Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
Hey guys,

I wrote an article about the state of mac gaming. Where we are and where we are going.

It is doing pretty well on Reddit so I decided to share it with you:

http://macgamerhq.com/the-state-of-mac-gaming/

All your comments and suggestions are more than welcome!
I don't really understand this...

You built a reasonably powerful PC, you run OS X on it, and run your games in OS X. Sorry if I read this as being a little backwards... your games will always play better in Windows 7, they're going to be generally cheaper and if you're waiting for new releases you'll often also have them sooner.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I don't really understand this...

You built a reasonably powerful PC, you run OS X on it, and run your games in OS X. Sorry if I read this as being a little backwards... your games will always play better in Windows 7, they're going to be generally cheaper and if you're waiting for new releases you'll often also have them sooner.

Well the whole point of a hackintosh is basically to have a Mac but with different specs than what Apple offers. I do not even have windows installed right now....

I do see your point but the same applies to bootcamp / windows. Some people just does not want to boot all the time to play....

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Well the whole point of a hackintosh is basically to have a Mac but with different specs than what Apple offers. I do not even have windows installed right now....

I do see your point but the same applies to bootcamp / windows. Some people just does not want to boot all the time to play....

Currently a Hackintosh is a very real option for many people due to the lack of support the Mac Pro has been getting for the last couple of years. Many people still want a traditional desktop computer tower but want a mac, currently the Mac Pro is the worst vale for money computer I have ever seen.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I believe the games I listed as AAA mac games are all native OSX...

The last solutions (bootcamp and hackintosh) are for what I would call hardcore gamers, people that want to play all the latest games (maxed out if possible).

Otherwise, I have to agree with you, if we are going to talk about gaming in bootcamp, than I might as well call my blog Windows GamerHQ ;)

I think that I greatly admire the work you're putting in to begin a new Mac gaming site. You're basically working to cater to a niche within a niche, which isn't easy! Kudos to you!

I think that, given the off-the-charts success story that has been iOS gaming (since 2007) has eclipsed Mac gaming, and rightly so. Native Mac gaming has seemed to have lain fallow in the interim, driving some of us long-time Mac users a bit of crazy! In that interim (caused, I think, by Apple themselves by releasing Bootcamp and giving legitimacy to Windows gaming on the Mac), we've stopped hearing about efforts by porting houses to line up and develop AAA titles that aren't currently planned for Mac release. We've stopped hearing about lobbying on behalf of Mac gamers to get Windows-only titles made available (whether by the original developer or someone else).

At least to the degree that we used to before Bootcamp.

Bootcamp, Wine (and its varieties), Fusion, and Parallels, are all bandaids to heal a wound. And that wound is the paucity of new AAA, same-day titles for the Mac. (Especially cutting-edge graphical titles).

It keeps some of us gamers satisfied at best (not me), but it distracts game developers at worst. For me, if I were going to make a Mac Gaming site, it would need to be primarily focused on native games, not wineskin ports, or Windows games running in Parallels or Bootcamp. Maybe once in a while I'd feature one of those AAA Windows titles to remind readers of what we want and don't have.

The success of iOS gaming should remind us of the size of the prize. If we get developers interested in the OSX market - as small as it is - we'll have the same vibrancy of releases on OSX as we do on iOS.

Just my two cents.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
You don't even need a hackintosh for good gaming experience.

I got myself a 2009 Mac Pro for 1300$ (with 16GB RAM and a 2.66 Quad) and bought a PC GTX 570 2.5 for another 500$. You can even use a GTX 680, which has even more gaming power. I still paid less than for a iMac.
It runs perfectly fine, just to mention.

Good for you! That's a better idea than building a Hackintosh.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
When Apple switched to intel chips, it was just a matter of time when the hardware became up to par. If only DirectX only worked on macos, lol. In the meantime, if you have a nice enough system, I would just boot into windows. The latest macbooks run windows games nicely.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney

These people need their heads examined

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
These people need their heads examined

If you like Windows, good for you... some of us will not run Windows. There is not a game in existence thats worth having to install Windows to play for me... if I need Windows, then I won't play it... no big loss to me.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
If you like Windows, good for you... some of us will not run Windows. There is not a game in existence thats worth having to install Windows to play for me... if I need Windows, then I won't play it... no big loss to me.
You definitely apply to the you need your head examined comment of earlier

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I game fine on a MBP 13" 2012 with 16gb of ram. However I'm sure my gaming habits differ from others. I currently play GW2 via the beta Mac client, DIII & waiting for Torchlight II.

I'm sure this scenario differs from the WoW kiddies and the hardcore FPS folks of course.

Its hard to wrangle the "state of Mac gaming" in to one corral.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
You definitely apply to the you need your head examined comment of earlier

because you somehow love a game more than someone else? So you think people have mental problems if they don't like everything exactly the same way as you? Are you sure you aren't the one that needs an examination?

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
because you somehow love a game more than someone else? So you think people have mental problems if they don't like everything exactly the same way as you? Are you sure you aren't the one that needs an examination?
Haha great reading skills son. Hit me with more of your insight and understanding.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Haha great reading skills son. Hit me with more of your insight and understanding.

No need to be rude because someone else has a different opinion than yourself.
I also use OSX 95% of of the time. I have a hack, and I do have win7 too, but I rather not reboot every time I want to game.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France

I believe we have a troll ;)

----------

I think that I greatly admire the work you're putting in to begin a new Mac gaming site. You're basically working to cater to a niche within a niche, which isn't easy! Kudos to you!

