Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
I just got an iPod w/colour screen and I cant figure this out, when I look at my song list for my iPod, all of the songs are 'grayed' out and I cant click on them to play them, and next to the amount of space free at the bottom of the screen there is a small black padlock and I can't drag playlists from my hard drive to the iPod... but my iPod syncs with my library and when I look on my iPod, all of my songs are on it and I can play them like normal when it;'s not plugged into the mac :confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
That's normal. The padlock and faint text are there to show that the list is only a display of what is on the iPod, and you can't manipulate it directly.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
No, it can't be unlocked. From iTunes you can only control what goes onto the iPod by changing the options and re-syncing.

You need to mount the iPod on the desktop and go in through Terminal, or use one of the third party futilities (try versiontracker.com), to extract songs or delete them directly.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
iMeowbot said:
No, it can't be unlocked. From iTunes you can only control what goes onto the iPod by changing the options and re-syncing.

You need to mount the iPod on the desktop and go in through Terminal, or use one of the third party futilities (try versiontracker.com), to extract songs or delete them directly.

Actually your wrong. There is an option for the iPod to manually manage your song list, instead of iTunes automatically updating it. Click the bottom right icon for the iPod, you should be able to figure it out from there.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Jzz is right.

In the iTunes prefs you can select to manage your iPod manually. Plus, there are dozens of applications out there to move songs back and forth - no terminal needed.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
oh yeah, i forgot about that, it's been a while since I last set up an iPod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.