Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
iPad Mini vs iPod Touch Pricing

Any thoughts on what the pricing would be for the iPad Mini? Can't be more than an iPad, but could it be less than an iPod Touch? Nexus 7's and Kindles are in the $200 range. Curious where they go with this...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I ordered on the 24th and it says for shipping 'October'. Plus it's a (RED) with engraving. It'll be a while, still it looks good. I'm sure it will be very popular.

----------

Any thoughts on what the pricing would be for the iPad Mini? Can't be more than an iPad, but could it be less than an iPod Touch? Nexus 7's and Kindles are in the $200 range. Curious where they go with this...

A wild guess would be probably in the $150 to $175 off iPad prices... Stay tuned...

----------

I'm interested in what colors you guys choose, I find the iPod Touch hideous in all colors except for black/white. Not to mention the iPod Nano with its 'interface'…

I like the red ones...

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

I saw an interesting article on another site that predicted the iPad Mini will be $299 for a 16gb model.
Apple likes to sell in increments of $100 . For example, on an iPhone, more space is sold in $100 increments.

And when comparing the 32gb iPod Touch ($300) vs a 16gb iPad 2 ($400) to figure out the price, it follows this general rule.
You'll go from the iPod touch, (and in simple terms for the consumers mind) add $100 for the bigger display, and subtract $100 for having less storage, comes back to the $299 price. I suppose it could be $349, but that's a huge difference vs a Kindle Fire considering what they just introduced. They probably can't go that high. And they can't undercut the iPod Touch. So $299 makes sense.

Retina and more space on iPod Touch vs non-retina, less space on iPad Mini makes it so that they can indeed share a similar starting price point.

The thing is Apple has an opportunity to go even cheaper at $249 or less and go cutthroat at Amazon and Google... and it's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. I trust that they'll know what's best for the stock.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Very tempted to take the plunge on one of these. Good to experience iOS6 with all the bells and whistles compared to my iPhone 4.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
i realize the desire on apple's side for their specific look, but i'd really like a bit more color options for the iphone like these ipod touches. this would also impact supply chain, etc. but at least a product red option for the iphone?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i realize the desire on apple's side for their specific look, but i'd really like a bit more color options for the iphone like these ipod touches. this would also impact supply chain, etc. but at least a product red option for the iphone?

agreed, been waiting for actual color choices since the 3GS

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
We can hope this will also signal the supply of extra lightning connectors to terriotories that don't yet sell the iPhone 5!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
This.

I keep trying to come up with excuses to buy an iPod, but really my iPhone does everything it can and more.

I was at a crossroads. iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5 and just drop the mobile phone and get a hotspot/use my LTE iPad as a hotspot. Ultimately I decided to just go with the iPhone 5. Better camera, better processor and I was able to get one using my sister's upgrade for $199 as opposed to the $299 "entrance fee". Yes, I understand phones have a monthly bill and thus a higher cost in the long run. But I'm on contract for 1 more year so I may cross this road again next October.

Decorative

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
These are really great. If Apple doesn't introduce the iPad mini, I will order one of these.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm interested in what colors you guys choose, I find the iPod Touch hideous in all colors except for black/white. Not to mention the iPod Nano with its 'interface'…

I agree with this. The colored backs are fine... it's that they are colored with the white front that bugs me. I prefer black front colored backs or just match the color of the bezel to the back. White/red-blue-green-etc looks cheap. Black/Red would have been my first choice.

As it is the only colors of the current line up I'd pick are White/Silver or Black/Black.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Wow, after hearing about the success of the iPhone 5 and supply constraints, I'm amazed that they're actually going to start shipping these.

They pretty much have to since they promised October. Who knows how many they will ship and I imagine some of the ship dates of the later pre-orders will be pushed back into November.

----------

I'm predicting a 16Gb for $249.

Jbach67

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
After a drought of info, finally some movement

I've kept looking at the apple site waiting for a
definite date. Don't need a $100 per month shared data scam, er plan. There's enough wifi in the world to get a lot of what I need in the touch, including Siri, passbook, and more for $0 a month. And in color with a ten cent plastic fruit loop.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

$199 for an 8GB model (same price as a 16GB iPod Touch 4th gen).

$249 for a 16GB model... cheaper than the 5th gen iTouch, but also with only half the memory.

Also, A6 processor. I think the iPad Mini could very well be faster than the iPad3, but the iPad3 is a mature product now and will be replaced just a few months after the Mini.

The Mini wouldn't be a follow-on to the iPad3, but rather a precursor to the iPad4 which I think will be ludicrously fast.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I have to wonder what the shareholders think about all the lost sales due to incompetence on apples part on having stock available. Theres only a year to sell these and every lost day is less profit.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hopefully all of the anodizing coating won't fall off on that bumpy boat ride over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.