I think that, given the off-the-charts success story that has been iOS gaming (since 2007) has eclipsed Mac gaming, and rightly so. Native Mac gaming has seemed to have lain fallow in the interim, driving some of us long-time Mac users a bit of crazy! In that interim (caused, I think, by Apple themselves by releasing Bootcamp and giving legitimacy to Windows gaming on the Mac), we've stopped hearing about efforts by porting houses to line up and develop AAA titles that aren't currently planned for Mac release. We've stopped hearing about lobbying on behalf of Mac gamers to get Windows-only titles made available (whether by the original developer or someone else).

At least to the degree that we used to before Bootcamp.

Bootcamp, Wine (and its varieties), Fusion, and Parallels, are all bandaids to heal a wound. And that wound is the paucity of new AAA, same-day titles for the Mac. (Especially cutting-edge graphical titles).

It keeps some of us gamers satisfied at best (not me), but it distracts game developers at worst. For me, if I were going to make a Mac Gaming site, it would need to be primarily focused on native games, not wineskin ports, or Windows games running in Parallels or Bootcamp. Maybe once in a while I'd feature one of those AAA Windows titles to remind readers of what we want and don't have.

The success of iOS gaming should remind us of the size of the prize. If we get developers interested in the OSX market - as small as it is - we'll have the same vibrancy of releases on OSX as we do on iOS.

Just my two cents.

Comments like yours confirm that it was a good idea to look for some feedback in here! I appreciate the comments.

This thread has been a gold mine for futur post ideas.
I am however very surprised to see so many people arguing about bootcamp or just installing windows on a hackintosh LOL

The whole point of a mac gaming blog is to talk native games mostly or at least discuss specific ways to simplify playing windows games on mac.
If I focus on gaming on bootcamp, then I pretty much would have a "normal" PC gaming blog....

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Good read. The biggest problem with Mac gaming are the people who instantly go "lol mac" and it seems to affect developers as well, since they have heard the sentence "nobody uses a mac for gaming lol" so many times they actually believe it. It's not as bad now as it used to be, but we still miss things like Skyrim, and have to rely on third party developers to make the Mac port a year or two later.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
For those who participated in this thread, thanks again for the comments and suggestions! There's no better way to improve....

I pretty much did again my "State of Mac Gaming" assessment, taking things a little further, using stats, graphs and comments and questions I've received. I hope you find it more helpful than my first try.

You can find it here:
The State of Mac Gaming

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

The important thing is.... I hope... REALLY HOPE... that Apple begins to realize the huge success of iOS gaming which is helping to drive sales of iOS devices and also drive development of gazillions of iOS apps.... I hope they realize that this can also happen to MacOSX (and Mac App Store) if Apple actually made more than a half-arsed effort to encourage and support Macintosh gaming.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
As much as I love OS X, I still game on Windows.
Games jut run smoother in Windows environment - thanks to DirectX.
It's time for Apple to come up with something competitive to DirectX!

I have a really beasty machine, with top-noth CPU and top-notch GPU, and Mafia II runs worse on OS X than Battlefield 3 does on Windows.
I don't really care about 30s lost in rebooting into Windows (although I rather care that Windows is just not as stable, intuitive and smooth as OS X), but for real gaming, it's still years ahead.

So without any major update on OpenGL or the release of something else, Mac will always be behind Windows in terms of gaming. Plus, the majority of Macs have GPU's that really aren't made for gaming. Only the really expensive top-of-the-line iMacs and MBPs offer something good.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
its a shame when the best os x games are ios ports

the windows wrapped ports arent even worth mentioning.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France

We do have some top-notch native ports from Aspyr and Feral... I mean, yes, mac gaming is still years behind windows gaming but to play Borderlands 2 and Arkham City on the Mac is way better than what we had only a couple of years before.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

This is not entirely true.
The Dragon Age 2 port was for me both stable and fast, this can not been said about many native ports.

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
Just to say thath I like the site very much... good luck for your intent...

The most important thing for mac gaming I think is the mac version game should be released at the same date of the pc version... waiting months for a conversion is a pity.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I notice that Aspyr is currently running a Mac Game Sale. This past week alone, I was tempted and was close to purchasing 2 Aspyr titles. And then I backed down because I read so many negative reviews of the 2 games I wanted to buy.

Here is my new philosophy. Maybe I will make this my permanent forum sig.

I'd rather pay $45 for a glitch free game that was up-to-date and relatively bug free, rather than pay a discounted price of $20 for a game that frequently crashes (or incompatible) on my iMac because the game has not been updated/patched for months.

----------

Just to say thath I like the site very much... good luck for your intent...

The most important thing for mac gaming I think is the mac version game should be released at the same date of the pc version... waiting months for a conversion is a pity.

I disagree a little. I am willing to wait for the MacOSX version to lag a little behind (maybe a month) the Windows version if it means the Mac version will be relatively bug free and stable release. One of the problems I noticed is that the "open betas" are often for Windows only. What that means is that the Mac versions are rarely fully tested for bugs or hardware compatibilities. Nor is there time to optimize the code for Mac-specific hardware and OSX. As soon as the Mac version is "finished" it is instantly distributed and released to the public without proper amount of testing. That is totally stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.