Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Temporary by a couple of years maybe, and do you think Google is going to be sitting on it's laurels in the meantime?

I can understand having THA FAITH in Apple. Eventually their Maps will be pretty decent. But lets not sell the competition short here. At least on Android, Google Maps already had vector maps since 2010, already has 3D flyovers very similar to Apple's, has turn by turn voice guided navigation, has Streetview since...years, and has, as of writing, considerably more complete and accurate maps.

Apple has an uphill battle ahead of them just to catch up with what Google already offers.

I'm not arguing the thrust of what you're saying here. People who think Apple will have this fixed by Christmas are deluding themselves.

However the 'head start and not standing still' point is a little misleading.

If Google were standing still they'd be going backwards. Mapping data is a perishable product. As Apple's maps were getting better, Google's would be getting worse. So at some point the lead becomes immaterial. The difference very rapidly will be purely in who has the most data collection infrastructure. Apple are going to need to spend some serious money.

supersteve

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Ontario Canada
(btw, google took 8 years)
Where 2 Technologies Acquisition: Oct 2004
Public release: Feb 2007

So what are you trying to say...
Apple should be given 8 years to fix their maps?
Apple is going to take 8 years to fix maps

To lead in an industry you can't be 8 years behind the competition.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
that's like saying the sky is blue

of course there will be improvements but that doesn't mean they should of released a subpar product.

we still will be missing street view. that is extremely integral :mad:

No, it is like saying the sky is currently black but will eventually be blue. My point is that people should not have expected it to be as good as Google Maps from day 1, but eventually I think it will have a better user experience than Google Maps does.

In case no one notices, Apple is working on tying everything on the iPhone together better: Siri, Apples Maps, Passbook, Game Center, etc. Things will be very nice soon enough.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Brooklyn Bridge now shows up correctly and The Waterfront/Hoboken are in 3D now

pac

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 233

supersteve

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Ontario Canada
No, it is like saying the sky is currently black but will eventually be blue. My point is that people should not have expected it to be as good as Google Maps from day 1, but eventually I think it will have a better user experience than Google Maps does.

In case no one notices, Apple is working on tying everything on the iPhone together better: Siri, Apples Maps, Passbook, Game Center, etc. Things will be very nice soon enough.

But I expect the best from Apple. Not subpar products that are 8 years behind other competitors. You can't release crappy products and expect people to just wait for them to work.

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Temporary by a couple of years maybe, and do you think Google is going to be sitting on it's laurels in the meantime?

I can understand having THA FAITH in Apple. Eventually their Maps will be pretty decent. But lets not sell the competition short here. At least on Android, Google Maps already had vector maps since 2010, already has 3D flyovers very similar to Apple's, has turn by turn voice guided navigation, has Streetview since...years, and has, as of writing, considerably more complete and accurate maps. They're even starting an initiative to map out building interiors.

Apple has an uphill battle ahead of them just to catch up with what Google already offers.

Then why Google did not update the Google maps for IOS user? Because they want to keep those functions for Android user, and that sucks! That's why Apple decided to drop Google Map from their os and developed one one their own.

FYI, the building I am currently living was built 3 years ago and I was unable to locate it in Google map (both on the app and on website) until recently after Apple launched their new Map app. But I was able to find my house in Apple new Map app since the first day.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
As I have been saying since before Maps was even announced... (If they do announce the app), it will take some time for it to become better than Google Maps. Thanks for the continuous improvements. :apple:
I have been saying it since before the first iPhone was even thought of.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Anyone got the new areas to show on an iPhone 5? My wife's 4S shows a 3D Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn and Brooklyn Bridge while my iPhone 5 doesn't.

Otherwise, how do you delete the cache?

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
It would also be nice to see local business show up on the map. Look for a Chevy Dealership in my area and nothing came up?? Not even on the regular map. Google shows up just fine.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
My point is that people should not have expected it to be as good as Google Maps from day 1, but eventually I think it will have a better user experience than Google Maps does.

Why is that an unreasonable expectation?

We all paid Apple money for an iPhone. It had Google Maps which, for the most part, worked well. Apple took them away from us and promised that our user experience would only be better.

I don't care about the reasons or excuses, I simply want my phone to work as well as it did before Apple changed things.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I dont mind some of the other shortcomings on the map just would like the same vast number of locations to show up.

I'm confused.... so Google maps has been using outdated info on your business for X period of time.... and you were frusterated that Apple also used that same old info (but hadn't been mad about google maps?)... I guess I'm asking why did you wait until a week after iOS 6 launch to update google maps?

You're right, I should have been more specific. Actually Google had my business listed twice. They had the correct and incorrect info (organically I would assume). I hadn't realized it until I had noticed the error in the Maps app. So yes, all Google had to do was remove mis-information and remove a marker.

