Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Aug 4, 2012
Just so you all know. This Birchwood-Casey product is actually an acid that permanently etches metal. I have a bottle of it that I use for blackening brass hinges. It has to be shipped UPS ground as the FAA won't allow acids on airplanes.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I bought this for a nearly unnoticeable scuff on the back bottom corner. I'll post a pic of the match when it comes... Hopefully it ends up being a good one.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
id imagine it would work for corners and edges, but would be noticeable for flat surfaces? would love to see some results

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
I just received my BC Super Black(Flat) instant touch up pen to cover a white edge of the back bottom of the iPhone and the chamfer. Some here say it etches into the aluminum, but all it did was sit on it and then easily wiped off. The white edge still showing.

IMO it didn't work. Maybe it will on a nick in the chamfer, but on an edge or flat surface, not so sure. Also, it is black. The sides of the iPhone are slate, and so it does show easily. Since the chamfered edge is black and glossy, people should purchase that pen. just for the chamfer.

The warnings on the package also state "Warning: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer".

jerrahh

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I just received my BC Super Black(Flat) instant touch up pen to cover a white edge of the back bottom of the iPhone and the chamfer. Some here say it etches into the aluminum, but all it did was sit on it and then easily wiped off. The white edge still showing.

IMO it didn't work. Maybe it will on a nick in the chamfer, but on an edge or flat surface, not so sure. Also, it is black. The sides of the iPhone are slate, and so it does show easily. Since the chamfered edge is black and glossy, people should purchase that pen. just for the chamfer.

The warnings on the package also state "Warning: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer".

everything in cali causes cancer, like every item says that lol.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just so you all know. This Birchwood-Casey product is actually an acid that permanently etches metal. I have a bottle of it that I use for blackening brass hinges. It has to be shipped UPS ground as the FAA won't allow acids on airplanes.

Pretty sure that the bottled stuff is different.
I've used it on flashlight parts and they really need to be clean and prepped to get good results.
This stuff looks like a simple paint pen.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Exactly. I purchased at a hardware store, a black Krylon Paint Pen, and both had the same results, and both wipe right off.

This may be a bit of an obvious question, but did you let it dry before attempting to wipe it off?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I bought this for a nearly unnoticeable scuff on the back bottom corner. I'll post a pic of the match when it comes... Hopefully it ends up being a good one.

id imagine it would work for corners and edges, but would be noticeable for flat surfaces? would love to see some results

I am very curious to see some before and after results fire away fellas

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
So thus far, there are absolutely no success stories with this product despite the numerous topics regarding its use?

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Sharpie marker is cheaper and much more readily available. Although I think any repair is only going to be temporary short of having the case re-anodized.

Also touching up a scratch will never make the damage disappear... it'll just make it less noticeable.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I think the confusion is that Birchwood Casey does make an aluminum blackening fluid that does actually etch the metal, not just a paint. Here it is Aluminum Black I believe it leaves a thin oxide layer on the aluminum.

I have used this stuff on gunparts. Let me say this: it is better than a paint pen, not anywhere close to true anodizing. Your surface must be absoutely clean (i.e. degreased with alcohol), and it still may not work well and rub right off. If it does work, it is better than a Sharpie. If you want to take the trouble, I have actually had best experience of all applying paint over this treatment, for a double-coating.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.