about how hard this phone is to take off. Well I would rather a case be hard to take off than too lose. Because of this it just feels like this case is one with the phone. This was my biggest issue with my Speck case. With the PixelSkin HD you could feel that it was loose and, depending on where you held the phone and how much pressure you were using, you could feel the case move around on the phone's edges.

The texture of the case is very nice. It's not quite as grippy as the PixelSkin HD but it's still easy to hold and quite comfortable in the hand. It definitely takes it's design cues from the 4/4S Eclipse. It feels just as sturdy yet lighter because overall it is thinner (and so is the i5).

It is not quite perfect, though. In my opinion there are three small issues that hold this case back from being absolutely perfect. First, while the dock and headphone connectors are a great idea, they are absolutely a pain in the ass to remove. I have to use my pocket knife to remove these things because they fit so snug and so flush with the rest of the case. Second, the lock button cover doesn't really provide any button feedback. There is a slight amount of feedback but it's so subtle that it's very hard to tell if you've pressed the button or not. Lastly, and this is a little nitpicky but whatever, I feel that the volume rocker buttons are too small. At least these provide some button feedback though.

I hope that these insights help those of you who are thinking of getting this case.

I will try to post some photos later today, or tomorrow but I got the case in black and it'll look pretty much exactly the same as Poob Bubes' photos.

Last edited:

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
cool, thanks for the review. glad to hear about the fit. the volume buttons do look a little on the small side, but it sounds like they work well enough.
i ordered mine yesterday but haven't received shipping notification yet.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
do you have to buy this from the relevant store region? it would save me a lot by purchasing it on the US store compared to EU (im in the UK).

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I know this case has a slight lay on the table design but does the front lip actually overlap onto the glass? I want a case with a lay on the table design but I don't want the lip to cover the glass at all (seems like dust, etc. accumulates along the lip).

Also, is this case pretty thin and light? I only need minimal drop protection so I don't want to add a lot of bulk and weight to my phone.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
can someone take the time to measure the thickness of this case with the phone in it?

thanks!

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I know this case has a slight lay on the table design but does the front lip actually overlap onto the glass? I want a case with a lay on the table design but I don't want the lip to cover the glass at all (seems like dust, etc. accumulates along the lip).

Also, is this case pretty thin and light? I only need minimal drop protection so I don't want to add a lot of bulk and weight to my phone.

Yes, there is a lip to provide lay on the table design but no, the lip does not encroach onto the glass.

I would say the case is moderately thin and light. I wouldn't put it into the category of the Incase Snapcase or the Incipio Feather, though.

can someone take the time to measure the thickness of this case with the phone in it?

thanks!

Roughly 0.9cm? I don't have super precise callipers and used a ruler so please take my measurement with a grain of salt.

----------

do you have to buy this from the relevant store region? it would save me a lot by purchasing it on the US store compared to EU (im in the UK).

Yes, if you want it shipped to an International location you have to buy from the corresponding International store. Shipping to Vancouver, Canada (which as you probably know is quite close to America) is $15.00. :(

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
thanks for the measurement. that's a nice surprise. that checks in about what my belkin sheer candy grip is and also adds more protection. (mine measures at just a smidge less than 1cm...i'm guessing 0.97cm using my engineering ruler with fine gradations and then converting to cm)

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Here are some quick photos.

Sorry about the framing. I only have two lenses and neither are macro. This is my closest focusing lens and it's a 35mm. I probably could have cropped but I got lazy.

358xy13.jpg

nc0og.jpg

2hdqibk.jpg

1zyh66v.jpg

mw70xe.jpg

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Looks like another winner

I have to quit reading these threads . . . I can't resist! This one looks nice. Hopefully it is not too difficult to put on. I actually gave up on one of my cases (my OVRMLD).

Nice color options too.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Yes, there is a lip to provide lay on the table design but no, the lip does not encroach onto the glass.

I would say the case is moderately thin and light. I wouldn't put it into the category of the Incase Snapcase or the Incipio Feather, though.

Thank you for the response. That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I'd love a case as thin as the Snap or the Feather, but unfortunately cases like that usually leave the top and/or bottom unprotected. They also tend to leave the buttons uncovered and I want mine covered. Basically I'm looking for the thinnest case I can find that covers the buttons, protects both sides, the top and the bottom and has a lay on the table design without overlapping onto the screen. Kind of a rare combination of features but that's what I'm personally looking for. Not sure if this is it or not but I'm going to give it a shot (at least until Magpul comes out with an Executive Field Case for the 5)

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I gotta say this case does look nice!! I currently have Swictheasy's 'Nude' case but I removed it after a days usage ( finger print magnet + volume buttons clicked WAY too easily at the slightest touch).

I would order this case but I think I am going to hold out for Switcheasy's 'Rebel' series for the iPhone 5. I bought a ton of cases for my iPhone 4 but always found myself falling back to the 'Capsule Rebel'.

#

dilgit

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Can't wait to get mine. I ordered two, white and black. Should be in my hands on Sunday.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Anyone knows how long they take to ship? I ordered mine on Friday from the International Store....need to have my iPhone 5 covered for peace of mind!

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I've had this for about a week and a half. I like it for the most part, but I don't like how the lip leaves the edges of the screen exposed. I feel like this is just asking for dirt to get inside. Also, the lip is so tiny, I don't feel comfortable laying it screen down. I'm not 100% sure the screen is fully protected. I had the Pixelskin HD on the 4S, and I thought that lip protected the phone better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.