Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EltonT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
My first White 64GB iPhone 5 had a loose power button which rattles every time the phone vibrates and is noticeably loud when I get an alert while I'm on the phone. Got my replacement yesterday, I was happier because this one was scuff-less but the power button issue still exists so I'm wondering if all iPhone 5s out there have this problem.

kevin222

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
I have two iPhone 5's and they both have the same "loose" lock button. My 4S had one too, but not as prominent. It is a little annoying when it vibrates and makes a slight rattle but I do think it's just the way the phone is. One of my phones does do it more than the other and I've considered swapping it but feel like I'll just get the same thing in another phone...

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
mine also does this too execpt i dont hear it when it vibrates
if i shake the phone close to my ear i hear a small rattle of the power button
but its no biggie i dont have a problem with it
besides all the iphones 5 i have messed around with have the same issue soo
i am not sure if it is a defect but imho nothing to go and b1tch and moan about and exchange ur iphone still love my iphone 5 though :rolleyes:

AnnoyediPhoner

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Mine too! It's so annoying but I wonder if its even worth another trip to Apple. This is my third decide. 2 were swapped right out of the box due to scuffs. The third actually had an issue where the screen was lifting on the lower left corner!

Apple really missed the quality check boat here.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I noticed today that mine seems to rattle a little bit now. I never noticed until today so I don't know if it suddenly started to happen or not or when but I don't seem to notice it when it vibrates. Nothing is really wrong with my phone so I don't think I'm gonna bother trying to get a new one.

dcingie

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2008
Cary, NC
C'mon Apple... Seriously?

I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the white 32gb iPhone and this was one of the first things that I noticed!! Soooo frustrating! Apple spent so much time talking about how they take a picture of the back of the phone with such a high powered camera to obtain the best fitting components, and all that bs, and then they can't properly fit an on/off button?

This is so frustrating and affects my enjoyment of the phone. This may not bother most, but to me it is frustrating. My iphone 4 feels like a better built piece of equipment. I want to swap my iPhone 5 out for a new one, but everyone says that all the phones are like this, so I'm not sure that this would accomplish anything.

I'm going to try to get my hands on the new iPhone demo units at the Apple Store tomorrow and see if this truly is experienced on all their units. I will update to this post once I do. If it isn't experienced on all the phones, you better believe I'll be scheduling an appointment with the genius bar ASAP. Thank you everyone for posting and showing me that I'm not the only person that this bothers! :(

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's normal. Some do & some don't.

Apple has loosened it's quality standard to enable Foxconn to pump out as many units as humanly possible.

Too bad it's not "humanely".

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
this is the only issue my launch day 5 has.

not going to swap it out incase I get a phone with more issues

EltonT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Got my second replacement and the rattling is gone for now, hopefully there aren't other problems with this unit..

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Mine rattles but I kind of like it because I can never feel my phone vibrate and the rattle is just loud enough for me to hear it and not disturb anyone else

dcingie

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2008
Cary, NC
I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the white 32gb iPhone and this was one of the first things that I noticed!! Soooo frustrating! Apple spent so much time talking about how they take a picture of the back of the phone with such a high powered camera to obtain the best fitting components, and all that bs, and then they can't properly fit an on/off button?

This is so frustrating and affects my enjoyment of the phone. This may not bother most, but to me it is frustrating. My iphone 4 feels like a better built piece of equipment. I want to swap my iPhone 5 out for a new one, but everyone says that all the phones are like this, so I'm not sure that this would accomplish anything.

