Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFizzgig

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
I am downloading now and it's 2.04 GB... I doubt if that is HD
oh well, for that price of everything, it was too good not to get it.

If you own the Digital HD version in iTunes I think you can actually download either the HD or SD version. If you go into iTunes and check your purchased movies. On the bottom right is a checkbox "Download HD When Available". If that isn't checked, then check it. If the size next to the movie goes up then you can get the HD version. If the size stays the same, you can only download the SD version.

Last edited:

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
I just bought the HD Version on iTunes and it's downloading the SD and HD version. Sd is about 2GB and HD is a little over 4GB, so it seems the Digital is SD only:( Glad I went the iTunes route.

You do get some extras with iTunes.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
If you own the Digital HD version in iTunes I think you can actually download either the HD or SD version. If you go into iTunes and check your purchased movies. On the bottom right is a checkbox "Download HD When Available". If that isn't checked, then check it. If the size next to the movie goes up then you can get the HD version. If the size stays the same, you can only download the SD version.
I do have that checked, but maybe try that idea to see
I just bought the HD Version on iTunes and it's downloading the SD and HD version. Sd is about 2GB and HD is a little over 4GB, so it seems the Digital is SD only:( Glad I went the iTunes route.

I got Blu Ray 3D, Blu Ray, DVD, the soundtrack, digital download, and extras for the same price. I'm going to rip the Blu Ray do I'll have a HD digital copy also. I wanted to get it from iTunes, but I got way more for my money this way.

Last edited:

iFizzgig

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012

What are the extras?

Bigcase

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
MidWest
I gotta have both, 3D and Digital copy HD. So I will just sell the Blu ray, keep the 3D copy, and buy from Itunes the HD version with what I sell the blu ray/dvd for. This movie is worth it!

doctorcrentist

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
I do have that checked, but maybe try that idea to see

I got Blu Ray 3D, Blu Ray, DVD, the soundtrack, digital download, and extras for the same price. I'm going to rip the Blu Ray do I'll have a HD digital copy also. I wanted to get it from iTunes, but I got way more for my money this way.

So to clarify, the combo pack (3D,BD,DC, etc.) of Marvel's The Avengers, newly released today, does NOT include an HD digital download. The only way to get the HD digital download is from the iTunes Store, correct?

Thanks,

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
So to clarify, the combo pack (3D,BD,DC, etc.) of Marvel's The Avengers, newly released today, does NOT include an HD digital download. The only way to get the HD digital download is from the iTunes Store, correct?

Thanks,

Edited for clarity

YES CORRECT, must purchase from itunes for HD

TrackZ

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Can someone please check the bit rate of the Dolby Digital 5.1 track in the HD version of Avengers from iTunes? A program like MediaInfo will allow you to do this easily. I'm very curious to know if Apple is encoding at 640k like the DD track off a Blu-ray or if they are still using 384/448k like the audio quality on a DVD. Thanks!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
so just bought the 3d blu ray version of avengers and there is no hd download? can i re-download it in iTunes but not be charged? id like to have it in hd for my appletv too.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
so just bought the 3d blu ray version of avengers and there is no hd download? can i re-download it in iTunes but not be charged? id like to have it in hd for my appletv too.

no you can't - the best thing you can do is email apple feedback and request and option to upgrade sd versions for hd - if they had this feature it would be awesome and I would be willing to pay the difference....

for example I have movies I purchased that are now available in hd but were not at time of purchase, I would love to be able to upgrade those films....

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I started a spreadsheet of digital copies so we can all find the resolutions of copies included with bluray purchases. I started with a couple from this thread and my own collection.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhvHZp29ZPvidEdqUlJLc3FXa3U3dFlEV3dBZFhTSmc

outphase,

Hope you don't mind, but I added a "comments" column for pertinent information such as the TrueBlood and Boardwalk Empire BD sets were for the "HBO Select" branded sets only. As far as I know/read, the older HBO BD sets were SD.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
outphase,

Hope you don't mind, but I added a "comments" column for pertinent information such as the TrueBlood and Boardwalk Empire BD sets were for the "HBO Select" branded sets only. As far as I know/read, the older HBO BD sets were SD.

Good call. I didn't know the older sets even had digital copies.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The older sets didn't have any. Only the HBO Select versions come with DC, and they are HD.

OK, my bad. I was under the assumption that the older sets had SD digital copies. Maybe I should have checked.

Either way, I think the Comment column is a good idea.

812crew

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Question:
I have movies in my icloud that I can see on my appleTV and ipad. If I transfer those movies from my itunes on my computer to an external drive and delete them from my computer, will they still be on my appleTV and ipad??
Thanks!

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Question:
I have movies in my icloud that I can see on my appleTV and ipad. If I transfer those movies from my itunes on my computer to an external drive and delete them from my computer, will they still be on my appleTV and ipad??
Thanks!

yes they will still be there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.