I am just frustrated at the lack of acknowledgment, but I understand they are being bombarded. Maybe a case number scenario would be appropriate? That way you could see the progress on your report.

Cagle

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
They need to make 3D mode as detailed and widespread as google maps; better resolution flyovers will mean clearer views of buildings, negating the need for streetview...

AlA5R.jpg

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is just bells and whistles, Apple needs to fix the incorrect locations and missing POIs first.
I agree.

In fact in the test I did of various locations it's a bit hit or miss. There's still a huge number of locations that are... well... fuzzy to put it nicely.

Apple has a very long road ahead.

It's almost like BAD KARMA from the various legal assaults and product blocking they've been practicing.

----------

They need to make 3D mode as detailed and widespread as google maps

I don't think Apple will be able to match Google for a very long time.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
To lead in an industry you can't be 8 years behind the competition.

I know, right? Apple should never have developed the iPhone - other companies had been doing smartphones for years.

Apple should never have developed the iPad - other companies had been doing tablets for years.

:rolleyes:

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
And how Apple will shorten the advantage?

Improving their maps, in terms of accuracy, and more flyover

----------

Hope they are wokring on other places "LIKE AFRICA" :cool:

I can confirm that my city in Africa is working better than wi google maps. I'd like flyover though

----------

I can understand having THA FAITH in Apple. Eventually their Maps will be pretty decent. But lets not sell the competition short here. At least on Android, Google Maps already had vector maps since 2010, already has 3D flyovers very similar to Apple's, has turn by turn voice guided navigation, has Streetview since...years, and has, as of writing, considerably more complete and accurate maps. They're even starting an initiative to map out building interiors.

Those advantages were because of googles terms that they had laid.that was the reason the new maps were created in the first place

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I love Apple's Maps. I used Map app even today. Sure it will takes time to be similiar to google maps data, but the app is awesome.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
How is an axionometric view ala flyover useless but a top-down graphical view is non-useless?

They all are useful.

I want to see the streets and where to turn, not the pretty 3D buildings, when I'm driving. I wanted to see the buildings, I would look up.

If I'm showing off, then Flyover is great, because who doesn't want to see the Space Needle in 3D? if you are not walking/driving around the city.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Sounds similar to Siri with the 4S. A cool feature to show off, but I don't use it that often.

I hope that they add public transportation to the maps app. If they add it back, then I'll probably upgrade back to ios 6

I use Siri since few weeks because only iOS6 made Siri available in italian language... but it is AWSOME and very useful. I used it all day in my car. I also use i a lot at work while doing other operation which keeps my hands busy like opening a macbook.

Renzatic

Suspended
However the 'head start and not standing still' point is a little misleading.

If Google were standing still they'd be going backwards. Mapping data is a perishable product. As Apple's maps were getting better, Google's would be getting worse. So at some point the lead becomes immaterial.

Assuming, of course, that Google does absolutely nothing, or take their current lead for granted and don't hurry themselves along to improve upon what they already have.

Though truthfully, I doubt we'll be seeing a true winner on the pure data front. Once your maps are perfectly accurate, there isn't much you can do to make your maps better than the competitions. At that point, the biggest issue will be who can update changes the fastest and offer lower levels of detail, which leads to...

The difference very rapidly will be purely in who has the most data collection infrastructure. Apple are going to need to spend some serious money.

This, which is Apple's achilles heel, and Google's bread and butter. For Apple to out-google Google, they'll have to, like you said, spend a serious amount of cash and time both just to try to match what they've been doing for well over a decade now.

Try being the key word here, because I doubt Google will be sitting around waiting for Apple to beat them at the one thing they do best. They'll be spending tons of money to offer a passable experience, and likely never be quite as good at it. And lets face it, beyond storefronts, Apple never has been very strong at offering up internet services. In fact, they kinda suck at it.

When you really think about it, you'll see that Apple Maps will eventually become good as a navigation and GPS app, but will never match Google Maps at offering pure information down to the lowest level possible. Like 'ole Steve said, it's not in their DNA.

Last edited:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
TBH the duration of time google has an edge over apple maps is only temporary. Very soon, the only advantage will be street view. And I personally prefer flyover

That's an interesting point. After all, it will be much faster to fly over the entire country than it will be to drive down all the roads. The only problem being it's well, not street view. But much easier to cover rural areas.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
We can gripe all day about the problems that still exist, but one thing is clear from this thread: Apple is moving fast to make Maps better. Given the foundation of great technology behind this app (vector maps, offline caching, etc.), Maps is going to be widely appreciated sooner than we all think.

I think Google is in many ways going to be scrambling to play catch up in about a year. I think three months from now Apple Maps will be substantially better than it is today.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just added a missing fuel station to both Google and Apples' maps. It was nice to have the option in Google to be notified when it's updated and/or if they have questions. Apple should do the same.

So I will see how long it takes for this to be updated in my little town.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.