Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lggreat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hi Guys, just a quick note for people who are using palm rest or keyboard cover for their RMBPs. Apple suggest customers do not put anything between the original palm rest and screen since it may damage the display, so I think i have to take off my carbon fiber sticker now:(
Link to Apple's note: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384

Symptoms
Leaving palm rest covers or other material on the palm rest surface of your computer could result in damage to the display when you close it.

Resolution
To enable thin design, the clearance between the display and the palm rest area is engineered to tight tolerances. Do not use palm rest covers as the added thickness may interfere with the designed resting position of the display.

As a best practice, keep the palm rest clear of any material.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow, that is actually a bummer. The first thing I do with any laptop from Apple is toss on a palm rest cover. Have you tried Zagg or Best Skins Ever? Those are the thinnest I believe. Maybe you can get something cheap now that Apple is officially saying not to apply them. How exactly does it damage the display though?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I would add keyboard protectors to this as well.

On an earlier rMBP that I returned (LG panel), I had a Moshi keyboard protector on it. Shut it once, opened it, and there was a noticeable pattern of squares from the silicone on the display. It was just a dust-outline but it was obvious that a speck of debris would have easily scratched the surface.

I have a KB protector on my new rMBP but it doesn't get closed with it on.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON

On an earlier rMBP that I returned (LG panel), I had a Moshi keyboard protector on it. Shut it once, opened it, and there was a noticeable pattern of squares from the silicone on the display. It was just a dust-outline but it was obvious that a speck of debris would have easily scratched the surface.

Good thing you mentioned this I was going to buy the Moshi clear silicone cover for the RMBP now that it leaves a mark on the display I will only place it on when the laptop will be open. I suggest you keep that thin piece of paper that comes with the RMBP when you first buy it....Just place it back when your done using the laptop so there is no scratches on your display....

bilxl

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
I was surprised to read this one from Apple. I am also using moshi's keyboard cap and on the top using Radtech's keyboard cover cloth. Guess i wont be doing that anymore. May be only using it while typing and taking it off when shutting the machine down.

I have a palm guard on thou, its a thin zagg like skin . im still not sure to take that one off, any suggestions guys ?

D-Love

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I was surprised to read this one from Apple. I am also using moshi's keyboard cap and on the top using Radtech's keyboard cover cloth. Guess i wont be doing that anymore. May be only using it while typing and taking it off when shutting the machine down.

I have a palm guard on thou, its a thin zagg like skin . im still not sure to take that one off, any suggestions guys ?
This is my exact arrangement. I have the moshi clear keyboard cover with the Radtech cloth that covers the entire keyboard and wrist rest. I ordered it especially for the retina Macbook Pro and thought at the moment that it was funny that they had separate models as both the regular and retina MBP have the same keyboard footprint. It seems the difference with the retina MBP cover is that the cloth is significantly thinner as they do mention the tight tolerances in the product description.

Now, the problem is simply a possible scratching of the display right? So the Radtech keyboard cover cloth should solve this problem. Right?

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012

That isn't something new. I had a keyboard protector on my old Macbook and it had those marks and others that I know who have keyboard protectors have this issue.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
that's what I figured when I got some keyboard covers.. figured it was touch the screen all the time. never used it after buying..

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I take my keyboard cover off when I close the lid. Even better reason to get radtech w such close tolerances. id rather have the screen rest on the cloth then get scratched by something else.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
So even a shaggymac is no good? They advertise or the rMBP, but it is the same model as the cMBP.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
So even a shaggymac is no good? They advertise or the rMBP, but it is the same model as the cMBP.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have been using a Palmguard on my MacBook Pro with Retina display since day one. I travel with my computer daily. I don't have any issues and I'm not sure why Apple cares.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
yeah so now i can't use my shaggymac? :( neither moshi keyboard cover =/
;((((( this sucks man

btw someone here who has seen both screensavrz for retina display and shaggymac which one is thinner? it says 0.6 for the shaggymac but cant find any info on screensavrz

Last edited:

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Still trying to get my head around this. Apple specifically mention palm rest covers, and I imagine they imply all sorts of keyboard covers, screen protectors, etc. I currently have a KB covers keyboard protector and a Radtech cloth between the screen and the keyboard when closed. Is it the potential for scratching this notice is addressing or the strain placed on the screen (slight bending or whatever) when it is closed on another material? The Titanium PowerBook had 'tight' allowances and many people suffered from having the keyboard actually scratch the screen while closed. Part of the reason I bought the Radtech cover was to save my rMBP from the same fate. Now I'm told to leave the keyboard to make contact with the screen if any pressure is exerted on the case?

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
The question remains though, what is best to prevent scratching the screen then?

Serveral people have already complained about chipping/"pitting" of the screen where the edge between the trackpad and spacebar touch the screen when it's closed.

I don't have one yet but I'm a bit hesitant to buy a rMBP now, I was about to get one last week but this put me off, I don't really want to have to be too careful not to put pressure my laptop as I often need to transport it in a big full bag. If I can't use a shaggymac slip or something to prevent this then what would be best?

Maybe the little paper thing that Apple provides would be enough?

Jack9034

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
If you do keep a keyboard cover on but keep the piece of paper that the screen came with on as well will it do any bad?

mdapple

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
have been using wrapsol palmrest... no issues =/ and dont see why there would be

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2012
so all palm rest covers will ruin the screen for macbook retina ? Even those that say designed for macbook retina ? I was thinking of a palm rest cover

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Epic fail apple!

There we are for the record. You paid good money (I hope you earned it) for this gadget so you better be able to put what ever you want on and in it. Those totalitarians up there can't dictate and pass around wive's tales of what not to put on your palm rests! Sheesh!

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
Let's see, everyone wants Apple products because they're so well made BUT, when they get them they bitch about the close tolerance on the build.....I'm confused! :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe I should just leave it as "you can't please everyone"! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.