Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
We've got:

- The new Nexus phone (or maybe several)
- The rumored 32 GB Nexus 7
- Lumia 920
- HTC 8X
- HTC One X +
- iPad Mini
- Microsoft Surface coming this month

Plus the new iPhone 5.

I'm trying to decide between all of those. I'm more in need of a new tablet though.

Anyone else thinking of buying one of those?

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I just got the nexus 7 it's so awesome. I love how small it is. I also have an ipad2 so it's pretty sweet. Though it won't be sweet when the gf finds out >:p lol

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Definitely very excited to see what the Nexus line brings. I'm glad other manufacturers are getting a go at it.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
microsoft surface the legit though that you can run full OS programs on not the rt that comes Oct 24

although the rt comes free with office which is cool

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
It's a great season for gadgets. But my very hard decision is between a new nexus and the lumia 920. It's going to be a hard one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Interested in Microsoft Surface to see how it impacts the tablet market, and to see the reams of people frustrated because the difference between Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 isn't so clear.

Shop staff in retail outlets can be pretty thick as it is and often dish out platefuls of misinformation to customers for a sale, I can see lots of confusing coming in regards to the Windows 8 & RT rollout....

Despite that I'm interested in the device as I think it looks nicely designed.

Shame Microsoft MVP's don't get hardware discounts ;)

(if the iPad mini has greater screen resolution than 1024x768 then I may get one too, after the New iPad I cant go back to blocky pixels, especially as I'd only really be buying it for iBooks)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Any thoughts on what the new nexus devices might cost? I had a galaxy nexus from google at 350$ but that was well after launch.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Any thoughts on what the new nexus devices might cost? I had a galaxy nexus from google at 350$ but that was well after launch.

Typically in the $530-550 range. But I don't know, the new one might be such a beast of a device that it'll propel it up to the $599 range.

I believe there will be a Galaxy Nexus 2 that is a spec-bump to the current GN that'll maintain an entry price of either the same $350 or at most $399. If that helps.

My big question is... if the HTC Nexus 5 (as in 5" phablet) is real, how much is that sucker going to cost unlocked? I'm not particularly interested in it, just trying to imagine the price! :eek:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
That's helpful. Thanks. The price is making me lean towards the Lumia. But the OS is making me want nexus. Sigh lol

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I hate being a Verizon customer when it comes to getting the best phones. I haven't heard that any of these phones coming to Verizon. So annoying.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/exclusive-more-details-on-lgs-forthcoming-nexus-r788

LG Optimus Nexus "confirmed" specs:

- The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same
- Quad Core Snapdragon S4 processor
- 2GB RAM
- 1280x768 True-HD IPS screen
- On screen soft keys (of course)
- 8 Megapixel Camera
- No microSD slot
- 8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially)
- Non-removable battery
- Wireless charging built in
- The retail name of the device is yet to be decided.

Fine, no micro SD slot (used to this by now) but only 8 or 16 gigs? What the dill? Everything else sounds dandy.

EDIT:

My comments in bold:

- The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same. Thank goodness!
- 2GB RAM
- 1280x768 True-HD IPS screen. I'm ready for a non-AMOLED screen. Rock on.
- On screen soft keys (of course). Right on.
- 8 Megapixel Camera What happened to 13? Fine, I guess.
- No microSD slot Fine.
- 8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially). FAIL in many many ways.
- Non-removable battery Yes. Very okay with this. This indicates finally a more sturdy, premium build, I hope.
- Wireless charging built in. Very interesting!
- The retail name of the device is yet to be decided. Thank goodness x 10. Because "LG Optimus G Nexus" sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
- 8 Megapixel Camera What happened to 13? Fine, I guess.
- No microSD slot Fine.
- Non-removable battery Yes. Very okay with this. This indicates finally a more sturdy, premium build, I hope.
- Wireless charging built in. Very interesting!
- The retail name of the device is yet to be decided. Thank goodness x 10. Because "LG Optimus G Nexus" sounds absolutely ridiculous.

If the 8X gets raked over the coals for minimal storage, I hope this one does too. 8GB on a flagship smartphone is absurd. And the non-removal battery thing; I thought the Android crowd loved to crucify the iPhone over not being able to pull the battery, or having expandable storage? Now this is a good thing? I'm confused.

You could call it the (e)L GOGN. :p

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
My comments below:

- The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same - hoping for rounded body for hand comfort

- Quad Core Snapdragon S4 processor - awesome
- 2GB RAM - awesome
- 1280x768 True-HD IPS screen - would never buy an AMOLED screen so great

- On screen soft keys (of course) - great as long as the power button is not on top. that takes a lot to get to.

