Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
how do you feel about build quality? I personally don't like the feel of the materials used to build the SG3 so i wouldnt get the note 2. and the size is way too much IMO.

Software wise if you want to customize get the note 2. if you dont care and you want simple get the iPhone 5. After 5 years of the iPhone UI i am sick of it. You may be different. Also I find the iP5 even more uncomfortable to hold than my iP4. the samsung products have rounded corners and backs which make them more comfortable to hold IMO. hope that helps.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I don't think I could ever see myself comfortably using a phone that big. I notice you have a 64GB iPhone. If you got the Galaxy I can assure you that managing your music would be far from an easy task.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
PR
My signature are old lol i have a iphone 5 16gb white but really looking for the note ii

But the rumors like key lime pie or the new nexus devices i am on hold

Last edited by a moderator:

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If you want a big beautiful screen, expandable micro-SD, replaceable battery, real working micro-USB, and customizable OS, go for the Note 2. If you don't need any of those or are tied in financially to iOS apps / video, then get the iPhone 5.

madden

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
what u guys think i really tempting to note ii

Two completely different devices. What are your main wants and what will you be doing with the phone? Are you tied to iTunes? I think the answer is quite obvious. If you want a lightweight and compact device that will just be used for calls, texts, emails and light web browsing, its the iphone. If you do more multimedia like games, movies, graphics work etc..the Note would be the better choice.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Two completely different devices. What are your main wants and what will you be doing with the phone? Are you tied to iTunes? I think the answer is quite obvious. If you want a lightweight and compact device that will just be used for calls, texts, emails and light web browsing, its the iphone. If you do more multimedia like games, movies, graphics work etc..the Note would be the better choice.

anyone tied to itunes can always make the jump by going to google music. I have my music on both services. So it seamless whenever I want to listen to anything whether it be ipad or galaxy note 2.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Did we honestly need another thread, there are plenty already. ;) however as we do...

Go to a store, hold both the Note (because essentially note 2 is going to be same size or thereabouts) and the iPhone 5 in your hand and see which feels more comfortable to you.

I wish stores let you make a call with the device, seems like the most basic thing they could offer. You wouldn't go buy a TV without being allowed to see the picture.

The feeling of a bigger device being held up to your face and the getting the ear piece aligned up so you can hear everything can be finicky as the device gets bigger. May not be a problem if your using a head piece or Bluetooth, but if using a phone traditionally could also be a deal breaker.

As for android v IOS, well I personally think the pros and cons of both have them at an even play field at this current junction.

Jellybean addresses a number of Androids issues over the years, and iOS whilst as rock stable as ever, and on the iPhone 5 it is super quick, feels a little dated but in the same way that a Rolls Royce is reliable and classy, but that flashy Porsche around the corner still is tempting me...

I've personally gone for the One X, the biggest android device I've owned, and one that at times still feel a bit too big, especially when I hold it to my face/ear. I tried the Note but was just out of picture due to the size. Also have the iPhone 5.

For taking photos, texting and more importantly for me making calls I prefer the iPhone 5. Call quality is excellent, and just feels better as a phone. The camera is very good too.

For all the other stuff, messing about and tinkering with the device. Browsing the net etc., the one X beats it.

So I'm sticking with both devices for now...

Last edited:

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
If you got the Galaxy I can assure you that managing your music would be far from an easy task.

I always thought the android phones were like the blackberries (simple drag and drop??)... correct me if IM wrong...

Was thinking of switching to the Galaxy S3 when it comes over to metro PCS.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
If you want a feature phone, go for iPhone. If you want something smarter, choose wisely.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I always thought the android phones were like the blackberries (simple drag and drop??)... correct me if IM wrong...

Was thinking of switching to the Galaxy S3 when it comes over to metro PCS.

That's what I thought for the longest time as well, but then people, including friends, were telling me how much of a pain it is to put music on droids and manage them.

madden

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
That's what I thought for the longest time as well, but then people, including friends, were telling me how much of a pain it is to put music on droids and manage them.

You drag and drop, simple.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I don't own either but am asking myself the same question. I spent around 45mins with each in the 3 store and decided the Note 2 was the one for me, You might be different but for me it was better in every way.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
I regards to android- do the micro sims function like an external HD- where you can drag and drop files?

Can someone confirm? Im hearing different stories

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I regards to android- do the micro sims function like an external HD- where you can drag and drop files?

yes they do.

Can't wait for the Note 2, going to get a 64gb sd card this time, since I filled up my 16gb so easily.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

You drag and drop, simple.

Drag-and-drop copying does not work on Macs at the moment - Google's "Android File Transfer" program for Mac is currently broken on some (if not all) Android 4.x phones. Not clear if this is a problem with Android 4.x, Samsung, or OS X, but I can confirm that it doesn't work between my Note 2 and either Lion or Mountain Lion - and my Googling suggests that the problem is universal.

Using 'camera mode' doesn't work either - iPhoto sees the phone but won't transfer files correctly.

Samsung do their own Sync program ('Kies') which sort-of works, but is clunky and tempramental - but it will sync music (sort of).

Older versions of Android supported 'USB Mass Storage Mode' which worked with anything, but in recent versions they've completely replaced this with 'Media Transfer Protocol' which Windows does natively but required the Android File Transfer program on Mac.

The saving graces are:

1. Syncing files over the wire is so last year - there are all sorts of cloud-based options.

2. The Note II takes a Micro-SD memory card which you can physically plug in to a mac via a USB adapter & drag files to it (I haven't tried it yet but I don't think there's any way they could have messed that up).

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Drag-and-drop copying does not work on Macs at the moment - Google's "Android File Transfer" program for Mac is currently broken on some (if not all) Android 4.x phones. Not clear if this is a problem with Android 4.x, Samsung, or OS X, but I can confirm that it doesn't work between my Note 2 and either Lion or Mountain Lion - and my Googling suggests that the problem is universal.

Yes the Android File Transfer program does not works.

For copying files into the Android device you can use doubltwist or Airdroid. Airdroid works from any browser and you can upload or download files to and from your device over wifi. doubletwist can sync your iTunes library over wifi as well. Videos work too but doubletwist will insist on encoding them even if they already are in the supported format (mp4) and thus takes too long to copy them. I personally use Airdroid most of the time.

I think the best option for syncing music is Google Play Music. It syncs your iTunes library with playlist, podcasts and all. Once you do the hard initial work of uploading all your music (which takes quite a long time to say the least), it is really great.

While it is currently only available within the US, it can be made to work outside the US too with some trickery ;).

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
If my Android phone needed to be replaced today, my choice would be Note 2 all the way. I've seen the iPhone 5, played with it, not impressed.
700x509xMcKayla-Maroney-iPhone-5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HEOoTg-mUb.jpg

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Well i have just bought a note 2 after 4 1/2 years of iphone. I still think osx is miles ahead of windows (for my uses) and i love my new ipad but after all these years i am just bored with the iphone(ui mainly) and want change. The note 2 looks like a beast and all user reviews from owners are that at first you look at it and you think its huge, after a while of usage you couldnt go back. So here goes.. I pick it up 2moro

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
these are 2 very different devices. I say if you like android OS, dont mind the size, i say get the note 2. The iphone remains mostly unchanged so we already know what that has to offer.

I went with a S3 becuase i felt the note was too big and i like pocket phones.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Depends of what you want and need. My wife just got an iPhone 5 2 weeks ago and she's returning it today to get the Note 2. After many years with iOS she just got bored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.