Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
My GS3 lets you choose between 16:9 or 4:3 pics. Iphone users are not even given choice.

I doubt you are getting a true 16:9. The sensor is probably scaled to 4:3, with other options being simply a digital zoom/crop.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
It makes me sad that, after more than a century of photography, some children on the internet think that established standards should be thrown away because of the shape of a cell phone screen.

Never mind what happens when people try to get their photos made into prints and find that no photo print shops, frames, or albums are suited for these hypothetical 16x9 photos. Some black boarders on the screen are confusing to people, apparently, but that wouldn't be?

4x6?
8x10?
5x7?

^This

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.

AFAIK, my iPhone 4/4S also displays taken-photos zoomed-in a little bit.
If I completely zoom out, I would get black bars at the top and bottom.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
AFAIK, my iPhone 4/4S also displays taken-photos zoomed-in a little bit.
If I completely zoom out, I would get black bars at the top and bottom.

Interesting. I just tried this on my 4S and indeed there are black bars on the top and bottom if I zoom completely out. This means that photos are zoomed to full screen by default. I wonder why this behavior has changed?

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I want to take the picture like this ratio with my camera but can't

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 189

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
The bottom line is there is no sane reason this is not a user selectable option.

There is no reason the camera app shouldn't allow you to set the desired aspect ratio and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to dial in exposure compensation, or desired resolution. It's odd that you can crop to whatever ratio you want after the fact, but it has to be done to each individual picture -- a time consuming process.

This is particularly disappointing when one of the big selling points (for me at least) was the airplay capability. Projecting 4:3 pictures onto my 16:9 flatscreen TV is underwhelming.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
The bottom line is there is no sane reason this is not a user selectable option.

There is no reason the camera app shouldn't allow you to set the desired aspect ratio and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to dial in exposure compensation, or desired resolution. It's odd that you can crop to whatever ratio you want after the fact, but it has to be done to each individual picture -- a time consuming process.

This is particularly disappointing when one of the big selling points (for me at least) was the airplay capability. Projecting 4:3 pictures onto my 16:9 flatscreen TV is underwhelming.

I agree. I took some awesome sunset pictures tonight and displayed them on my HDTV via AirPlay. 4:3 was a bummer.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I agree. I took some awesome sunset pictures tonight and displayed them on my HDTV via AirPlay. 4:3 was a bummer.

So take a panorama shot instead. :p It's apple's way of giving us that option I guess. Obviously not my preferred method because who know what aspect ratio you'll end up with. I think I'll send some feedback about this request and maybe, just maybe they'll add in an option later on down the road.

Last edited:

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.

Why don't you take the pic in 4:3 and zoom in yourself if you want to fill the screen? Or crop it to 16:9. What are we talking about again?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I agree with the OP. I would like my pictures to fit the whole widescreen. This is lame and the pics look small and weird now.

Give the screen a spread!!! Geez! It's an 8mp camera. Just spread it out until it fills the screen. Dang you people are picky and full of complaints & Never satisfied.

----------

Sorry! The imaging sensor is not shapped that way. It is more square than rectangle. The only camera that comes close is the the Mamiya RB67 which is a 6x7cm film camera. My Nikon D800e, which is a pro camera with 36.3mp will not even shoot at that format.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
That's correct. Sensors in phones are 4:3 and a 16:9 is just cropping the top and bottom bits off to achieve a wider ratio.

And the photos are 6mp as opposed to 8.

there will be a tweak when the iphone 5 is jailbroken im sure of that.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah you can. View the image, tap "Edit", tap the crop button, tap "restrict dimensions", choose "16x9". Cameras that have a 16:9 option do this automatically, but it's the same process.

Applesethi

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
iPhone five shoots video in 16 x 9 aspect ratio therefore the only way you can take a widescreen shot is by capturing a photo whilst shooting a video this works for me check out the photo quality isn't that great but it's still good at my mums 46 inch fullscreen Samsung TV

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It makes me sad that, after more than a century of photography, some children on the internet think that established standards should be thrown away because of the shape of a cell phone screen.

4x6?
8x10?
5x7?

Is any of this ringing a bell?

Fact is those "Standards" were ill-conceived to begin with and should have been thrown away years ago. 4x6 is a 1:1.5 ratio, 5x7 is 1:1.4, and 8x10 is 1:1.25. As you enlarge the photo, more and more of it gets cropped off.

35mm still negatives are 1:1.5 (24mmx36mm). 4x6 works with that, but it should be 5x7.5 and 8x12 to properly scale.

HeyGuessWhoItIs

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
But....

Hey, this is all well and good and I realize there are ways that users have suggested to show 16:9 landscape and 3:2 portrait full screen ratios but, that's CROPPING the photo. Why would I want to crop the photo?? In no way am I complaining, but for those of us who choose to use regular CAMERAS for photography (including print) and want to use our phones forlet's say displaying images on our phones (without cropping them), then what are alternatives??

Reference Point (closed thread)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459118/

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
The only phone I am aware of that shoots widescreen photos as an option is the Droid Razr Maxx.

Yep. Most motorola phones (like the Atrix 2) have a 6MP shooting mode that shoot pictures in widescreen. Personally, I don't like it at all. I usually switch to 8MP

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Yeah you can. View the image, tap "Edit", tap the crop button, tap "restrict dimensions", choose "16x9". Cameras that have a 16:9 option do this automatically, but it's the same process.

This is a good option. I didn't realize it was there (thank you!) Also, stretching the photo via zoom works too. Single tap restores it to original aspect.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I had this same "issue" when I first got the 5. But it makes complete sense now. SLRs shoot in 3:2 and the 5's ratio is 16:9, and the 4/4S is 4:3. So pictures will look different depending on the "monitor" you are using.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I had this same "issue" when I first got the 5. But it makes complete sense now. SLRs shoot in 3:2 and the 5's ratio is 16:9, and the 4/4S is 4:3. So pictures will look different depending on the "monitor" you are using.

SLRs shoot in 4:3 and the 4/4S is 3:2.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I know it might not be pure but i really wish the lens was setup to take full screen pics.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC

Does this lower the resolution of the pic? Or does only zooming lower resolution?

mandark100

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
India
Many phones does have the option to take photos in widescreen(obviously the resolution is lower. If the phone has a 8MP camera widescreen photos are of 6/5MP). I don't know if there is any option to capture widescreen photo in iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.