- 8 Megapixel Camera - fine by me
- No microSD slot = fine by me

- 8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially) - eh, 16 if fine with me

- Non-removable battery - cool
- Wireless charging built in - YES! this was one thing on the Lumia i wanted
- The retail name of the device is yet to be decided. - doesent matter

[/B][/QUOTE]

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I thought the Android crowd loved to crucify the iPhone over not being able to pull the battery, or having expandable storage? Now this is a good thing? I'm confused.

I think the Nexus line is ready for a more premium build. Jelly Bean (even ICS) has gotten to a point where I've never had to do a "battery-pull" to reboot and the battery life has gotten to a point where it's amazingly superb and long lasting.

I think the Nexus line is ready to up their hardware and build quality game. I've said this many times in the past too.

I am sure there will be many Android fans up in arms over non-removable battery (they are already if you visit some of the other forums).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm looking at the iPad Mini or the new Nexus phone, one of the two or possibly both. Been waiting on a smaller iPad for a long time, and now that the Final Draft app is out, I think I would really love it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
My concern with the iPad Mini is that it could be left out of important features in future ios updates because it's the mini and it may have lower hardware than the new iPad.

I'm more excited about the surface. I really want to try it out in person. I hope I don't have to wait 2 more months for a shop to receive it here.

The Lumia 920 is also starting to interest me more and more.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
That's an understandable concern. I would be the type to upgrade the Mini every year, but even then it could fall behind in what it can do. But I'm excited for it to be released.

Not liking the Nexus rumors too much. I like the LG Optimus G design, but giving it a non-removable battery and only 16GB of storage would be bad. I'd be much more interested in an improved version of the Galaxy Nexus.

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm very interested in the Microsoft Surface, depending on what the price for the RT version ends up being. I'm a little worried that the screen resolution won't be as high as I would prefer though.
I'm also interested in the Nook HD+ as any tablet I get will be more for media consumption than productivity and I'm already invested in B&N's products as I have a Nook Simple Touch.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Quite disappointed by this LG Nexus if unveiled specs are close to those.
8/16 GB, no SD Slot, no removable battery??
This one can not beat SG3 even 7 months after launch...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Totally agree--this is the only rumored spec that is a huge letdown if true. If you're going to make it a unibody style build with no removable battery and no expandable memory, at least provide a useable amount of memory.

I'm looking forward to trying out a Lumia 920, checking out the MS Surface (both models) and how they match up to what's already on the market. While I'm curious about the iPad mini (ideal size for my kids), I decided to pick up a Nexus 7 and am putting it through its paces. And I'm sure this will also illicit groans in this sub-forum but I'm thoroughly enjoying my new iphone 5. Good time to be a gadget geek! :D

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
We've got:

- The new Nexus phone (or maybe several)
- The rumored 32 GB Nexus 7
- Lumia 920
- HTC 8X
- HTC One X +
- iPad Mini
- Microsoft Surface coming this month

Plus the new iPhone 5.

I'm trying to decide between all of those. I'm more in need of a new tablet though.

Anyone else thinking of buying one of those?

The new Nexus. Was interested in a Lumia 920 but now it is exclusive to AT&T so wont be getting that. Ill check out the 820 though i guess and maybe the HTC 8X if it comes to T-Mobile.

I dont have a itch to get a tablet and dont currently own one.

----------

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/exclusive-more-details-on-lgs-forthcoming-nexus-r788

- The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same
- 2GB RAM
- 1280x768 True-HD IPS screen
- On screen soft keys (of course)
- 8 Megapixel Camera
- No microSD slot
- 8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially)
- Non-removable battery
- Wireless charging built in
- The retail name of the device is yet to be decided.

Fine, no micro SD slot (used to this by now) but only 8 or 16 gigs? What the dill? Everything else sounds dandy.

Deal breakers for me. I wont be getting that. Too bad these makers always leave out key things. Just wish they would include everything. Id rather have a SD slot than wireless charging. That is something i can do without.
EDIT:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I am getting less and less interested in the Lumia 920 the more I look at the HTC One X+ and the rumored new Nexus.

The HTC One X+ looks great to me but I worry I might get sick sense and not getting the new updates fast enough. (I guess I could just flash but eh, that gets annoying too)

The things I worry about on the Nexus is having to pay full price (obviously) and not being able to keep my best buy insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.