Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcarey5225

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Formatting Issue

Hello,

does anyone get rid of photo printing issue? I have similiar expirience with Windows and Mac AirPrint Activator - works fine for printing from Safari, Mail app, PDF.. But when i try to print photos from album, it redirect priting to manual tray on printer (same on Xerox Phaser and HP printers..). I understand, that its "thinking" that i should use photo paper (and put it to manual tray) but i wants to print on regular letter or A4 paper.

It can be corrected in printer settings on computer (instead auto select tray - use predefined tray only) but i have printers with more than one tray and want to use them :)

I'm having similar issues :/ In Windows, my printer (HP Officejet 4500) is set to grayscale, fast draft, A4. However, whenever I print from my iPhone, it prints in the photo paper sized, high quality, colour print :(

Is there a currently a way to resolve this issue?

Jack :)

Roy F

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Round Rock, Tx
I installed this and the registry fix and the printer now shows up on the IPad. I however still have the lock. I tried enabling guest and rebooting and I still have the lock.

I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit), any other suggestions. My computer does not have multiple accounts. It logs in automatically on boot up.

I just installed on Windows 7 with Canon MX870 and all worked flawlessly. I also had the lock icon on the printer when found and had to make the Guest changes described in the instructions. There are two steps (three changes) to enabling Guest, did you do them both? The first is to enable the Guest account on the PC via Control Panel. When you first do that, it will make you select an account on reboot, until you make the settings to let it auto-logon and select an account. Since you don't mention this and it is still auto-logged on after reboot, I suspect you forgot to do this. The second step is to run the software installer for AirPrint again, Stop the service, make two changes there (perhaps you only did one?) - choose to use Guest Account Auth AND tick the "Enable Guest Account" box, then start the service.

BTW - Huge thanks to JasonHD for these instructions. This eliminates the need to purchase an app in the App Store, which is kind of a big deal, since I have 4 iPhones and one iPad in my home.

Roy

Roy F

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Round Rock, Tx

stormtrader

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Great Instructions

JasonHD,

Great instructions, I followed them and my Printers are working GREAT.

Many Thanks, stormtrader

Lukesms

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Service restart

Hi,
I installed everything and it works... Once, every time I print something I have to go and physically restart the AirPrint service, is this a known issue? Is there a work around? Running win 7 ult 64 installed AirPrint as per 64bit instructions. Thanks

yash21

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Uninstall

Hello,
your solution worked perfectly and thank you so much for it. But some times it just stops working and i get problems with my printer such as refusing to work through your AirPrint solution or even normally when connected to the PC with a cable.
This gets in the way especially when i need to work. So i wish to absolutely UNINSTALL the everything that . how do i do that? there are some "registry entries" which i am not quite sure i uderstand.

Please help!

regards

huu

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Upgrade ipad 3 to IOS 6 When printing pictures, it print small picture on center of page instead of full page like before, anyone know the fix for this yet? web pages and pdf print full page as before

Last edited:

huu

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah i downloaded the latest ver 2. (seem to be the same ver 2 that already have) Doesnt work correctly when printing photo. I think "working on IOS 6" means that v2 also meant to work with ios6 its hasnt been corrected for ios6 yet (as ver2 is corrected for ios5)? Anyone try print from camera roll to A4 on IOS 6?

huu,

from the first post:

When iOS 5 came out, corrections were needed, now the same with iOS 6 :(.

Last edited:

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
HP Photosmart 3310 all-in-one, its at least 6-7 years old, post #1 worked like a charm!
Windows 7 64-bit, iOS6

thank you OP for posting this thread and the solution.

Last edited:

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
IOS 6 update causes problems

Hello First time on this forum so apologise if not done properly
I have been using your AirPrint Windows fix for over a year & it worked fine
Did the IOS 6 update & no longer working

The I pad shows the printer as being available as before no padlock
Choose the printer & Click on Print & get message Connection to Printer fine
About 10/15 seconds later this window disappears as if everything was working fine & then about 30 seconds later a window pops up
Printer is not connected Cancel or Continue
Continue does nothing more than Cancel
You say that the V2 version works with IOS 6 but I downloaded the zip again & the files are the same ones downloaded over a year ago
Have Apple done their thing again ???
Any ideas please
Thanks in advance for any help

tfarragher

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
2 Questions

1. Is there a way this function will work without ending up with 2 Windows user accounts? I installed this and when I restarted Windows there was my usual account and an AirPlay account.

2. It doesn't seem to start automatically even though I have selected Auto on Service Startup. Has anyone else had this problem?

TIA

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
AirPrint + user account

1. Is there a way this function will work without ending up with 2 Windows user accounts? I installed this and when I restarted Windows there was my usual account and an AirPlay account.

2. It doesn't seem to start automatically even though I have selected Auto on Service Startup. Has anyone else had this problem?

