Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riseabovehate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
What should I buy? The MacBook Pro or the iPhone 5?
The iPhone 5 here is kind of overpriced, ranges from $800-850 for the 32gb, and the MacBook Pro is $1199. I can only afford one (I am still a hs student, so I don't have the enough money to buy both)
My current phone now is a Nokia.. Which I bought a year and a half ago, and I have a netbook, an acer one. Bought it like two and a half years ago.
I don't know what to buy, and I won't be able to buy it till december..
Got plenty of time but I am confused.. Please help me choose!!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
you are comparing 2 different things here.
Personally I get the Mac, it does more, and you get more out of it. You can't type a 40 page paper on an iPhone.

riseabovehate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
When the iPhone 5 came out, I really wanted to buy it, and decided that I will. But when I heard of the price it kinda bothered me, because with just a few more dollars I can already buy myself a Macbook.
What I like about the iPhone is its camera. Which I can use almost everyday, and I can bring it anywhere and in school.
What I like about the MacBook is that I can go online with ease and I can watch movies anytime I wanted to. But I can't bring it everyday in school.. (I can, but its a lil bit of a hassle)
So now, I don't know what to buy.
My main purpose for the MacBook is to watch movies and go online, and for the iPhone is to take pictures and to have a decent phone. (I have the iPod Touch 4th generation btw)
Please help me decide.. Thankyou!!

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Hmm.. you have a few options here. You could buy a new MacBook Air or Pro with an education discount and save $100 on a MPB or $50 on an Air by Googling "Apple Store for Education", then click on that and type in your zip code and choose your school. You can also check out the Apple refurbished store, and score some pretty cool deals there. One other option is start a new contract and get a free iPhone 4, then buy a MacBook. You can even look into buying a used MacBook on eBay. In my personal opinion, I would try the free iPhone 4, then get an Apple Store refurb MacBook or a nice used model on eBay. Hope I helped, and have a great day. :)

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
over 500 views, 3 replies. I'll just say it (everyone is thinking it). What a dumb question. Sounds like you shouldn't buy either. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

riseabovehate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Hmm.. you have a few options here. You could buy a new MacBook Air or Pro with an education discount and save $100 on a MPB or $50 on an Air by Googling "Apple Store for Education", then click on that and type in your zip code and choose your school. You can also check out the Apple refurbished store, and score some pretty cool deals there. One other option is start a new contract and get a free iPhone 4, then buy a MacBook. You can even look into buying a used MacBook on eBay. In my personal opinion, I would try the free iPhone 4, then get an Apple Store refurb MacBook or a nice used model on eBay. Hope I helped, and have a great day. :)

Thanks for your opinion!! But I don't live in the US, the iPhone 4 here is not for free.. I guess its still around $35 per month or so.. And we don't have any apple stores here (as of now). I live in the Philippines :)
I can buy the refurbished one if ever outside the country.. Or just buy a new one if I decided to buy a MacBook instead of an iPhone..
Is the discount for the MacBooks available to all countries who have the apple store?

----------

over 500 views, 3 replies. I'll just say it (everyone is thinking it). What a dumb question. Sounds like you shouldn't buy either. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

I am sorry if I am dumb enough to ask that kind of question. I just think that asking this question might help me decide in which to buy. I've been saving up my money for quite sometime now.. And I guess I have the right to use my own money. Am I right?
Thank you for your opinion

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Have you considered the COST of the phone beyond the initial purchase price? Do remember that you're looking at a $75+ phone bill (that you would need a credit history to get, anyway) or a minimum $50 prepaid bill (we use StraightTalk; $49.10 for sort-of unlimited everything after taxes). Can you pay either of those, EVERY MONTH? If not, then the computer would be the smarter choice.

And if you're using a netbook, I don't know why you'd even consider buying the iPhone. :D If you're going on a phone plan with your parents or have your own income and can afford the monthly bill, why don't you consider something like this? Used iPhone 4 from eBay (about $200, give or take) and a nice Windows 7 laptop (not some garbage Walmart $299 special; plan on spending at least $500-600). You're out LESS money and you have BOTH devices.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
another way to look at it

Allow me to give you another perspective...why Apple at all ? I am sure you have realised that the price of an Apple product (and the accompanying eco-system) is a put off. Apple laptop + iPhone is a good combination if you can afford it (high entry charge) but so is Android + Windows (low entry charge). Windows and Android have improved vastly and they get the job done. If not Android, then Windows 8 mobiles definitely deserve a look. If you go this way, you might have enough cash to afford both a laptop and a decent phone
My 2 cents...

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
...I can only afford one (I am still a hs student, so I don't have the enough money to buy both)

When people ask buying advice on technology, their financial situation usually isn't the first thing that has to be considered, unless they mention it themselves when they ask the question. Therefore, based on your above quote, my advice would be to not buy either of these products.

If you only have enough money to afford the buying price, how do you account for possible damage to device, future maintenance costs, software costs, phone bills, peripheral costs...you see where I'm going with this. By spending a large part of your money on a phone or computer you can really hinder yourself in terms of taking advantage of the product by purchasing what some would argue as essential add-ons.

That being said, if you just asked which one to buy with no mention of financial situation, like stated in above replies, the iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro are completely different products. It's hard to compare them in the way you asked, and we need more information from you (what you use technology for, what kind of hardware you have now, what you are planning to do with the technology, etc...) to make a valid recommendation.

Last edited:

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
When people ask buying advice on technology, their financial situation usually isn't the first thing that has to be considered, unless they mention it themselves when they ask the question. Therefore, based on your above quote, my advice would be to not buy either of these products.

This! Usually when I see post like this I take it as trolling. First, iPhone 5 and MBP are two totally different systems. And second I don't see how being a HS student has anything to do with making the purchase unless like aaagat111 said you can't afford in which case you shouldn't buy either.

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
Honestly, if I were you, I would go for the MacBook Air. You are a HS student, right? The air is thin and light and would probably be faster than the pro. It's perfect for a student :)

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I suggest you buy a base model macbook pro or air. You can look for a iphone 3gs/4 on craigslist for cheap.

JayP1189

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Im gonna give u the best advice ever. Go to Best Buy, finance a macbook 18-month interest free. Pay nothing and walk out the door, 100$ per month. Get the Iphone too. Best investment I've ever made even tho im a college student with hardly any work. Not too difficult to come up with $100 a month.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
I don't think it's a stupid question. Seems reasonable to me.

I agree with what a few others have said: look into getting a cheaper iPhone. The iPhone 5 is really expensive for what it is. So, iPhone 4 or 4S. You could even look at 2nd hand options on ebay, but choose carefully from a seller with really good feedback.

Also, what the guy said above about the educational discount for your Macbook. Not only do you get a percentage off the price, but you also get *free* 3 year AppleCare, which is great. Seems to be available in your country too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.