Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiTzuism

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
California
Why don't you guys get a regular stand like the elago

A little tacky in my opinion. I like the purpose of a dock but to elevate my phone in such a manner as the Elago isnt exactly low profile. A little too blatant if you will.. I personally prefer the look of a low profile design.

----------

Those are the only two finishes. The ones I had were black. I never had a problem with them getting scratched, but then they pretty much stayed in one place. I don't think they would have scratched easily. Another thing I liked about them was how heavy and solid they were - very stable and not something you could accidentally bump into and send flying.
Do you have the new iphone? Hows your Ano doin? Everybody I know including myself is having scratching issues sans case. Ive noticed the same with other Anodized products ive owned. The process seems to give the piece a nice finish but ive never found it to be very resilient

janita

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
A little tacky in my opinion. I like the purpose of a dock but to elevate my phone in such a manner as the Elago isnt exactly low profile. A little too blatant if you will.. I personally prefer the look of a low profile design.

----------

Do you have the new iphone? Hows your Ano doin? Everybody I know including myself is having scratching issues sans case. Ive noticed the same with other Anodized products ive owned. The process seems to give the piece a nice finish but ive never found it to be very resilient

Yes, I have the new iPhone - black. It was in great shape out of the box. I put it in a case immediately so I've had no issues so far with it getting scuffed/scratched/etc.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I grabbed a Foundation Dock with an extra cable and car charger. Pretty neat idea and possibilites. Just have to wait another 2-3 months, but a great concept in my opinion.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
I ordered the Lightning Dock, hardwood with back support, but no connector. I'm interested to see how it looks!

wehatewires

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Thing with all new docks for iPhone 5 is that they will need to be twice as heavy so you could undock them with one hand only.
Here's vapor dock for example, even if you upgrade the cable somehow, lightning cable will still hold onto the iPhone too strong.

IMG_1769-764x1024.jpg

One solution would be to make a custom connector without the tiny divots on sides, but there's a theory that iPhone uses the spring mechanism inside to ground the pins by the divots and might hinder the usage somehow. The pins are incredibly tiny and the space between them even more so, if the connector is smaller in size or doesn't hold on perfectly the pins won't connect properly.

If you guys are interested we did some tests with a few docks and a specially developed weighing device on our website, I hope this isn't too spammy... we aren't selling anything so perhaps it's okay if we post a link? If not, please let us know. http://dockforiphone.com/docks-for-iphone-5-will-need-to-be-twice-as-heav/

Anyway we're keeping an eye on all new docks for iphones and will let you guys know if there's any new development.

Oh by the way, about the Lightning Dock, check out their video, if you look closely you can see the hand in video pushes the iphone off the dock with 2 fingers behind the iphone when undocking, it's easy to miss but if you try to undock it with one hand, the dock will simply rise up in the air.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Thing with all new docks for iPhone 5 is that they will need to be twice as heavy so you could undock them with one hand only.
Here's vapor dock for example, even if you upgrade the cable somehow, lightning cable will still hold onto the iPhone too strong.

One solution would be to make a custom connector without the tiny divots on sides, but there's a theory that iPhone uses the spring mechanism inside to ground the pins by the divots and might hinder the usage somehow. The pins are incredibly tiny and the space between them even more so, if the connector is smaller in size or doesn't hold on perfectly the pins won't connect properly.

If you guys are interested we did some tests with a few docks and a specially developed weighing device on our website, I hope this isn't too spammy... we aren't selling anything so perhaps it's okay if we post a link? If not, please let us know. http://dockforiphone.com/docks-for-iphone-5-will-need-to-be-twice-as-heav/

Anyway we're keeping an eye on all new docks for iphones and will let you guys know if there's any new development.

Oh by the way, about the Lightning Dock, check out their video, if you look closely you can see the hand in video pushes the iphone off the dock with 2 fingers behind the iphone when undocking, it's easy to miss but if you try to undock it with one hand, the dock will simply rise up in the air.

I read somewhere that you could shave/sand down the sides of the connector, allowing for easier undocking. Wouldn't this be an easy solution to that problem, for the time being?

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I'm quite annoyed that apple is restricting 3rd party accessories so much. IMO it was the wide spread availability of accessories that drew many people to the iphone

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm quite annoyed that apple is restricting 3rd party accessories so much. IMO it was the wide spread availability of accessories that drew many people to the iphone

Exactly how I feel.

Phil Schiller said most people don't need a dock because they use a clock or stereo with a built in dock for their phones but the way things are going we won't even have those for months.

I thought by now a dock would be on the market, one that doesn't need you to put your own cable through the middle. Something tiny like the 4/4S dock. But nothing thus far. I'm annoyed about this situation.

Another annoying thing is the adapters are all out of stock and even the lightening cables are out of stock. Apple has really mismanaged this whole situation and the fact they've included a chip in the cable is just going to drive up accessory prices and cause even more delays. :mad:

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
The Lightning Dock released a new color to their iPhone 5 dock lineup! Anodized Black Aluminum! I might have to pull the trigger on this, it will look great with my Slate iPhone 5. :D

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Quick update, I received my Lenntek Sonix Dock today. Needless to say, I will be returning it, as its 100% functionally useless. I'll post up a dedicated review thread in a few hours once I can get pics and vids together, but suffice to say, this is not worth the $39.99 price tag.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
i like "The Lightning Dock" the aluminum one but i dunno i feel like there will be something much simpler than this i'm just not sure i can wait longer for a dock...

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
i like "The Lightning Dock" the aluminum one but i dunno i feel like there will be something much simpler than this i'm just not sure i can wait longer for a dock...

I was just about to buy one but noticed they mention a discount code for following and tweeting about them. I have. But not sure how I get the discount code.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Switched to the SGP stand. Nice little accessory and doesn't matter the connector. Not a true dock in the sense that you can't just drop it in, but it has versatility. Portrait or landscape and will even manage the iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 3,151

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I was just about to buy one but noticed they mention a discount code for following and tweeting about them. I have. But not sure how I get the discount code.

Ditto. I'm assuming they'll DM us a discount code but I haven't seen anything from them yet.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Care to post the discount code here? I don't have a twitter account (trying to keep my life free of social networks). Thanks in advance.

Wow - a whole $3 discount for one dock! I think I'm going to wait for some more docks to come out. This thing is over $60 with shipping (including the lightning cable, back support, etc.) and I just don't think it's worth that much. I'll wait for some other companies to come out with docks and I'm sure the price will be much more reasonable. Anyway, the discount code is thelightningdock.

Myrr

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
"You have successfully applied the coupon LIGHTNING with a value of 3.50"

Ouch - this was on 2 docks. I think I may wait as well.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
i would be pay $60 no problem but the fact it's not going to ship anytime soon is a problem.

anyone know when they will ship exactly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.