TIA
I have been playing around with this for a few days as printing capability lost since moving to IOS 6 on Ipad. At one stage I clicked AirPrint in the user account window (trial & error) and ended up with an AirPlay account. I went back and clicked use Guest Account + enable Guest Account & then went back to the Windows Control panel then to the Users Account & simply deleted the AirPlay account.
From what I can gather the best way is to
1 Use the Windows User Account Auto Click on Start & restart computer.
If you go back to the Installer & see that Remove AirPrint is selected you can be pretty sure that the thing is working. You should at this stage see your printer in the Apple device with a lock next to the printer. To be sure everything is in place you'll have to have a look in the registry
HKEY local machine
system
CurrentControlSet
Services
AirPrint should show up
The imagepath should have airprint.exe plus a number of supplementary parameters added by the 32 or 64 bit addition
Bonjour has to be present too.
If you get the lock then just follow the instructions about enabling the Guest account in the windows control panel then use Guest account & enable guest account box.
This worked fine for me up to 2 weeks ago when I installed IOS 6
I'm waiting to see if anybody else has the same problem
Hope this helps All the best

Last edited:

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
*V.2 now supports both 32/64Bit* Working on iOS 6
(Download source link no longer works and has been removed from this post, download the attached .zip file below as an alternative!)

Hello :D,

The program “AirPrint Installer” enabled windows users to install the AirPrint service. This allowed iOS devices to print to shared printers on the network, via AirPrint, that don't natively support it. However, iOS 5 broke this neat windows service.

I have made two .reg files (32/64Bit) to fix the AirPrint service, allowing iOS 5.x devices to use AirPrint through a Windows PC. I have attached a zip file containing both .reg fixes and the installer.

Instructions:

After extraction you should have three files:
- "AirPrint_Installer.exe"
- "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg"
- "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg"

1. Run "AirPrint_Installer.exe" and then click on "Install AirPrint Service".

2. Run the "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg" or "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg" to install the iOS 5 fix (Choose the correct file for you operating system, 32 Bit or 64 Bit Windows).

3. Go back to "AirPrint_Installer.exe", make sure "Service Startup" is set to "Auto" and click "Start".

4. Restart computer.

If there is a locked icon next to the printer on the iOS device enable the guest account in windows (Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Turn the Guest Account on). Then in the "AirPrint_Installer.exe" choose to use Guest Account Auth and tick the "Enable Guest Account" box. Then click "Update". You will then need to restart. If you want windows to automatically log you in on startup, type "netplwiz" into the start menu search box, hit enter. Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, and then hit Apply. You’ll see a username and password box. Enter in the appropriate information here and hit OK..

I hope people will find this helpful, please spread the word...

Thanks,

JasonHD :)

Credits for the Installer .exe file go to http://www.elpamsoft.com/

I have to apologise to you. Following my message 2 days ago I realised that I had enabled the airprint installer in the Windows firewall instead of airprint.exe. Everything is working again Silly me !!!

akmil.abdulah

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I am posting to this thread as a last ditch effort before I give up on this Airprint thing. I have been using it for a long time and worked great, ever since iOS 4.3 and all the way through iOS 5 and even for a little bit on iOS6. However, for some mysterious reason it stopped working on all my iOS devices a few weeks ago. Now, all I see from my iPad 2, iPhone 4 and iPod 4th is the disappointing message "No AirPrint Printers Found"

At home, I am using a Windows 2003 server machine as the host and I have two HP printers networked on the same network. Have uninstalled and reinstalled both Airprint and the Bonjour service several times, tried the registry fix for iOS5, etc. I've even tried alternate solutions such as Fingerprint, and Netgear Genie to no avail. I've also tried removing and reinstalling the printer drivers. I am making sure all the details are correct. The printers are shared, the guest account is enabled, no firewalls are enabled, the router, the printers, the iOS devices have all been rebooted, both the Bonjour and Airprint services start up fine. Am I missing something?

I am thinking maybe the problem is with my Windows 2003 PC or somewhere on my network, but I have no idea. Printing from the 2003 server works fine, by the way, and also from any other PC at home I have no problems printing. The instructions on the first post of this thread say V2, but the Airprint installer still says version 1.3. Is this the correct version I should be using? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

AndyKing1

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
don't give up!

I followed the instructions to the letter and installed Airprint on Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Works perfectly on the wife's iPhone 4 (OS5) but not in my brand new iPad (OS6). Conclusion must be that it is something in OS6 blocking it.
A solution would be very welcome.
Thanks for a great app.
All the best
Andy

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
The same thing happened when iOS 5 came out. Everyone will have to wait for an iOS 6 fix.

Edit: Maybe the final release of iOS 6 changed things.

Last edited:

wademercer

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Help with Airprint!

I have downloaded the program and installed it on my PC and ran the 64 bit fix. restarted and then tried to print fro my ipad. Services are started and set to auto. When I click print and then select printer on my ipad (or iphone), none of our network printers are listed. All of them are shared.

I am on a windows 7 machine with 10 network printers installed. We are a pc school, but are considering requiring all high school students to have an iPad this coming fall. But we need a printing solution before this will work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Wade
wmercer@fairhill.org

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
So is this working for most people under iOS 6 or are the issues silly user mistakes (like the prior poster who set the wrong firewall exception)

akmil.abdulah

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I am not sure if it is iOS 6 the problem because others have posted here saying they are printing from iOS 6. I thought about that possibility, so I tested with an iPod still using iOS5.1.1 and it didn't work for me. I think there's something else wrong.

chuckycheeze

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Ok this is my first post, and I saved it just for you OP! Thank you for saving me the time and money from having to deal with the shady practices of FingerPrint. I read articles about how people who purchased their first app would get the new version free. Then it became FingerPrint 2, then previous users only got a discount, etc etc. They also shot the price up from $8 to $20.

It's nice to know there's people out there who are just trying to help, without capitalizing on our ignorance! Thank you sir!! :cool:

dothedew

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Windows 8

Will this work with Windows 8? Is the registry merge compatible with Windows 8?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.