I'm going to try to get my hands on the new iPhone demo units at the Apple Store tomorrow and see if this truly is experienced on all their units. I will update to this post once I do. If it isn't experienced on all the phones, you better believe I'll be scheduling an appointment with the genius bar ASAP. Thank you everyone for posting and showing me that I'm not the only person that this bothers! :(

Hey guys, as promised, I wanted to update you all as to the status of my loose iphone power button. I just returned from the Apple Genius Bar, where the Genius saw my issue, confirmed that it is indeed wobbly, and swapped out my phone for me. Before talking with him, I did check the demo phones just to cover my bases and to have grounds to challenge him if he were to try to tell me that the loose button was within the "normal range," but that never became an issue as the phone was swapped out without any hassle. Just wanted to share this experience with everyone out there since these forums have helped me so much, and I wanted to contribute. Thanks for reading.

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Lucky you got a reasonable guy. I went in with the same issue that I noticed on my replacement unit (orignal replaced due to syncing issues). When I accepted it I only checked for scratches and the screen. At the genius bar I was told the looseness of the power button is "within spec, there's no functionality loss" although he agreed it's loose. Also said since it's a replacement I'm trying to replace it's harder to prove faultiness because they all are individually checked and certified.

This power button rattling around really gets to me, so I went about it another way and got a ********** extreme cut side wrap. The thing is so precisely cut there's minimal give around the buttons, so for now it's as silent as it's going to be.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
My button is really wobbly also and makes noise when the phone is moved, didn't really think it was a problem since the button is aluminum I have a feeling all of them will do this after a while since its a soft metal and may become more compact the more you press it.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I have this issue too, but it isnt worth it for me to get a replacement. Its kind of ridiculous to get a new phone just because of a tiny rattle from the power button

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I had this ISSUE on an iPhone 5 and returned it, waited a month and bought a new one without ANY problems. I'm enjoying a rattle-free iPhone 5.

Anyone with this issue should return their phone or live with it. It won't heal itself.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
cant believe I am saying this but my loose power button has fixed itself on its own, it is now solid and completely firm

i guess it just needed time to break in

Razaryel

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
cant believe I am saying this but my loose power button has fixed itself on its own, it is now solid and completely firm

i guess it just needed time to break in

Sorry to necro this thread but I can't send PMs or I would have just PMd InfinitiG

Did this really happen? The rattle went away after a while and it's now super solid? No more rattle? I have the rattling loose lock button on my 5s and haven't gone to the apple store yet to check but suspect that the display ones will have rattle too. I'm suspecting it might be something like the 4 had on release week with the yellow screen spots where the adhesive hadn't had enough time to bond, and the issue went away for everyone after a few days.

I know you already said it stopped rattling but just want to confirm that it's completely gone after about 3 months of ownership.

It's not really a big deal in the first place but if I know it'll go away eventually that would be comforting to know. Or if I go to the store and none of the display ones rattle I'll think about chancing an exchange, but this current phone is perfect aside from the lock rattle so I wanna just avoid the hassle.

Thank you

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Sorry to necro this thread but I can't send PMs or I would have just PMd InfinitiG

Did this really happen? The rattle went away after a while and it's now super solid? No more rattle? I have the rattling loose lock button on my 5s and haven't gone to the apple store yet to check but suspect that the display ones will have rattle too. I'm suspecting it might be something like the 4 had on release week with the yellow screen spots where the adhesive hadn't had enough time to bond, and the issue went away for everyone after a few days.

I know you already said it stopped rattling but just want to confirm that it's completely gone after about 3 months of ownership.

It's not really a big deal in the first place but if I know it'll go away eventually that would be comforting to know. Or if I go to the store and none of the display ones rattle I'll think about chancing an exchange, but this current phone is perfect aside from the lock rattle so I wanna just avoid the hassle.

Thank you

Yes, my launch day 5 came with a loose rattling power button, it got stiff after use, no more rattle till this day. If thats your only issue, dont worry about it.

Razaryel

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Greatly appreciate the response InfinitiG. When I went in the other day every single display phone also had this issue (except for one white one, and I checked like 10 phones for the lock buttons). So I know I don't have a lemon, they're almost all like this in the start.

You have given me peace of mind ^_^

cvconde

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Once enough dirt and pocket lint gets in under the power button, it will tighten right up! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.